Reactions from non-fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
funny this thread popped up
I was playing Miracle Drug in the background as I wasa in the Starbucks drive thru - the barista stopped, listened - said Holy sh*t is that u2? When I said yes about four starbucks employees crowded around the window to listen to MD and L&POE - which they declared amazing - I had to leave because there was some honking interferring with the songs
there were four cars behind me:reject:

venti non fat no whip mocha and u2 - life good:)

Last edited:
radiohead is awesome, and i greatly respect them for fucking around with themselves rather than just doing what's expected.

Hmm, their fans seem to expect them to be moody, depressive and gloomy and thats exactly the range of emotions they've had in all their songs since 1997..so I would say in some sense they've done exactly what was expected :) To me they are becoming a self-parody.

Oh yeah, I think it's cool to PLAY people the new U2 stuff, but lets not start handing out multiple burned copies. It's bad enough it's gotten leaked 2 weeks early.

Radiohead are an offshoot of U2. Listen to The Bends, there is a lot of influence in that album from U2. But after OK Computer they have gone a different route and not entirely successful either.

Mmmmm...

Ed O'Brien, one of Radiohead guitarists, praised U2 with ATYCLB, and him and Thom Yorke have recognized repeatedly their U2 influence... above all, their constant inventiveness...

I love Radiohead, and i think their last record is really a masterwork... all they've done to date, compressed in just one record... Thom Yorke said after that record that in 2 years Radiohead would be totally different than we all know, and now I'm expecting...

That told, U2 is 25 years on business, so Radiohead still has a hard and long road to walk to simply compete with U2...

Rastat said:
Mmmmm...

Ed O'Brien, one of Radiohead guitarists, praised U2 with ATYCLB, and him and Thom Yorke have recognized repeatedly their U2 influence... above all, their constant inventiveness...

I love Radiohead, and i think their last record is really a masterwork... all they've done to date, compressed in just one record... Thom Yorke said after that record that in 2 years Radiohead would be totally different than we all know, and now I'm expecting...

That told, U2 is 25 years on business, so Radiohead still has a hard and long road to walk to simply compete with U2...

Yep I read Ed O'Brien's comments and Radiohead ARE a great band. Just some of their fans have this snotty outlook on other great bands, eg U2.

I was over at a local radio station's message board. Is anyone besides me sick of these snobby music fans who are only into Le Tigre or Radiohead, or anything else that is cool at the moment? I mean I love new music and am pretty schooled in what is happening then and now. I mean, the few people there who listened to the leaked album right way said it sucked and will probably sell millions, etc. It is too beneath them to admit to liking U2, i guess. That's fine if you don't like the whole album, but this isn't a pile of shit on a record here. Some people need to take the pole outta their asses and let down the guard. :rant:

You cannot base anything on atease. The place is an elitist snobatorium filled with people who love to pat themselves on their back to attest to their own self-envisioned brilliance. There is nothing worse than unearned pretension.

I played it for two people at work today. They are both fans of U2 in the sense they like them, but haven't seen them live, etc. Both loved it, and both commented that they loved the rest of the album a lot more than Vertigo when they first heard it.

So, since I live with the p's, I tried to get my mom to listen to the album this evening at her leisure. I proceed to put it on and then leave the room. I hear Miracle Drug on from where I am upstairs and come to the balcony to tell my mom to get ready for this awesome guitar solo/riff by edge. #1, She thinks it is bono's solo to which I am referring, because she has no clue to the magic of guitar in this song. #2, right when the best part kicks in, she then starts to argue with my dad about some stupid dirty gym shoes. I felt defeated and retired to my room. After the complete listen through, she says she likes #2, and the rest of our conversion goes like this:

Me: Did you like it?
Mom: Yeah.
Me: Which songs?
Mom: You know, I really didn't get a good listen of them.
Me: Well, what did you like about it?
Mom: It seems like He is using a lot of different instruments.
Me: He? Mom, U2 has more than 1 member in the group, not just Bono. (He charms her).
Mom: But he runs the show.
Me: Remind me to never give you an advance screening of my music again.
(Mom goes back to listening to her Yoga muscial c.d.) :huh:

my mom likes it, but at this ponit, she's a little tired of all the new songs

nurse chrissi said:
I was playing Miracle Drug in the background as I wasa in the Starbucks drive thru - the barista stopped, listened - said Holy sh*t is that u2? When I said yes about four starbucks employees crowded around the window to listen to MD and L&POE - which they declared amazing - I had to leave because there was some honking interferring with the songs

Now this I don't believe

Flying FuManchu said:
I'll play it for my brother when he comes visits me.

I hear all of you. U2 fans are the same in their intense hatred of Creed. I always shake my head too.

Creed was the first band I ever got in to. Then I discovered the chili peppers. THEN I discovered U2. U2 holds my record for longest time as favorite band, and I doubt that will change. I think I found what I've been looking for.

That said, Creed was good at first. They just never learned to be innovative and not repeat themselves. Now all their songs sound the same.

My friend downloaded the cd the other day, and said something along the lines of "It seems sub-par in my opinion. To U2 standards, at least."

...To which I replied with the ever-appropriate :ohmy: emoticon.

i've had a lot of people say great things about it, and the people who aren't didn't want to like the album in the first place.

nurse chrissi said:

thats AWESOME.. were they u2 fans? how did they know it was new u2?

I think Radiohead are fantastic, I love everything they've done. Their career has taken a similar route to U2 (I did read a quote somewhere from one of them once giving Passengers some credit for giving them the balls to really head off in that direction) and I'd bet that one of their next 2 or 3 albums is a return to 'The Bends' era.... However, I think their hardcore fans are (mostly) complete tools.

I'll be debuting the album to non-U2 fans on a drive tonight. I've lied about the state of my car to my parents, and shall be catching a bus to my parents (some lies take work) to take a loaner of my fathers BMW 540 with it's heavenly 54,234 speaker sound.

As for Creed - it's not just U2 fans that hated Creed with a passion, it's everyone except Creed fans.

Last edited:
my friends have very short attention spans, so i can only get them to listen to Vertigo, or "the iPod song" in their eyes, and i managed to squeeze in OOTS once. they said it was much better than their "normal crap." i didnt know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment :huh:

no general public thinks Bono is a wanker because he does a lot of charitble work

which is very concerning, makes you wonder how much longer before society hits absolute rock bottom

Basically, non-"U2ites" are saying that it's good but they like their classic stuff (JT). People who can't appreciate the album at first will need to have it "wash" over them via the radio. I expect that when the other singles get a lot airplay, people will like the songs.

I had my Dad listen to it, after the unsuccessful attempt with my mom, and it went much better. He liked it a lot. He absolutely looooooved Yahweh, and said it should be sung in a church choir. He also noticed OOTS sounding beatles-esque, which he really liked. He is also a big fan or new music, radiohead, modest mouse, franz ferdinand, as I am also, so he can appreciate a lot of good music out there. He told me that U2 writes very uplifting songs that give a lot of hope. I think that's a good thing. It puts people in a good place.

Oh, and he asked to burn it. Score, a direct hit! :D

boosterjuice said:
Basically, non-"U2ites" are saying that it's good but they like their classic stuff (JT). People who can't appreciate the album at first will need to have it "wash" over them via the radio. I expect that when the other singles get a lot airplay, people will like the songs.

I beg to differ, theres really 3 types of fans

older or casual U2 fans - like the older stuff, Zooropa, Pop & HTDAAB scares them

newer or hardcore U2 fans - love JT/AB but also consider Pop/HTDAAB masterpieces or close to masterpieces

non U2 rock fans - will take HTDAAB with open arms after a few listens

The only songs I have downloaded are Vertigo and LAPOE. I've made my parents listen to them. They aren't exactly "fans" but they don't dislike U2 either...they did go to an Elevation concert. ;) Everytime I play Pop my says it sounds like "jungle music" lmao. I'd say they like JT and ATYCLB but I don't know how much they care for the other albums.

Anyhoo, my mom likes Vertigo quite a bit. My dad says Vertigo is "okay." Neither of them said much about LAPOE, but I didn't really expect them to as it's not the kind of song they like.

I had a co-worker who is obsessed with Bob Dylan like I'm obsessed with U2 listen to Vertigo on the radio. She liked it! :)

FullonEdge2 said:

Now this I don't believe

strange but true - as i've been playing the album at 11 all day I've gotten some remarks
starbuck - kirkwood (not the chesterfield)Mo - quite a few u2 fans

I think that u2 fans are by nature a bit more tolerant of other groups/fan bases - nothing to be threatened by if you know your band is by far the best:wink:

I also have had some people at work tell me that vertigo is the best song the have heard by U2 in years

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:

I beg to differ, theres really 3 types of fans

older or casual U2 fans - like the older stuff, Zooropa, Pop & HTDAAB scares them

newer or hardcore U2 fans - love JT/AB but also consider Pop/HTDAAB masterpieces or close to masterpieces

non U2 rock fans - will take HTDAAB with open arms after a few listens

well, by the clasification that you have listed, the people who previewed the album would be considered "older or casual u2 fans". They like the songs of JT but wouldn't touch Zooropa with a 10' pole.

Their reaction was they "preferred the older stuff."

Back
Top Bottom