Rattle & Hum Appreciation: Am I the only one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta love R&H.

All I want is you, Angel of Harlem, Hawkmoon 269, God Part II and Hawkmoon are among my 25 favourite U2 songs.

I also love the performances of Helter Skelter, pride, BTBS, Silver and Gold

On the other hand I can't stand Desire :yuck:

WLCTT is pretty good and somehow different. I like it.

Overall it's a highly underrated album

namkcuR said:
ZooTV Full-Band Desire With Somewhat Distorted Guitar > All Other Versions Of Desire

There is no way ZooTV Desire can even compete with Lovetown Desire with the shredding solo. That is some of Edge's best guitar playing, the equal of ZooTV Bullet's solo.

Where's typhoon when you need him?

typhoon said:

Easily their worst album.

:wink:

Seriously, apart from Desire, Angel of Harlem, some parts of All I Want Is You, the great live version of Pride and the only cover U2 ever did well, Helter Skelter, the rest of the stuff on this album is rather uninteresting.

U2Man said:
Where's typhoon when you need him?

:wink:

Seriously, apart from Desire, Angel of Harlem, some parts of All I Want Is You, the great live version of Pride and the only cover U2 ever did well, Helter Skelter, the rest of the stuff on this album is rather uninteresting.

You're calling Heartland, God Part II, and Hawkmoon 269 uninteresting? These are some of U2's best songs ever.

Also, When Love Comes to Town and Love Rescue Me may not be the greatest on the album, but performed on the Lovetown Tour with BB King and his orchestra, it's truly one of the great moments in U2's history. Man I'd love to go back and see that.

Sing sha lalala

Last edited:
Chizip said:

You're calling Heartland, God Part II, and Hawkmoon 269 uninteresting? These are some of U2's best songs ever.

Yes. It's not the same as saying that I don't like them or cannot enjoy them. They are just the type of songs that after having listened to them, half a year or so must pass before I do it again. There's so much other stuff out there that is much more worth spending your time on. The melody of Heartland is rather boring, and God Part II is a somewhat weak tribute song to a legend like John Lennon. Hawkmoon 269 is pretty good, though, I particularly like the beginning and the end - but I really have to be in the right mood to put this on.

U2Man said:

Yes. It's not the same as saying that I don't like them or cannot enjoy them. They are just the type of songs that after having listened to them, half a year or so must pass before I do it again. There's so much other stuff out there that is much more worth spending your time on. The melody of Heartland is rather boring, and God Part II is a somewhat weak tribute song to a legend like John Lennon. Hawkmoon 269 is pretty good, though, I particularly like the beginning and the end - but I really have to be in the right mood to put this on.

:tsk:

Chizip said:

coolgleamA.gif

I :heart: Rattle & Hum! :love:
It's definitely in my top 5 U2 albums, if not top 3. :ohmy: As always, it highly depends on the mood I'm in.

See the sunrise over her skin
Dawn changes everything.. :drool: :heart:

Utoo said:
I'm a fan of most of the songs individually, but I think the album as an album isn't so strong. I can usually listen to only a few songs at a time from this one, instead of the whole thing straight through like I can with JT, AB, War, ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

Still, I'm glad it's out there! :wink:

Ditto.

I must say I love this album, and I find it quite astonishing that Rattle isn't appreciated so much of many here when it goes in the polls. Aren't Desire, Angel Of Harlem, Heartland, Love Rescue Me, God Part 2, When Love Comes To Town, ALL I WANT IS YOU a huge part of U2's history......................?This is a great album, and the All Along The Watchtower cover is fantastic

corianderstem said:
The album doesn't stand up as a whole for me, either. It's very hit or miss.

I never listen to Silver and Gold, or the live versions of Pride and Bullet (I do very much like the version of Still Haven't Found, but I prefer the rehearsal version in the movie).

:yes: I am one of the few who loves Love Rescue Me, however, it's got some of the best lyrics of any U2 song, and I love singing along. I like Hawkmoon better than Heartland, but love both, and AIWIY... there are few songs that top it. Van Diemen's Land is :heart: and even better live.

Although I've ripped the Desire, Bad, WOWY, SBS, Exit and In God's Country tracks and listen to them because it's a criminal offense they were omitted in favor of Pride and Bullet. :tsk:

Yes I love most of the songs on Rattle and Hum. It was my first ever U2 album that I bought back in 1989. The only song of the album that I don't really like is Silver and Gold. But the live version of Bullet the blue sky is sooo much better than the bland studio version on The Joshua Tree. And I like to covers too especially Helter Skelter. I've actually never heard the original by The Beatles. But some of U2 best songs are to be found on this album, Hawkmoon 269. Desire, God part II etc. It's a master piece that doesn't get no where near enough credit!!:D

R&H went into my collection as soon as it was available & it's never come out. I could personally do without Helter Skelter & that weird little section of audio where the interveiwer asks what they've been doing since recording the JT & all you can really hear is them laughing, but I love everything else.

I was never & still am not a fan of gospel music, but to this day I can remember sitting in study hall with my headphones, listening to R&H for the first time. ISHWILF was already near & dear to my heart, but I literally got chills when I heard it live with the gospel choir. It was just proof positive to me that U2's music really could be a religious experience. :heart: :D

It has some of my all favorite songs(All I want is you,Desire,261...). I really can't understand why is this album so underrated (and hated).I like every live and studio songs on it and it is in my top 3 and , forgive me to say this , sometimes even in top 2 U2 albums.

RAH is one of those albums which you don't usually reach for in the CD rack, but once you start playing it you really get into the album and the whole vibe of the album as a pseudo-concept piece of work.

But in saying that, the tracks do work better on a stand alone basis.

HELTER SKELTER - can't compare with the Beatles version, BUT the band's version takes it to a new territory - rhythm and blues! (not to be confused with the R&B of today which has its base in rap and hip hop etc).

VAN DIEMEN'S LAND - not my favourite, but Edge gives a great vocal performance full of feeling. Always sounded better live on the LT tours.

DESIRE - Good, basic rock'n'roll! It burns along the road with manic speed and is better than what it looks like ;) The ZOO versions with the distorted guitars and Bono 'alter egos' on vocals took the track to a new height and made it a joy to hear again. "Hi Honey, I'm Home!" ;)

HAWKMOON 269 - Unbelievably great track!!! I don't think many fans have the intelligence (not to be patronising) to fully 'get' how good this track actually is! Bono nearly coughs up his vocal chords to sing this - what more can you ask for from a singer!!! Robert on keyboards anybody?

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER - good version, but not as good as the many superior bootlegged live versions. You cannot compare this with Bob's as they are totally different in their approach. I must admit that I hardly ever play this version.

ISHFWILF - I enjoy the gospel choir part, but when I first heard it I thought "hey, who's that? AW! I just wanna hear Bono!" and I guess I still feel this way as I've never put it on a compilation tape! Good intentions, but it doesn't really get there.

FREEDOM FOR MY PEOPLE - there's that pseudo concept album vibe again. Indifferent.

SILVER AND GOLD - GREAT b-side, but what the? Not bad. Has some nice moments, but overall throw-away.

PRIDE - Average C+. Never a good live track surprisingly- even though everyone enjoys singing the UH OH OH OHs!

ANGEL OF HARLEM - Great 'pop' song with simplistic structure, but extremely catchy melody ;) Can't help but smile and sing along!

LOVE RESCUE ME - whilst not my favourite track, it's really well structured and has its place on the album, but I never play it!

WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN - See AOH above for similar critique.

HEARTLAND - Eh? Shouldn't this be on TUF? Absolutely LOVE this track. It conjures up soooo many feelings, images and atmospheres - haunting, but in a nice way. 10/10.

GOD PART II - Stormer! AAANNNDDD a great song live too!!! Powerhouse track that never gets the 'skip' button.

BULLET THE BLUE SKY - Fantastic version! Sums up the whole JT/LT tours. Edge's guitar surrounds you and wraps you up in its sorrowfully, beautiful sounds and takes you to another place. An emotion most other songs can only dream of producing. 11/10 ;)

ALL I WANT IS YOU - Forget the 4 minute odd crappy version!!! You have to listen to this - the full version. This track is also beautiful. A great composition that is a major achievement by the band. Moody, downbeat, but magnificent! ...and if you ever get to hear the bootleg version of the legendary 26th December 1989 concert (and who hasn't) then you can also listen to the best ever live version of this song (IMO).

Overall rating of the album Good, but could've, should've been GREAT!

(Edited for spelling mistakes ;) )

Last edited:
Rattle & Hum gets no love here on this board, but I find it funny its sort of the "brand name" album for non-U2 fans - I know alot of them.

Desire
Angel Of Harlem
When Loves Comes To Town
All I Want Is You

Rock radio staples, all...name me 4 off Bomb or POP that compare...

All Along the Watchtower was OK on Rattle and Hum, however...

...it's fucking unbelievable on the Lovetown tour.

Would somebody be kind enough to post this lovetown version of AATW everyone's talking about? I've never heard it!

And why isn't Silver And Gold getting enough love here? I think it's one of the best on this album!

I :love: politically charged up U2!

Thanks, tre! That version is truly outstanding!!! That guitar and those vocals! :bow:

I've got to get myself a lovetown boot... I have heard virtually nothing from that tour!

Back
Top Bottom