Reactions from non-fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Radiohead are an amazing band. Simply because they don't do the same record over and over as say an Oasis does. They are willing to go different places with their music, even more so than U2.

U2 are easily my favorite band of all time. There's no contest. However they are still the same band that made Boy. They have taken their style and sound and are able to "reinvent" it but not reinvent themselves. Radiohead are not the same band that made Pablo Honey or even The Bends.

Radiohead are a lot different than U2. They for the most part totally changed their sound each album since The Bends yet they are true to themselves still. I love Radiohead's music and I actually prefer the later stuff like Kid A and Hail To The Thief more so than the Bends. I love that they don't give a damn about what you think but when you hear it you probably like it. U2 seem to go for a more streamlined style, where you listen to something as different as Mofo you still know its U2, but if you listen to something like Hunting Bears you have no clue its Radiohead.

And regardless of album sales they (Radiohead) are still one of the most succesful bands in the world. U2 and Radiohead are two bands that can easily sell out any arena in the world. Maybe not stadiums for Radiohead though.

And yea, those atease kids are for the most part twats. They have no sense of community and its all "I'm better than you" snobbery. Especially their bootleg collectors, my god they actually get high off of hoarding shows and making sure that only a certain group of them get to hear it, unlike U2 where its all about community and making SURE that everyone gets to hear it who wants to.

Back to the subject: To be honest my friends that dislike U2, dislike this album and its all I've been playing since last Saturday lol. I don't think any band can create an album thats going to be universally loved, there will always be some naysayers, but with U2 at least the naysayers are always a minority.

If anyone likes even a little U2 they're bound to like some of this record. However if someone dislikes U2 for their MUSIC and not just for Bono's activism they're not going to like this album.

And Vertigo is their strongest lead single since WOWY. :wink:

Played the album the whole way through at my place of work (University of California, Davis Bookstore), and one of the security personnel, when overhearing OOTS said, "God, this is awful."

I said, "Don't like U2?"

And he said, "No, I like U2 a lot. But this song is just horrible. It's really, really awful."

So I skipped the track for him. After that he didn't complain again. OOTS is probably one of the more dense tracks though, and it took me a while to really like it. So I guess I don't fault him a ton. The song progression is a bit 'weird.'

-Miggy

SkeeK said:
has anyone played the album for non-fans yet to see what they say?

i played vertigo for my roommate, he said, "man that uno guy can really sing". yes, he said UNO. i couldnt stop laughing. :laugh:

I just want to say that Radiohead are great and they don't owe anybody a damn thing. Nor do U2, really. Each shall go their own way, and please someone somewhere.

I am pretty sure the entire ateaseweb message board is just a giant parody undertaken by Zoomerang96 in alterego mode, so I wouldn't get too upset what they say.

womanfish said:
I think there was a funny quote that Bono had recently. I thought it was maybe in Blender or something. But it was a little barb at radiohead. The reporter asked what they thought about being such huge inspirations to bands like radiohead, coldplay, (and a another i can't remember)? Bono said - "Well at least Coldplay admit it" I thought that was awesome. So many bands are obviously heavily influenced by U2, but a band like radiohead seem to distance themselves because they're just "too cool".

I love the Bends, and Ok Computer is strong, but since then it's been way downhill.

to each his own.

I think it was Adam who said that, Vanity Fair magazine maybe? can't remember the magazine either, but I'm pretty sure it was Adam.

True though, seems bands who either are indie, or draw the 'indie rock' fans, won't admit they're influenced by U2. :shrug:

bonosleftone said:
However they are still the same band that made Boy. They have taken their style and sound and are able to "reinvent" it but not reinvent themselves. Radiohead are not the same band that made Pablo Honey or even The Bends.

Radiohead are a lot different than U2. They for the most part totally changed their sound each album since The Bends yet they are true to themselves still. I love Radiohead's music and I actually prefer the later stuff like Kid A and Hail To The Thief more so than the Bends.

I am sure that around the 20 year mark of Radiohead's career they'll retread old ground much U2 have.

Sure Radiohead in 2004 aren't the same band that they were in 1993 when Pablo Honey came out, but that's like an 11 year difference. U2 were not the band they were when they made Boy in 1980 when in 1993 they put out Zooropa. I am sure if you played a track off Boy for someone and then played something like Lemon off Zooropa to a fan back then they wouldn't realize it was U2.

U2 and Radiohead are a lot different from each other but then again they're a lot alike, whether people like to admit it or not.

I have fond memories of the summer of 1993 watching the first MTV Beach House thing and Radiohead were playing live by the swimming pool and the song was Creep and Thom had long blonde hair and kind of looked like an albino.

And as progressive as Radiohead are, their last album really wasn't that progressive at all. it really sounded like a lot of their earlier albums, a mixture of Pablo Honey's guitars with some of Kid A and Insomniac's experimental bits.

I like Radiohead and I am trying not to knock them, but I am just pointing out things I find obvious that a lot of die hard Radiohead fans seem to ignore or something.

Back
Top Bottom