*Real* fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't think that there is a way to define a "real" fan. Personally, I hate it when people accuse others of not being real fans because of whatever. If you like the band, you're a fan. If you don't, you aren't.

Hello,

I just pinched my arm. It hurt, so I'm real. Since I'm also a U2 fan, I'm a real U2 fan! :p

*suddenly thinks of the J-Lo song* :ohmy:

C ya!

Marty

I'm not much of a Real fan, but I think it's fairly exciting watching some of the world's best players (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul and much as I hate to say it Beckham) play for one team.

Seriously, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the title.

Bonochick said:
I really don't think that there is a way to define a "real" fan. Personally, I hate it when people accuse others of not being real fans because of whatever. If you like the band, you're a fan. If you don't, you aren't.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm not much of a Real fan, but I think it's fairly exciting watching some of the world's best players (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul and much as I hate to say it Beckham) play for one team.

Seriously, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the title.

But then, why immediately Real Madrid? Why not Real Sociedad, Real Zarragoza or Real Valladolid?

:confused:

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

I just pinched my arm. It hurt, so I'm real. Since I'm also a U2 fan, I'm a real U2 fan! :p

*suddenly thinks of the J-Lo song* :ohmy:

C ya!

Marty

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got!

I dont actually think that was Hanover's meaning when that thread was started. It is for anyone who is a genuine fan, and not perhaps a casual listener, to have a chance at telling the band exactly how they feel and why they are the greatest band in the world. In our minds of course. :) I doubt it was to imply in any way that some are lesser than others here, more that anyone who themselves consider their fandom genuine, to please take a moment and pass on some words of thanks or gratitude etc.

But apart from that, Bonochick had it nailed in her reply :up:

I'm astonished that this thread failed to have more longevity, considering that the messages eveyone submits are eventually going to be presented to U2 in person. Sometimes, I muse over where the real fans of U2 are - excluding all that have posted here of course

I'm referring to the above said comment, which REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. If I have something important to say to the band, I'll do it myself, not in some thread on a message board, thank you (which is exactly what I have done already - I had some things I'd like to say to Bono, so I wrote them out on a card that was placed in HIS hands, not his security, not his management). Just because I don't feel the need to spill my heart out here doesn't make me any less of a fan. As much as I like it here, my loyalties to the band are greater and whatever I feel towards them is between me and them, not the people here or anyone from Principle Management.

The reason I hadn't posted in that thread yet was because I couldn't think of something to say that didn't sound lame. I thought if I waited until closer to the time I could do better. (then I had no electricity for 5 days too due to the storm) I posted today and I'm still not sure it sounds right. I don't think there's any such thing as a 'real' fan because we all have our own definitions and as long as we're a fan of most or even some of their work, we're fans:) I consider myself a fanatical and devoted fan:) What everyone else is, that's up to them. We all know how we feel. I'm sure Hanover meant no offense to anyone.

Last edited:
Fair enough regarding that comment rubbing you the wrong way, LivLuvAndBootlegMusic.
You are very lucky to have met the band personally and give Bono a card you had written on. If only we could all be that lucky!
:)

i didn't post cos....

...pick your reason:

a) i'm not a real fan. i'm an hallucination. a large collective hallucination shared by many people at interference.

b) i'm not a real fan, i don't even like the music anymore. i used to like them, but since i spend time in bang and clatter, posting about *cue ominous music* OTHER bands, i must not like u2 now.

c) i'm not a real fan cos i don't read every word of every single thread in EYKIW

d) i'm a fan, but i didn't post in the thread cos i don't see the point in someone reading a paper saying "ok, SoAndSo says... and IWasBored says...blah blah blah".

IWasBored said:

b) i'm not a real fan, i don't even like the music anymore. i used to like them, but since i spend time in bang and clatter, posting about *cue ominous music* OTHER bands, i must not like u2 now.

c) i'm not a real fan cos i don't read every word of every single thread in EYKIW

:lol:

I felt the same reaction as you LivLuv.
I felt the members of U2 would be rather busy and I wouldn't want to bother them AGAIN with my feelings.
It is cool if people want to set up gestures they feel are appropriate to express themselves, but it is a bit mean to lash out at others if they don't behave as you want them to.

ahhh well , you get that...I have seen a lot worse here over the years. I think the realness of your admiration and love of U2 and their music is a very personal and sacred thing, so I found the tone of that thread a bit hurtful too.
ahhwell. luckily we are built of tougher stuff and a wise man and his band gave us some sage advice......Love love....
love love love:)
:heart:

Lara Mullen said:
Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got!

Thanks. Now that song's in my head. :|.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
The reason I hadn't posted in that thread yet was because I couldn't think of something to say that didn't sound lame. I thought if I waited until closer to the time I could do better. I posted today and I'm still not sure it sounds right.

No kidding. I've thought of other things I'd like to say, but I don't want to make it sound really sappy and stupid, and sometimes I'm worrying that it does sound kinda dumb as it is...maybe that's what some fans are doing-trying to word their replies just right.

I also don't think that the "real fans" comment was meant to offend anyone, but Angela Harlem and Bonochick and them...well said, guys.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom