Red Rocks show question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCUFrog

The Fly
I've just noticed that the video for the Red Rocks show starts with Surrender, but all the setlists say the show started with Out of Control. I downloaded the complete show over at U2exit.com, and both songs have the same introduction (Obviuosly one has been altered). So which song did the show REALLY start with??? :confused:

I've never seen the Red Rocks video... :(

But on my Red Rocks cds, it starts with someone introducing U2, and then they start right into Out Of Control.

i figured the video would be edited...in out of control, you can hear bono saying "good evening....here we go!", so i figured it must be the start of the show.

this is true....

Also is the version of 'i threw a brick' and 'a day without me' diffrent (and better) on the video or is it just my version?

Blue Room said:
Out Of Control started the show. The video is edited.

Sadly every U2 live stuff ( since Under A Blood Red Sky until Slane Castle ) has been edited :(

In "Under a Blood Red Sky" Video we have near half of the original setlist cut out ( Songs like "Out Of Control", "Two Hearts Beat As One", "Twilight", etc, etc ) :sad:

In "Under a Blood Red Sky" album, the songs were chosen from 3 performances: Boston, Denver ( United States ) and St Goarshausen ( Germany ). The most noticeable editing was Bono´s speech before "Sunday Bloody Sunday". In the actual version he said some German words !! :censored:

In "Zoo TV Sidney" the song "Trying To Trow Your Arms Around The World" was cut out. Some other few editings was applied. :(

"Pop Mart Mexico City" was also edited. I can´t remember all editings now

"Boston DVD" was the most evident edited video ever :sad: It was taken from 3 performances, one clear example is "Stay" and "Kite". Also don´t contain the whole show

"Slane Castle DVD" also contains editings :sad:

That´s the reason why many fans we love to collect bootlegs :heart:
Despite all bootlegs don´t have enough sound quality, contains the FULL and REAL concert at the same time, giving us the real live experience concept :cool:

Peace :wave:

what's up? i just graduated last year. nice to see a fellow horned frog here. i've actually been coming here for a few years now.. when i was in the dorms, i was hooked on WIRE, now this..

what types of edits were in popmart mexico city? i watched the hbo live broadcast, but haven't seen the official video. was that not really live? haven't seen both to compare.

TCUFrog said:

what types of edits were in popmart mexico city? i watched the hbo live broadcast, but haven't seen the official video. was that not really live? haven't seen both to compare.

The Popmart video is probebly the most complete of their official releases. Minor editing of a few lines Bono said in between a couple of songs otherwise its pretty complete.

Tryin was cut from the Sydney video because of the girl Bono brought up on stage to share the drink. They did not have permission to use her image.

People Get Ready was cut from the Elevation Boston DVD for a similiar reason and of course One is missing as well. Apparantly had something to do with the level of picture quality they wanted and space on the DVD as a result.

Slane is fairly complete, Mysterious Ways obviously is missing (but is there partially in bonus footage). The part I dont like is where they intercut shots from the first Slane show and mixed them with the DVD.

Red Rocks 83 is the most chopped up of all of them. The rumor is that the complete show may be released on DVD at some point. Apparantly a company in Denver has all the footage and they want to release it. We will have to wait and see. Most likely though what will happen is a DVD release of the exact same footage that is on the video. The audio of the full show though is readily available in the trading community.

ya know, this show still pisses me off. I had so many close calls to great shows. I was six years old and living in Denver the year this show occurred. Never heard of U2 at that point but still pissed I missed that show.

My fiance went to the Irving Plaza show a year before he met me. and he never lets me forget that.

sharky said:
ya know, this show still pisses me off. I had so many close calls to great shows. I was six years old and living in Denver the year this show occurred. Never heard of U2 at that point but still pissed I missed that show.

My fiance went to the Irving Plaza show a year before he met me. and he never lets me forget that.

I know how you feel but I think I have you beat. When I was visiting my brother in Birmingham AL, a little known band played a one night off show in 1987 the week I was there at a bar in Southside called Louie, Louie's. The name of the band? The Dalton Brothers. You do the the math. Some of my brothers friends went though. But if I had somehow been able to go and get in it would have been unbelievable. I found out the next day actually that it was them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom