Red Blinking Warning Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyper

Babyface
If I remember correctly in Bill Flannagan's (sp?) book Bono mentioned a red light going off in his head as a warning that U2 was hitting the point of too much exposure towards the end of the ZOO TV tour. He said he learned to recognize this from all the backlash after Rattle and Hum. Do you think that red light is blinking now regarding his exposure in promoting all of his causes and all the political work he is doing. I'm a huge U2/Bono fan and really appreciate and support the work Bono does but I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable with it. This first hit me the other day when I was listening to One which I had not listened to for awhile and it did not have the emotional power anymore. I kept having images of the One Campaign such. Just a thought .... anyone else feel this way?

no; overexposure due to celebrity is one thing, but overexposure due to humanitarianism is exactly what bono wants. i see what you are saying but they are two completely different things. in that word of political activism and humanitarian work, you have to push your efforts and keep pushing; it's the only way that they will get noticed.

Maybe Bono feels that if they get to the point where they think "Ugh! Not him again!" They will just give him what he wants to shut him up! :D

Go Bono Go!

explorer said:
no; overexposure due to celebrity is one thing, but overexposure due to humanitarianism is exactly what bono wants. i see what you are saying but they are two completely different things. in that word of political activism and humanitarian work, you have to push your efforts and keep pushing; it's the only way that they will get noticed.

Yes. He (or fellow activists) won't go away til the job is finished. The "job" of mocking rock n' roll was done and B realized that. This is something else with no correlation.

If people get "sick" of Bono because he is trying to help people thats pathetic. Getting sick of a band because you hear their music all the time - thats acceptable. Getting sick of a singer because he/she is always in the goddamn newspaper for things like their trailor park trash boyfriend or because their Cellphone was stolen - thats acceptable.

Getting sick of a celebrity because he is always pushing for rich countries to relieve debt and help countries that were raped by history - thats pitiful.

Thats like getting sick of seeing Red Cross commercials on TV after the Tsunami or Hurricane Katrina.

"Oh who cares about people suffering and dying, im so sick of seeing it, turn it off - yey! The Amazing Race - leave it on here!"

Yes, it can be hard to watch things like that but you shouldnt get sick of people and feel like they are "overexposed" when they are trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom