"Red Hill Mining Town" is the best track on The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pub crawler said:
There will be no further discussion of this issue. :|

Threads were meant to be discussed. :D

RHMT has some great lyrics...these are some faves of mine...

"We're wounded by fear
Injured in doubt,
I can lose myself
You I can't live without"

I love that song...I actually have not listened to it in quite sometime...I think I'm going to do that now.

could be, but it gets heavily challenged by One Tree Hill, Where The Streets Have No Name, With Or Without You, I Still Haven't Found...

ishkash said:
could be, but it gets heavily challenged by One Tree Hill, Where The Streets Have No Name, With Or Without You, I Still Haven't Found...
Aren't you forgetting 'Running To Stand Still'? Possibly the best song on the album.

You know - one thing that never ceases to amaze me: that it is even possible to have an album with a song such as 'With or Without You' on it, and still have no definitive best song. How is that possible? Well, it's rather simple. Include a whole album full of other-wordly songs, and let God decide. At least that seemed to be U2's philosophy on The Joshua Tree.

People say Achtung Baby is their best album, but the only song that even comes close to the other-worldly component found on JT is 'One'. Even if you polled only the people who list AB as a favourite, *most* of them would say 'One' is the clear-cut best song on that album. If you polled all U2 fans as to which songs on Achtung Baby are other-worldly classics, again 'One' would be the definitive and mostly likely *only* pick. On JT, however, you would get several responses: 'Streets'; 'Still Haven't Found'; 'With or Without You' being the most common picks. It's kind of scary that there are other songs on the album that are just as good. That's one of the major differences between Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. Both masterpieces, but one left the Earth without actually leaving it at all, while the other dove right in, burrowing itself inside the arteries of the human heart. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
If only the Dublin boys would release the long lost RHMT video......

"running to stand still" is easily among the best songs ever written by anyone, seems that maybe it should receive underrated status since the band has so foolishly ignored it during the last two tours

ishkash said:

Yes, forget best describes what happened over there.
Please elaborate. I don't follow. By "over there," are you talking about the part of Dublin that Bono wrote the song about? In which case, I assume you are being sarcastic. However, I do not want to make any assumptions, as I don't know what you are alluding to. Fill me in!:)

FallingStar said:
Red Hill Mining Town is the the best vocally song on JT. :yes:
While that may be true, I'm still not convinced. The vocals on 'I Still Haven't Found' also showcase Bono at the top of his register, while also holding the notes with full open voice. It's like he's shouting out of a window in a tower, for the whole country to hear him. It's a vocal that just kind of grabs you, no matter where you are and how you are listening - whether it be on the radio, on your discman, or at home on the stereo.

Of course, the vocals on 'With or Without You' are stunning as well. That's one of the only songs that I feel Bono truly out-did himself ('Angel of Harlem' being another). The way he goes from lower to mid, to high range is amazing. It's like his voice dances in those songs.

I always used to skip over Red Hill Mining Town while listening to JT straight through...But listening to it by itself I actually really began to like it. It doesn't seem to fit the rest of the mood of JT imo...While it's a good song, my JT favorite would have to be One Tree Hill. :happy:

Michael Griffiths said:

While that may be true, I'm still not convinced. The vocals on 'I Still Haven't Found' also showcase Bono at the top of his register, while also holding the notes with full open voice. It's like he's shouting out of a window in a tower, for the whole country to hear him. It's a vocal that just kind of grabs you, no matter where you are and how you are listening - whether it be on the radio, on your discman, or at home on the stereo.

Of course, the vocals on 'With or Without You' are stunning as well. That's one of the only songs that I feel Bono truly out-did himself ('Angel of Harlem' being another). The way he goes from lower to mid, to high range is amazing. It's like his voice dances in those songs.
But RHMT was never performed live because Bono couldn't get his voice sound like in the 'I'm hanging on...' part on stage. Whereas I'm Still Haven't Found could be played live.

FallingStar said:

But RHMT was never performed live because Bono couldn't get his voice sound like in the 'I'm hanging on...' part on stage. Whereas I'm Still Haven't Found could be played live.
While it is true that they couldn't play RHMT live because of the high notes (as they were on the album), I believe they never really altered the song enough to do so. If you notice, 'I Still Haven't Found' has been changed considerably from the studio version - and is performed at a much lower key. I don' think Bono has ever been able to perform it live as he did on The Joshua Tree - and that's even during The Joshua Tree era. U2 have done this with a lot of songs, actually. Remember how no one thought he could hit the notes in 'Kite' live? Well, he didn't have to, because they just dropped the key. 'Pride' is another obvious one.

Michael Griffiths said:

While it is true that they couldn't play RHMT live because of the high notes (as they were on the album), I believe they never really altered the song enough to do so. If you notice, 'I Still Haven't Found' has been changed considerably from the studio version - and is performed at a much lower key. I don' think Bono has ever been able to perform it live as he did on The Joshua Tree - and that's even during The Joshua Tree era. U2 have done this with a lot of songs, actually. Remember how no one thought he could hit the notes in 'Kite' live? Well, he didn't have to, because they just dropped the key. 'Pride' is another obvious one.
But the album version of RHMT is nevertheless one of the best - if not THE - best vocal song on JT - you admitted it. :mac:

FUKIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'

when i first bought the cd , Red Hill Minning Town , was and still is one of my favourites by U2 , great voice , so different , but after all , Jushua Tree is U2's best work , need no words .

:up: :up: :bow: :bow:

Michael Griffiths said:

Aren't you forgetting 'Running To Stand Still'? Possibly the best song on the album.

You know - one thing that never ceases to amaze me: that it is even possible to have an album with a song such as 'With or Without You' on it, and still have no definitive best song. How is that possible? Well, it's rather simple. Include a whole album full of other-wordly songs, and let God decide. At least that seemed to be U2's philosophy on The Joshua Tree.

People say Achtung Baby is their best album, but the only song that even comes close to the other-worldly component found on JT is 'One'. Even if you polled only the people who list AB as a favourite, *most* of them would say 'One' is the clear-cut best song on that album. If you polled all U2 fans as to which songs on Achtung Baby are other-worldly classics, again 'One' would be the definitive and mostly likely *only* pick. On JT, however, you would get several responses: 'Streets'; 'Still Haven't Found'; 'With or Without You' being the most common picks. It's kind of scary that there are other songs on the album that are just as good. That's one of the major differences between Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. Both masterpieces, but one left the Earth without actually leaving it at all, while the other dove right in, burrowing itself inside the arteries of the human heart. Just my opinion, though.

You know Michael, I agree with you to a point. However, I think that what your post neglects to point out is that just because every song is great doesn't mean the album is great. I know that sounds odd, but if you think about it it can make a bit of sense. I think Joshua Tree is a great collection of songs, however I think that Achtung baby is the better album. I just think that AB is one great continuous piece. Sometimes, I think it's a concept album; it all fits together so well. While the Joshua tree album has some of the bands best songs, I don't think it has the same ebb and flow that AB has. This is of course purely opionated. Feel free to discuss.

By the way, just to stay on topic, I think Red Hill mining Town is a close second on JT, right behind One Tree Hill. End of story :sexywink:

Peace.

pop_mofo said:

You know Michael, I agree with you to a point. However, I think that what your post neglects to point out is that just because every song is great doesn't mean the album is great. I know that sounds odd, but if you think about it it can make a bit of sense. I think Joshua Tree is a great collection of songs, however I think that Achtung baby is the better album. I just think that AB is one great continuous piece. Sometimes, I think it's a concept album; it all fits together so well. While the Joshua tree album has some of the bands best songs, I don't think it has the same ebb and flow that AB has. This is of course purely opionated. Feel free to discuss.

By the way, just to stay on topic, I think Red Hill mining Town is a close second on JT, right behind One Tree Hill. End of story :sexywink:

Peace.

:yes: I get what you're saying here, definitely. IMHO, AB is much more cohesive as an album. The songs all seem to share a common thread...With JT, there are some songs (specifically RHMT and TTYW) that stick out like sore thumbs to me...Not that they're not great songs...it just seems like they really don't fit with the rest.

wertsie said:

:yes: I get what you're saying here, definitely. IMHO, AB is much more cohesive as an album. The songs all seem to share a common thread...With JT, there are some songs (specifically RHMT and TTYW) that stick out like sore thumbs to me...Not that they're not great songs...it just seems like they really don't fit with the rest.

Glad to see I made a bit of sense :sexywink:

But seriously, to me BTBS and TTYW always broke the flow of The Joshua Tree. They are just too raucous and loud. They seem to be on a totally different wave length in terms of music. those 2 songs just seem to 'appear' out of thin air and have no musical connection to the rest of the album.

Again, this is just my opinion. Comments are always welcome.

Peace.

Michael Griffiths said:

Please elaborate. I don't follow. By "over there," are you talking about the part of Dublin that Bono wrote the song about? In which case, I assume you are being sarcastic. However, I do not want to make any assumptions, as I don't know what you are alluding to. Fill me in!:)

Well now its getting tricky. What I implied with forget was that I obviously forgot about the song "Running to Stand Still" when talking about the potential best song on The Joshua Tree album.By "over there" I refered to the post I made in which I forgot to state the same.

Plus I have have no clue whatsoever regarding the sarcastic part.As much as I like all the U2 albums cause they have different and unique flavours, but I dont like the fact U2= The Joshua Tree full stop, U2= Achtung Baby full stop or U2 = 90's U2 full stop.

This is a very unique, special and a versatile band.It can take ages for bands to mature and progress musically, but U2 manages that very effectively with almost every album. So Achtung Baby is the reason why I like The Joshua Tree, cause they negate each other in many ways. The honesty of Joshua Tree is caricatured by the sarcasms and darkness of Achtung Baby. Same can be said about POP and ATYCLB. While POP is very dense, confusing and exhaustive, ATYCLB is precise,mature and smooth.If you listen to both the albums back to back one gets a feeling that ATYCLB is the answer to the question POP, in terms of meaning and theme.

I like The Joshua Tree, but the feeling that its U2's best album makes me feel that for the last 14 years U2 have wasted so much time in the name of making music. Music is one of those thing where you cannot put finger and say this is perfect.One of the inherent part of good music is some ambiguity or abstract ideas which radiates music's universal appeal in terms of acceptance.This ambiguity or abstractness on the part of the artist makes us feel closer to the song, as if it was about us and makes us think or feel better about what we were thinking.So it all comes back to subjectivity and relating on our own perceptions. Dollar for me could be a just a coin for someone else.

I am saying this because I reckon U2 is talented enough to make the best album ever made.The best part is there is only one band out there who is as talented as them as a band (no its not Coldplay), so not much challenge out there.

ishkash said:
The best part is there is only one band out there who is as talented as them as a band (no its not Coldplay), so not much challenge out there.
Radiohead?

I really liked what you were saying, Ishkash. I think I do understand. You are speaking of U2 more in the metaphysical and esoteric sense, by bringing up how their body of work balances the whole, and which is why none of their albums could ever be the same. Very interesting. I think that for each person, however, each album would affect them differently, and this is the measuring stick that we use in asserting a "best album" title. We view U2 albums as seperate entities, but perhaps we shouldn't be thinking of them that way. Okay, I'm getting too deep for my own good right now.

Stay safe tonight...

we think of Shakespeare in terms of comedies, tragedies, history plays and sonnets...

esoteric?? metaphysical???

christ!! this is rock music for fucks sake! let them sing about it 400 years from now and maybe they'll have it all sorted out

Re: we think of Shakespeare in terms of comedies, tragedies, history plays and sonnets...

The Wanderer said:
esoteric?? metaphysical???

christ!! this is rock music for fucks sake! let them sing about it 400 years from now and maybe they'll have it all sorted out
hee hee hee!!! I knew you would like that!:wink:

People talk about 80's and 90's U2 being separate entities and it usually boils down to JT vs AB. I think it's more pop/soft rock U2 vs rock/alternative U2.
JT is a more "adult contemporary" record whereas AB is the U2 album the rock fans dig more. U2 fans who prefer JT tend to like Coldplay, Travis, REM, Jewel etc, etc and also express affection for ATYCLB and UF. U2 fans who prefer AB tend to express admiration for bands like the Who, Pearl Jam, Radiohead etc, etc and also express affection for War and Pop.

Just a thought.

MAP

Matthew_Page2000 said:
People talk about 80's and 90's U2 being separate entities and it usually boils down to JT vs AB. I think it's more pop/soft rock U2 vs rock/alternative U2.
JT is a more "adult contemporary" record whereas AB is the U2 album the rock fans dig more. U2 fans who prefer JT tend to like Coldplay, Travis, REM, Jewel etc, etc and also express affection for ATYCLB and UF. U2 fans who prefer AB tend to express admiration for bands like the Who, Pearl Jam, Radiohead etc, etc and also express affection for War and Pop.

Just a thought.

MAP
With all due respect, Matthew, I must disagree. The Joshua Tree is the sound of something totally different than anything else, let alone anything adult contemporary. When The Joshua Tree came out, it was one of the most innovative albums of all time. No one had ever heard of the infinite guitar, and Edge was the first to use it in popular music. That's why WOWY sounded like nothing else out there when it came out, and also why critics sincerely thought there were no hit-single-material songs on the album. It's an album that gave us a totally different perspective on the popular music scene. Nothing on that album sounds commercial even to this day. That is why it sounds timeless.

As for your generalization on which fans like which bands, I also disagree. I happen to think JT is the best album of all time, but I also love Radiohead, love Bjork, love The Pixies, and enjoy Smashing Pumpkins and The Verve, as well as Pearl Jam (gasp!), and oh - you'll really like this - I adore the new Coldplay album! I also think Achtung Baby is the 2nd best U2 album of all time, and I also really like Pop. War is also a personal fav. I think Zooropa is one of the most brilliant things the band have ever done. Where does all of that leave me?

I really don't know where this odd conception that JT is "mainstream, adult contemporary" came from. I'm guessing it's the result of it exploding the way it did - but only because it exploded is it mainstream. Going into it, it sounded way too organic to destroy the charts the way it did. There is a reason why Bono said, back in 1987, that "the thought of the world waiting for the JT is ridiculous. It sounds as though it will sell 3 copies."

The fact that it did so well only serves to explain its ability to transcend the world in which we live. For that's the conundrum of The Joshua Tree.

Last edited:
I would say that One Tree Hill is the most emotional song on JT. But then I put it in the register of WOWY and ISHFWILF....it's too cloase a call.

SO I'll stick with the best. One Tree Hill is the best song on JT. It's the most beautiful, the most thought provoking, and deep down, the most meaningful.

Of course, this is all the opinion of one person.

Michael Griffiths said:

With all due respect, Matthew, I must disagree. The Joshua Tree is the sound of something totally different than anything else, let alone anything adult contemporary. When The Joshua Tree came out, it was one of the most innovative albums of all time. No one had ever heard of the infinite guitar, and Edge was the first to use it in popular music. That's why WOWY sounded like nothing else out there when it came out, and also why critics sincerely thought there were no hit-single-material songs on the album. It's an album that gave us a totally different perspective on the popular music scene. Nothing on that album sounds commercial even to this day. That is why it sounds timeless.

As for your generalization on which fans like which bands, I also disagree. I happen to think JT is the best album of all time, but I also love Radiohead, love Bjork, love The Pixies, and enjoy Smashing Pumpkins and The Verve, as well as Pearl Jam (gasp!), and oh - you'll really like this - I adore the new Coldplay album! I also think Achtung Baby is the 2nd best U2 album of all time, and I also really like Pop. War is also a personal fav. I think Zooropa is one of the most brilliant things the band have ever done. Where does all of that leave me?

I really don't know where this odd conception that JT is "mainstream, adult contemporary" came from. I'm guessing it's the result of it exploding the way it did - but only because it exploded is it mainstream. Going into it, it sounded way too organic to destroy the charts the way it did. There is a reason why Bono said, back in 1987, that "the thought of the world waiting for the JT is ridiculous. It sounds as though it will sell 3 copies."

The fact that it did so well only serves to explain its ability to transcend the world in which we live. For that's the conundrum of The Joshua Tree.

I agree with you here Michael. I think one simple thing that goes a long way towards people viewing The Joshua Tree as 'adult contemporary' is the simple fact that the 3 singles from that album get played on these kinds of radio stations. ISHFWILF and WOWY are two songs that are definitely played on those formats. Even Bono has said something to the effect that WOWY doesn't sounds like anything else on the radio, but after you hear it there so many times you just get used to it.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think The Joshua Tree is mainstream sounding. I just think that the album has been co-opted by the mainstream to give itself some credibility.

My 2 cents.

Peace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom