Rattle and Hum Movie re-release 2008????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

( Just a thought )
Maybe in 2008 we`ll see a re-release of R&H ( Movie ) on dvd.
What will the extras be????

The one thing I`m hoping for is the Love Town special.
Plus some more new Love Town footage would be nice:wink:
Oh yeah...some more from the R&H Outtakes ( Tempe , Denver ) , would be cool.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Why would Rattle and Hum be rereleased when it's already available on DVD and HD DVD? If we get a U2 DVD in 2008, I imagine it would be a 25th anniversary version of Under a Blood Red Sky, which makes much more sense considering now that Zoo TV and Popmart have come out, that's the last of the already-released U2 shows not to be available on DVD.

I say forget them all and give us a full Tempe 12/19/87 or 12/20/87 :hyper:

will you PLEASE add "just a thought" to your title...its so misleading and gets people excited!

Anything from the Lovetown tour would be wonderful as Rattle And Hum is the one album since U2 became megastars that doesn't have a live concert DVD to document its tour.

The film seemed much more about the Joshua Tree than R&H to me, the whole thing takes place during that tour and only a handful of tracks from R&H are included. I think they should have adopted a Live At Red Rocks approach and just released it as a straight concert.

If we get any Lovetown footage it will be on the Rattle and Hum remaster.

Mrs. Garrison said:
I'm still waiting for them to re-release Elevation tour, i mean its been what 6 years now since the Boston dvd?

And what about Popmart? My pop-up Edge doesn't pop up like he used to :sad:

Rattle & Hum on Blu-Ray have done just fine. Public information for the discerning majority of this forum, do not back HDDVD, its an inferior product and paves the way for Microsoft to gain a monopoly in downloadable HD content. Paramount/Universal were paid a huge amount by a very rich company through another less powerful electronics firm (won't mention them directly again) to back HD DVD for an 18 month exclusivity deal on all of their releases even though consumers have backed the superior Blu-Ray format, thus denying us the chance to see U2 in a clearer and richer image.

Seems I may be the only one that agrees with Mauwer here: what's so wrong with having a 20-year anniversary director's cut version come out next year?

Given we ARE getting remastered versions of ALL albums over "the next couple of years", Rattle & Hum may well be on the cards for Christmas next year (maybe as well as UABRS/War). They could do a 2 disk CD version plus a tie-in 2 disk DVD re-release at the same time.

Getting bonuses like LoveTown Sydney, Angel in Devil's Shoes, R&H movie out-takes etc would be awesome. They certainly have plenty of stuff to draw from.

Mauwer said:
Friends ,

( Just a thought )
Maybe in 2008 we`ll see a re-release of R&H ( Movie ) on dvd.
What will the extras be????

The one thing I`m hoping for is the Love Town special.
Plus some more new Love Town footage would be nice:wink:
Oh yeah...some more from the R&H Outtakes ( Tempe , Denver ) , would be cool.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

George Lucas has already announced they he is going to remake the entire film and add new scenes. It should be cool and its going to come out in October 2008!:wink:

I'm not sure why some are saying why re-release it since its out in DVD and Blue Ray. Obviously R & H was an actual movie and not just a DVD. How many movies have we all seen released on DVD and the later released with a special or deluxe edition with outtakes and additional scenes, etc. ?? All the time. I could definately see something like that done with R & H. Doesnt mean they will, but I would not be shocked one bit if it was done.

Nate Dogg said:
Siskel and Ebert review Rattle and Hum...interesting points from a non-fan perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5iEPpQHcE&feature=related

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that's really the most stupid film-critic I ever saw...

and to the point - there's no reason to re-release it.

1. the audio really has to be worked on - it definitiley need a DVD-remastering.

2. would be great to see a directors-cut - with new material

I just love this movie - I think it's simply the most beautiful fotographed music-film ever made.

You know, I have to say, the intelligent debate between these two is sorely missed. While I often disagreed with Siskel, his reactions and critiques tended to be a lot more rational than Ebert's, who often has much more of a gut reaction for better or worse. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Ebert, especially his writing, but it was the dynamic between these two that made their partnership so great.

As for the critiques itself, I think Ebert's points were mostly valid. The color footage isn't very exciting, especially as it's the same thing for the whole last movement of the film, and he's also not the first to point out the lack of audience shots. And while it's funny to see the band laugh when asked what the point of the film was, because we know them so well and like to see them more relaxed and fun, it does come off as childish to non-fans, who are probably going into the film wondering what all the hype is about.

I liked how Siskel turned Ebert's comment about B.B. King around, and I also find it to be one of the least successful parts of the film. King's praising of Bono's lyrics says less about Bono's skills (esp. at that stage in his career) than the material that King ususally has to work with--When Love Comes to Town ain't exactly Dylan.

They also both have intelligent points about the gospel church scenes. This time it's Siskel who has the emotional reaction, while Ebert probes a bit further and wonders why we're not given a better look at the people who U2 are performing with.

We all know R&H isn't a perfect film, it's that we enjoy seeing these glimpses of the band behind the scenes and the great performances. But I think you would have a hard time arguing that it's on the level of Don't Look Back, The Last Waltz, Gimme Shelter, etc.

I'm curious though what Ebert's review of U2-3D will be like, because he's definitely receptive to breakthrough visuals in moviemaking.

I think I've only been exposed to Siskel and Ebert via issues of Mad magazine from the 80s and early 90s. I didn't actually know who they were,since they're probably called something like 'Sickel' and 'Ecch!bert' in the satires.

I kind of agree with both of them - more with Ebert, maybe. And Siskel is right on the money with the BB King appearance too, I think it was in Uncut which made a statement like U2 were basically treating or exposing BB as their butler.

Back to the core of the thread, I wouldn't mind seeing footage of Bono chasing a squirrel released officially on DVD.

jinn77 said:
Rattle & Hum on Blu-Ray have done just fine. Public information for the discerning majority of this forum, do not back HDDVD, its an inferior product and paves the way for Microsoft to gain a monopoly in downloadable HD content. Paramount/Universal were paid a huge amount by a very rich company through another less powerful electronics firm (won't mention them directly again) to back HD DVD for an 18 month exclusivity deal on all of their releases even though consumers have backed the superior Blu-Ray format, thus denying us the chance to see U2 in a clearer and richer image.

Blu Ray Fanboy Alert...

Like Sony hasn't paid off Target, etc...There are slight pros and cons to each side. The HD DVD of R&H is pretty identical to the Blu.

Back
Top Bottom