Ready to Let Go of the Steering Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
The spectacle known as a U2 tour are legendary, as we all know and have experienced, from the very early days of U2 inception to the present day with the completion of the Elevation tour.

In each instance, U2 has followed the same pattern all of their career. They have went into the studio, released an album, practiced the new songs over the sucession of a few months, as well as the old classics, and then went out to conquer the world in a matter of anywhere from 2 legs (the War tour) to 5 legs (The Unforgettable Fire, as well as could be included the Joshua Tree tour and the ZooTV tour, in their cases calling the last legs other names, and in both cases releasing Rattle and Hum and Zooropa, and in both instances amounting to 5 legs, and as some would argue, broke pattern with these quick releases after what would have normally been the end of a tour).

Do you ever see U2 breaking this pattern, and just go out on tour to simply support their many great collection of songs they currently possess, and maybe even obscure songs they haven't played for awhile, or have never played? Or does U2 need this pattern that has worked for them for so long? Does U2 have within them a need to continue to be relevant in today's market, or to the new fan, that they rest on this formula for that same relevance of recording a new album, and playing it live? If they ever did break pattern, what might the tour look like that would feel in U2's mind it could work?

Chris

Zoocifer said:
If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Stick with me kid, and I'll learn ya.

- The Zoocifer -

But of course oh great Zoocifer, but in fact, the answers to U2's great mysteries and futuristic exploits could be explained within the context of your very signature, for Bono said it himself, "And I don't know the limits, the limits of what we got."

Chris

Bono was a guest on RTE Radio 1's "Today with Vincent Browne" program and spent more than an hour in conversation with Browne and Brenda Fricker. Perhaps the most intriguing comment he made about the band's future plans was after a discussion about last year's concerts at Slane Castle when the host asked if U2 would be playing any more concerts in Ireland soon. Bono seemed to drop a hint that U2 may not tour after their next studio album.

"I don't know," Bono said. "I don't know when we'll next play a gig. It's really important for us now to make a couple of good albums."

Zoocifer said:
If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Well, I'm inclined to agree that I wouldn't want to see U2 touring without a new record.. but it must be mentioned that if we all follow the logic of that adage then U2 would still be putting out rehashes of Joshua Tree, or even Boy.

Zoocifer said:

Bono says alot of things.

- The Zoocifer -

True--and it's awfully early to make predictions about what they are going to do after releasing an album of new material. Hell, they have the "Best of", then a bunch of new material--although they have a whole slew of songs from the ATYCLB sessions--then they'll know what they want to do with the album of new material. That's two records, really, and then they probably don't know what they'll do after that. They want a bunch of new material, alot of new songs because they think they are writing good songs and don't want to take too long writing the songs or whatever.
*Hell if I ever understand this band's plans--planning is very un-U2* :laugh: :laugh: :eeklaugh: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom