Rattrle and Hum all over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkdominatr

Refugee
I would really like to see U2 do another rattle and hum type of thing with their next tour. something live and new stuff mixed in. hopefully it wont take long in between like it did this time around. but the longer the wait the better it should be right?

I'd be content with more live DVDs along the lines of Slane. IE, not over produced, just U2 raw and kick ass.

I'd really like a live CD - It's a well known fact aht U2 songs are for the most part better live - I think it would be a great marketing plan to release a couple live albums - they could just put them on ITMS as exclusives - I would be happy:)

I loved Rattle and Hum, but I know critically, it wasn't well recieved. I think it would be great if they did something like that again, but I'm not sure that they would want to take the risk these days.

The irony is that U2 *can* take the risk these days. In 1988, U2 really only had the success of JT behind them. Yes, they had some earlier hits, but JT was their only mega-hit album. As a result, when U2 started performing with "the greats", many thought U2 were saying that they too were great (apparently George Harrison was one of those critics).

Now, 16 years later, U2 have indeed proven that they rank amongst the greats. As such, doing a R&H-type of album now wouldn't be considered as "blasphemous" as it was in 1988. It would be like U2 collaborating with their fellow great artists.

Therefore, I would like to see a half-live/half-studio follow-up to the next album, with guests artists.

Of course, given that U2 has already done this (and already explored their roots), there's no real need to do this again. Hence, I highly doubt we'll see it.

Therefore, I would like to see U2 release a series of live shows (either CD or DVD or both), ala Pearl Jam. No, they won't be perfect, but U2 performs so often that I'm sure they can get some very very strong shows out there. So what if Bono happens to be a bit off on a song or Edge hits a wrong note or two or if the audience response isn't quite as expected on a song? If 99% of the concert is great, release the damn thing! People are going to make bootlegs anyway - I'd rather see the $$ go to U2 than to bootleggers. U2 needs to loosen up control a bit for these live recordings. Maybe only die-hard fans will buy them, but when die-hards bought Pearl Jam's releases, that gave Pearl Jam five albums in the Top 200! So it shows fans are willing to buy live material and make it a success.

I would go freakin' nuts if U2 pulled a Pearl Jam and released a whole series of live shows officially. I'd buy all of them no question. This past tour they stuck a live song or two on each cd single release, even the first one BD had a single with Velvet and Discotheque on it. The first one off the new album will only have a live studio performance of Vertigo on the DVD, but nothing on the cd singles themselves as far as live performances go. Maybe this is a hint that they are going to hold off releasing live tracks as B-sides and put out a live cd later on.

Also, I am dreaming that Propaganda is going to go out with a BANG! and release a collection of the best live performances of their greatest hits. Think 12-15 hits over the last 20 years collected over various tours. Now that would be the ultimate live disc! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'd love a behind the scenes look at the next tour, but I don't think it should be as large scale as Rattle and Hum ended up being.

david said:
I'd be content with more live DVDs along the lines of Slane. IE, not over produced, just U2 raw and kick ass.

yeah i agree. i think R&H was too over-produced adn would be far happier with some more Slane type DVDs or just a general collection od live albums.
Chilli Peppers recently realeased Live at Hyde Park here which happened a while ago and its a great live album. i would love to see more stuff like that, i know i would buy it all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom