Rattle And Hum Redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
I listened to Rattle And Hum all the way through the other day for the first time in ages. Solid album, but messy. Of course, that was the band's intent but with the triple whammy of the double record, theatrical movie and book U2 set themselves up for a backlash, which they received. All of this tended to overshadow the record itself, and in particular its strongest new songs.

I rather liked their concept of mixing some live tracks with new ones, but frankly some didn't come off for me and there are some bad moments ("OK Edge, play the blues" being the worst). With all of this in mind, it occurred to me to make my own Rattle And Hum. Here is how I would do it, and I welcome your alternative suggestions. [The rules are, R&H movie and album tracks are fair game, as well as single B-sides. Any live track not already on the record or in the movie is not eligible.]

1) Helter Skelter (great, if weird, opener -- sloppy but exciting)
2) Van Diemen's Land
3) Desire (but I prefer the rehearsal in the movie to the single, which has rather bad harmonica solos by Bono and is slower)
4) Hawkmoon 269
5) Angel Of Harlem
6) Everlasting Love (B-side cover -- their most joyous track ever?)
7) Sunday Bloody Sunday (live movie version, from Denver)
8) Heartland
9) Love Rescue Me
10) God Part II
11) Hallelujah Here She Comes
12) All I Want Is You

There we go. I like When Love Come To Town but it just doesn't work in the context of the LP for me. It's fine as a single but pretty awkward on here. Silver and Gold is great but by this point it's already been on The Sun City album and the B-side of Streets, not to mention Bono's speech in the Denver version is annoying and a bit silly. The other live tracks on the official album are unnecessary. I realize they probably didn't put Sunday Bloody Sunday on it since it had already been officially released on two albums, but the live version in the movie is so riveting it needs to be there.

I really like this record and it's perfect as an end of his 80's career.

Folks always want to change things. If ain't broke don't fix it! Bono's speech annoying and silly? It was 1988. The South Africa situation was a huge civil rights issue. Why would you take that out?

LP 1: Studio
---------------
Desire
Angel of Harlem
Van Dieman's Land
Hawkmoon 269
When Love Comes To Town
Jesus Christ
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
God Part II
A Room at the Hearbreak Hotel
All I Want is You

LP 2: Live
---------------
Helter Skelter
In God's Country
Exit
All Along the Watchtower
Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For
MLK
Silver and Gold
Help! or One Tree Hill*
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With or Without You

* not on R&H but both commercially released on video - Help on the John Lennon Tribute and O.T.H. on Best of Video

Good Idea

I like your idea of one studio LP and one live one. In fact, that's probably what they should have done! But I think they were trying to put out a mixed grab-bag kind of album in order to reduce expectations... of course that didn't work anyway.

btw, for the moaner above who asked "am I sure" about "OK Edge, play the blues," being bad -- YES I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom