really upset demo version of E-Storm better than new radio version--what do u think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
As soon as I heard that the first version of Electrical Storm that Sarh HB played on BBC1 was a demo, I got worried. I have heard the new official radio version of Electrical Storm on KROQ in Los Angeles three times already, and I hate it whereas I love the demo. The only thing about the radio version that I like is the beginning. The guitar riff in the song is totally changed to a kind of banal strum whereas in the demo there is a "dirtier" guitar that I really like. Also, too much production--the "Heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" wails are drowned in other sounds that lessen its effect. Bottom line I gave the demo an 8.5 and the radio version a 5.5. Really upset. There are parts of the ardio production that make it "spund" a little better, but to me it doesn't sound like U2 becuase the rhythm guitar is changed to a very boring strum. I reall feel the song has changed. A;lso, I feel the tempo is a tiny bit different.:(

agreed

I like both versions, but I like the demo better. It's (a little)simpler, and I think more effective. I worry that U2 now overproduces almost every new song that comes out. It's what happened to Eno's other band - James - the last couple albums before they broke up. They weren't content to let the song be the centerpiece of the production. Look at Coldplay's new album for an example of knowing when to let the song be the star.

That's why I got worried when I heard it was a demo. The guys really "work" a song. As evidenced by the Salome Sessions/Acgtung Baby Bootleg, there are amany amny iterations of a U2 song before it "goes to press." I will give some more time and will be a better judge when I getan mp3 of the radio version, but I reall feel that the demo is far superior. I don't think I have ever heard such a boring untreated guitar riff from Edge than the one that appears on the radio version. Bring back the demo!!!

Hmm. that Edge riff during the demo chorus was my favourite part of the song.

<---- tres pissed off.

I'm hearing it on a different station now, and it sounds different. maybe cause of stereo stuff, not sure. but the very beginning was definately different.

I just found a song called orbit full length on kazaa and it was basically the part where Bono sings Electrical Storm put in a loop and going on for almost 5 minutes. It was however from the new version and the part I heard sounded, I dunno maybe 'slick' is the word.

Based on this I must say I'm more happy with the demo version but it's obviously too soon to tell so I'll shut up now FINE!!

Some schweinhund is putting these songs on kazaa called Electrical Storm Orbit Full Length, Orbit Radio Edit, Glanville Rock Mix etc. But they're all the same 'song' as I mentioned above. :angry:

So you're saying that the demo version is even better than the real thing?

*giggles*

At least we get both, though.

i need to hear it too. i keep thinking though, what are we complaining about. so far we have received two versions at 0 cost. who knows, maybe this is a radio edit mix, and the one on the future released cd will be even different yet.

go to q107.com and listen to their webstream. they played it about an hour ao so it'll probably be a few before they do again, but they said they'd be playing it a lot.

it'll probably be like frickin 4 hours till they play it again. but it gives you something to look forward to.

I'm still confused there's no mp3 out. Seems like almost every single radio station is playing it. Unfortunately my local is waiting till tomorrow to play it.

Somebody out there has the mp3! I know it! I will find you! And when I find you, I will be a happy man!

Show yourself!;)

<---- has an mp3 :shifty:

its not even worth the effort, its only the last 50 secs of the song cus i was downloading software to play the radio station and its shitty quality (their fault, NOT mine!) so somebody better get is a good one and FAST! :mad:

are you saying that edges guitar during the chorus has changed? is it quiter?! what did they do?!?!?!

thats the best part of the song! it what makes it so awesome!!!

tell me answer me now!!!!

Zoomerang96 said:
are you saying that edges guitar during the chorus has changed? is it quiter?! what did they do?!?!?!

thats the best part of the song! it what makes it so awesome!!!

tell me answer me now!!!!

Basically they totally changed the guitar, it's there but it's much more boring and very not the awesome riff from the demo. Basically it's just strummy chords. Honestly, wtf? I am very upended by this unforseen unpleasantry, i must say. it was my favourite part of the song too. It was the identity of the song. fuckfuckfuck

I can only hope somehow the terrible quality of the stream made me unable to hear that guitar part and it's still actually there.. but i dunno.

nowmekickshit

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, it is cool to have two versions, but the superior demo is not CD quality (hopefully sometime in the future we will get a cd quality mp3 of the demo). I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't heard the radio version, but IMO it is very different b/c the guitar parts are completely changed. It is a surprising change because I really feel if you polled 100 people, 90 would like the demo better. I am really interested to see what fellow interferencers think; it seems that so far, people agree with this posts premise.

Yeah, what ultraviolet said! I just can't see how someone could prefer the boring strummed guitar to the ass-kicking super powered guitar of the demo. someone needs to do a remix and combine the best elements of both.

No offense, and this is just my opinion, but the demo really isnt that different. I'll take the real version but they're both pretty much alike. I dont really see that much of a difference in the guitar in the chorus, but the quality of the radio feed I heard it on wasnt the best. Hope we get a good quality copy of the real version soon.

Last edited:

DrTeeth said:
Some schweinhund is putting these songs on kazaa called Electrical Storm Orbit Full Length, Orbit Radio Edit, Glanville Rock Mix etc. But they're all the same 'song' as I mentioned above. :angry:

wtf is a schweinhund?

how the hell have so many people heard this not-as-cool version and there still isn't an mp3?

work it people!

:mad:

OH my god.. my radio station just announced they're going to play the new u2 in 20 minutes.

* wish I knew how to record it.

Back
Top Bottom