"Red Hill Mining Town" is the best track on The Joshua Tree - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2002, 08:36 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Love RHMT but I would say the best is either One Tree Hill or In God's Country.
__________________

Zoots is offline  
Old 10-01-2002, 09:59 PM   #22
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 333
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie


I get what you're saying here, definitely. IMHO, AB is much more cohesive as an album. The songs all seem to share a common thread...With JT, there are some songs (specifically RHMT and TTYW) that stick out like sore thumbs to me...Not that they're not great songs...it just seems like they really don't fit with the rest.
Glad to see I made a bit of sense

But seriously, to me BTBS and TTYW always broke the flow of The Joshua Tree. They are just too raucous and loud. They seem to be on a totally different wave length in terms of music. those 2 songs just seem to 'appear' out of thin air and have no musical connection to the rest of the album.

Again, this is just my opinion. Comments are always welcome.

Peace.
__________________

pop_mofo is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 01:03 AM   #23
War Child
 
ishkash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: me!bourne
Posts: 751
Local Time: 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Please elaborate. I don't follow. By "over there," are you talking about the part of Dublin that Bono wrote the song about? In which case, I assume you are being sarcastic. However, I do not want to make any assumptions, as I don't know what you are alluding to. Fill me in!
Well now its getting tricky. What I implied with forget was that I obviously forgot about the song "Running to Stand Still" when talking about the potential best song on The Joshua Tree album.By "over there" I refered to the post I made in which I forgot to state the same.

Plus I have have no clue whatsoever regarding the sarcastic part.As much as I like all the U2 albums cause they have different and unique flavours, but I dont like the fact U2= The Joshua Tree full stop, U2= Achtung Baby full stop or U2 = 90's U2 full stop.

This is a very unique, special and a versatile band.It can take ages for bands to mature and progress musically, but U2 manages that very effectively with almost every album. So Achtung Baby is the reason why I like The Joshua Tree, cause they negate each other in many ways. The honesty of Joshua Tree is caricatured by the sarcasms and darkness of Achtung Baby. Same can be said about POP and ATYCLB. While POP is very dense, confusing and exhaustive, ATYCLB is precise,mature and smooth.If you listen to both the albums back to back one gets a feeling that ATYCLB is the answer to the question POP, in terms of meaning and theme.

I like The Joshua Tree, but the feeling that its U2's best album makes me feel that for the last 14 years U2 have wasted so much time in the name of making music. Music is one of those thing where you cannot put finger and say this is perfect.One of the inherent part of good music is some ambiguity or abstract ideas which radiates music's universal appeal in terms of acceptance.This ambiguity or abstractness on the part of the artist makes us feel closer to the song, as if it was about us and makes us think or feel better about what we were thinking.So it all comes back to subjectivity and relating on our own perceptions. Dollar for me could be a just a coin for someone else.

I am saying this because I reckon U2 is talented enough to make the best album ever made.The best part is there is only one band out there who is as talented as them as a band (no its not Coldplay), so not much challenge out there.
ishkash is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 01:44 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ishkash
The best part is there is only one band out there who is as talented as them as a band (no its not Coldplay), so not much challenge out there.
Radiohead?

I really liked what you were saying, Ishkash. I think I do understand. You are speaking of U2 more in the metaphysical and esoteric sense, by bringing up how their body of work balances the whole, and which is why none of their albums could ever be the same. Very interesting. I think that for each person, however, each album would affect them differently, and this is the measuring stick that we use in asserting a "best album" title. We view U2 albums as seperate entities, but perhaps we shouldn't be thinking of them that way. Okay, I'm getting too deep for my own good right now.

Stay safe tonight...
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 02:23 AM   #25
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 09:42 PM
wink we think of Shakespeare in terms of comedies, tragedies, history plays and sonnets...

esoteric?? metaphysical???

christ!! this is rock music for fucks sake! let them sing about it 400 years from now and maybe they'll have it all sorted out
__________________
send lawyers, guns and money...
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Re: we think of Shakespeare in terms of comedies, tragedies, history plays and sonnets...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
esoteric?? metaphysical???

christ!! this is rock music for fucks sake! let them sing about it 400 years from now and maybe they'll have it all sorted out
hee hee hee!!! I knew you would like that!
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 05:18 PM   #27
War Child
 
Matthew_Page2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Seattle
Posts: 873
Local Time: 07:42 PM
People talk about 80's and 90's U2 being separate entities and it usually boils down to JT vs AB. I think it's more pop/soft rock U2 vs rock/alternative U2.
JT is a more "adult contemporary" record whereas AB is the U2 album the rock fans dig more. U2 fans who prefer JT tend to like Coldplay, Travis, REM, Jewel etc, etc and also express affection for ATYCLB and UF. U2 fans who prefer AB tend to express admiration for bands like the Who, Pearl Jam, Radiohead etc, etc and also express affection for War and Pop.

Just a thought.

MAP
Matthew_Page2000 is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 09:20 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000
People talk about 80's and 90's U2 being separate entities and it usually boils down to JT vs AB. I think it's more pop/soft rock U2 vs rock/alternative U2.
JT is a more "adult contemporary" record whereas AB is the U2 album the rock fans dig more. U2 fans who prefer JT tend to like Coldplay, Travis, REM, Jewel etc, etc and also express affection for ATYCLB and UF. U2 fans who prefer AB tend to express admiration for bands like the Who, Pearl Jam, Radiohead etc, etc and also express affection for War and Pop.

Just a thought.

MAP
With all due respect, Matthew, I must disagree. The Joshua Tree is the sound of something totally different than anything else, let alone anything adult contemporary. When The Joshua Tree came out, it was one of the most innovative albums of all time. No one had ever heard of the infinite guitar, and Edge was the first to use it in popular music. That's why WOWY sounded like nothing else out there when it came out, and also why critics sincerely thought there were no hit-single-material songs on the album. It's an album that gave us a totally different perspective on the popular music scene. Nothing on that album sounds commercial even to this day. That is why it sounds timeless.

As for your generalization on which fans like which bands, I also disagree. I happen to think JT is the best album of all time, but I also love Radiohead, love Bjork, love The Pixies, and enjoy Smashing Pumpkins and The Verve, as well as Pearl Jam (gasp!), and oh - you'll really like this - I adore the new Coldplay album! I also think Achtung Baby is the 2nd best U2 album of all time, and I also really like Pop. War is also a personal fav. I think Zooropa is one of the most brilliant things the band have ever done. Where does all of that leave me?

I really don't know where this odd conception that JT is "mainstream, adult contemporary" came from. I'm guessing it's the result of it exploding the way it did - but only because it exploded is it mainstream. Going into it, it sounded way too organic to destroy the charts the way it did. There is a reason why Bono said, back in 1987, that "the thought of the world waiting for the JT is ridiculous. It sounds as though it will sell 3 copies."

The fact that it did so well only serves to explain its ability to transcend the world in which we live. For that's the conundrum of The Joshua Tree.
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 10-02-2002, 09:30 PM   #29
MacPhisto's serving wench
 
The_Sweetest_Thing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Inside a bubble
Posts: 3,773
Local Time: 09:42 PM

I would say that One Tree Hill is the most emotional song on JT. But then I put it in the register of WOWY and ISHFWILF....it's too cloase a call.

SO I'll stick with the best. One Tree Hill is the best song on JT. It's the most beautiful, the most thought provoking, and deep down, the most meaningful.

Of course, this is all the opinion of one person.
The_Sweetest_Thing is offline  
Old 10-03-2002, 07:45 AM   #30
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 333
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

With all due respect, Matthew, I must disagree. The Joshua Tree is the sound of something totally different than anything else, let alone anything adult contemporary. When The Joshua Tree came out, it was one of the most innovative albums of all time. No one had ever heard of the infinite guitar, and Edge was the first to use it in popular music. That's why WOWY sounded like nothing else out there when it came out, and also why critics sincerely thought there were no hit-single-material songs on the album. It's an album that gave us a totally different perspective on the popular music scene. Nothing on that album sounds commercial even to this day. That is why it sounds timeless.

As for your generalization on which fans like which bands, I also disagree. I happen to think JT is the best album of all time, but I also love Radiohead, love Bjork, love The Pixies, and enjoy Smashing Pumpkins and The Verve, as well as Pearl Jam (gasp!), and oh - you'll really like this - I adore the new Coldplay album! I also think Achtung Baby is the 2nd best U2 album of all time, and I also really like Pop. War is also a personal fav. I think Zooropa is one of the most brilliant things the band have ever done. Where does all of that leave me?

I really don't know where this odd conception that JT is "mainstream, adult contemporary" came from. I'm guessing it's the result of it exploding the way it did - but only because it exploded is it mainstream. Going into it, it sounded way too organic to destroy the charts the way it did. There is a reason why Bono said, back in 1987, that "the thought of the world waiting for the JT is ridiculous. It sounds as though it will sell 3 copies."

The fact that it did so well only serves to explain its ability to transcend the world in which we live. For that's the conundrum of The Joshua Tree.
I agree with you here Michael. I think one simple thing that goes a long way towards people viewing The Joshua Tree as 'adult contemporary' is the simple fact that the 3 singles from that album get played on these kinds of radio stations. ISHFWILF and WOWY are two songs that are definitely played on those formats. Even Bono has said something to the effect that WOWY doesn't sounds like anything else on the radio, but after you hear it there so many times you just get used to it.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think The Joshua Tree is mainstream sounding. I just think that the album has been co-opted by the mainstream to give itself some credibility.

My 2 cents.

Peace.
pop_mofo is offline  
Old 10-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
U2SavesTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: sundries and such
Posts: 7,406
Local Time: 09:42 PM
I was going to post a long, drawn-out, JT analysis but I've changed my mind.

So, I'll just say that Running To Stand Still is, without a doubt, the best song on Joshua Tree.

U2SavesTheWorld is offline  
Old 10-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,635
Local Time: 10:42 PM
I AGREE!!! Red Hill Mining Town is easily the best song on JT!! (but tied with WOWY!!)

p.s.: Michael, although I skimmed most of the posts, I read your first one re. The Joshua Tree vs Achtung Baby and I must say this doesn't happen often, but I do agree with you completely on that score!
ladywithspinninghead is offline  
Old 10-07-2002, 10:14 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
I AGREE!!! Red Hill Mining Town is easily the best song on JT!! (but tied with WOWY!!)

p.s.: Michael, although I skimmed most of the posts, I read your first one re. The Joshua Tree vs Achtung Baby and I must say this doesn't happen often, but I do agree with you completely on that score!
It's okay to have different points of view. In fact, it's a necessity in order to see the whole perspective. It's cool in a way that you rarely agree with me! It's nice that you agreed with me on this, though. Thank-you for saying so.
__________________

Michael Griffiths is offline  
 

Tags
joshua tree

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×