Red Hill Mining Town appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
I was just listening to it driving down the road today, and every time I hear it, I can't help but love it more. His voice is so incredible, and the words and music are awesome. It has such a feeling about it too. I can't explain it, but that song takes me places and gives me feelings I love. I can't think of enough great things to say about it!

I couldn't agree with you more. I love to get in my car alone with the JT CD and just blast that and In God's Country. I don't know what it is about those songs, but I really do go to some other place when I'm listening them. Not such a good thing while I'm driving I guess! I don't think Bono has ever sounded better :bono:

I LOVE this song so much.. I dont listen to it enough but when I do I just get chills. I think Bono's voice on Joshua Tree is just sooo strong and crisp and soo full of life and when I state that I think it was better then that it ever will be.. I get flamed. :eek:

GypsyHeartgirl said:
I was just listening to it driving down the road today, and every time I hear it, I can't help but love it more. His voice is so incredible, and the words and music are awesome. It has such a feeling about it too. I can't explain it, but that song takes me places and gives me feelings I love. I can't think of enough great things to say about it!

My feelings exactly! I just love that song and Bono's voice it's just wonderful! :love: Every time I listen to that song I fall in love again!

I love this song as well. Another reason why I like KFOG out in the bay area - they play it fairly often considering it's an non-single album track.

I agree about Bono's voice. Especially in the "Looooooove, slowly stripped away/Loooooooooooove, has seen it's better day" part. good stuff! :up:

Apart from WOWY, its my favourite song from JT!!!!!
Bono's voice is incredible and I get that same magical feeling from him that i do in Drowning Man, and the "Come On"!s in Billy Boola.
Its pure Bono heaven.
He melts your heart
haanngginnnggg oonnnnnnn

God, what an amazing song.
Im going to have to play JT today now. :bono:

Oh yeah

This is one of our all time favorites. I think it is actually better tahn some of the big hits from JT.:yes:

Sicy said:
I LOVE this song so much.. I dont listen to it enough but when I do I just get chills. I think Bono's voice on Joshua Tree is just sooo strong and crisp and soo full of life and when I state that I think it was better then that it ever will be.. I get flamed. :eek:

Oh, there's no doubt Bono's voice was at near peak there (I think he achieved his true peak during the recording of R&H and the LoveTown Tour). I just don't like it when people say his voice is crap now. I listen to songs like "Kite" (especially live) or like his vocal powerhouse performace of "Walk On" at the Grammy's and contend that his voice is still very, very strong. Sure, he has off nights, but this doesn't mean he's always off.

As for JT vocals though, as I wrote in another thread, they were almost TOO much and "Red Hill..." is a good example of that. While incredibly powerful and passionate, his operatic style on that song made it a challenge for even Bono to reproduce. :D I prefer the more personal vocal stylings of AB and ATYCLB - still powerful, but rough enough to be more intimate.

Kazd7 said:
wasnt there a video for this song? any one knows the status of that?

I think its been on U2.com for a while now but I've had the full version on VHS for quite a while...I don't even remember how I got it but its pretty good :up:

doctorwho said:

Oh, there's no doubt Bono's voice was at near peak there (I think he achieved his true peak during the recording of R&H and the LoveTown Tour). I just don't like it when people say his voice is crap now.

Exactly! His voice is far from crap now, its just different from what it was when he was 25. I sort of enjoy his slightly "off" moments...I mean, no matter how high we want to elevate him (no pun intended) and demand perfection, he is only human after all.

And I agree with you that in reaching that peak vocally, he made it a challenge to continue at that level.

Red Hill Mining Town is one of those songs bright enough to fill up a room. Not only because of Bono?s voice and interpretation but in my opinion the song contains some inspired work by Edge and the others as well...nice arrangement. Precious, really.

:up:

I wanted to say that about his voice too but was afraid of getting flamed! Thanks, now I can say it too! I agree Sicy and Bono's American wife! In God's Country and One Tree Hill are also in this category. The way he could sing then was just so special and I'm glad we will always have the recordings. I don't think his voice is shite now, he doesn't have the range anymore , but I think his voice has become so precious and tender and endearing in his 'old age';) (Bono if you're reading this is a joke, I'm old too and so is doctorwho!) I am deeply in love with it too. But those JT days will always rule, forever.

Last edited:
Geart song.:idea:
I think Niel Jordan of The Crying Game fame directed this video.
Perhaps somebody could research this and put up..a link..?
:help:
DB9:

I love this song so much, but I can only listen to it when I'm by myself, because it always makes me feel like crying, dunno why...

i appreciate everything about this awesome song. I'd love to see the video, from the pics of it Bono was HOT! All wet, long hair dripping, in a sleeveless tee that was falling off his shoulders:drool:

I love this song and this man

"Red Hill Mining Town" has been my favorite song on JT since I first bought it. I can remember rewinding the cassette over and over and over again to listen to it in my Astoria, Queens apartment?I moved from that apartment over 10 years ago, but I can still picture how the apartment looked as I listened to that song. It brings back strong memories for me.

Lately, I've been listening to "Running To Stand Still" a lot, because it is my personal favorite vocal performance by Bono. So, it's easy just to let the CD player continue after that song is over, and to listen to "Red Hill Mining Town" one more time. Bono's voice sounds wonderful in that song too.

Back
Top Bottom