Rate Vertigo now !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok we just ran through it a number of times....next show opener!!!! :D

I really like playing this song, so it just went up 1.5 points, to a solid 9.

When a show opens with it tho, especially if they open with it, I will probably change it to a 10! :)

Yeah the lyrics are simple..but its a radio song, for sure!

A few weeks ago, I broke up my band, because I was feeling uninspired by the music, there was nothing worth playing, nothing worth writing, and it was time to end it. This song makes me want to call up the guys and get it back together. It makes me want to start a U2 cover band called "Vertigo". Work is going to suck tomorrow, cause all day I'm just gonna flip nervously through all the radio stations until I hear the song.

I am also going to a Metallica concert. How am I going to enjoy a Metallica concert when all I'll be able to hear is "Hello Hello.

6/10, just try comparing "Vertigo" to other U2 songs. Almost everytime the other song is better than "Vertigo". All songs on ABaby are better than "Vertigo". This isn't U2's best at all, it was the quality of a B-side.

after 5 listenings: 6/10
vertigo is an overrated song and unfortunately has too much of everything...(wire. uteotw,elevation, god part II, etc.) sorry :-(

don't apologize, i hated it on the first few plays. i guess we'll just have to listen to it enough times to make ourselves like it. :)

I just came to work and played it to my colleagues and my Chief said "turn it down a little" which means this song ROOOOOCKS!

So 10 out of 10! :drool:

HELLOOOOOO, HELLOOOOOOOOOOO

E N E R G Y !

Love the main riff (reminiscent of HMTMKMKM)

The best thing is the power behind this track. It just makes you want to get up. This is gonna be a favourite on those mornings when its hard to get going - a 3m11 blast of Vertigo and the batteries will be charged!

excellent

Great track.....here's how I rate the first singles, which have all been fantastic:

1. The Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. With Or Without You
4. New Year's Day
5. Discotheque
6. Pride
7. Desire
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Vertigo
10. Numb
11. Fire
12. Out of Control

Brilliant 10/10 - Talk about grabing your attention. :drool: Exactly what was needed after being away for so long.

BigMacPhisto said:
Great track.....here's how I rate the first singles, which have all been fantastic:

1. The Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. With Or Without You
4. New Year's Day
5. Discotheque
6. Pride
7. Desire
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Vertigo
10. Numb
11. Fire
12. Out of Control

Can't help but rip off your idea.

1. New Year's Day
2. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3. With Or Without You
4. The Fly
5. Vertigo
6. Out Of Control
7. Desire
8. Beautiful Day
9. Discotheque
10. Fire
11. Numb
12. Miss Sarajevo

this is definitley a shortened radio version...i think we'll see the full album version cropping up shortly...and it's going to blow our tits off!

I've been listening to this song all day long!

15 OUT OF 10 ;)

I CAN FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL I CAN FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

i been listening to this song all day

first time i listened i reacon i gave it a 8/10 but since then its grown on me, and now id give it at least a 10

1. With Or Without You
2. The Fly
3. Desire
4. Vertigo
5. Discotheque
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Year's Day
8. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
9. Out Of Control
10. Numb
11. Miss Sarajevo
12. Fire

Wow, we have such different tastes...but we all love the band I guess...
I think I may be one of the few that isn't a huge fan of Pride...

I love it when Bono sings "I can feeeeeel". IT sounds like he's 20 years old again. This song is gonna be so good live. When he sings "Hello, Hello" the place will be in a uproar.

Right now it's an 8.5 out of 10 on my U2 scale, trying to put aside my excitement of spankin'-new U2 and being a little more objective. Was an 8 last night, but it's growing! Point off for there being a couple too many Yeahs at the end. :p I'd put it at a 9.5 on the first-single scale though!

8 out of 10. Woulda been a 10 if Edge had inserted a killer Fly-intensity guitar solo (may still be there on the album version...hope so).

All the "Hello, hellos" is very Teen Spirit (though more uplifting). All the "yeah yeah yeah yeahs" is very Lithium.

And lookit...those indie snobs at Pitchforkmedia.com like it very very much (3.5 stars out of 5):

"U2: "Vertigo"
One, two, three, fourteen-- and they're off! U2 have returned from the calculated "comeback" of 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind with "Vertigo", a surprisingly uncalculated single that may not constitute a return to form, exactly, but recaptures much of the boundless energy that has characterized their best work-- minus Bono's heavy affectation and the band's traditionally stadium-oriented sound. The song sounds delightfully tossed off, from its silly Spanish count-off to the effervescent post-punk of its verses, replete with affably shallow lyrical imagery ("Those bullets rip the sky of ink with gold/ They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll").

"The band sporadically adds a few grandiose flourishes: The Edge manages to drench the song's bridge in his trademark anthemic guitar stabs, and Bono momentarily stops preening and resumes brooding, belting out the song's climactic line ("I can feeeeel!") in heartfelt, self-glorifying agony. But for the most part, U2 avoids layered sonic grandeur, instead using an animated bassline and bouncing pop beat as an anchor through most of the song. The band members really seem to be enjoying themselves here, which, given the plethora of political and social causes available for some good old-fashioned heart-on-sleeve wall-of-sound monster rock championing, is actually kind of refreshing. Enjoy it while you can-- someone's bound to tell Bono there's a war on. [David Moore; September 24th, 2004]"

nuke126 said:
6/10, just try comparing "Vertigo" to other U2 songs. Almost everytime the other song is better than "Vertigo". All songs on ABaby are better than "Vertigo". This isn't U2's best at all, it was the quality of a B-side.

Opinions are respected, but I can't agree with your assessment. I can think of quite a few songs that are far worse, IMO, than "Vertigo" on AB - and I really like AB!

I give it anywhere from a 7.5-8.5/10. I think it needs more time to grow on me and see if it lasts with time. The first few times I heard "One" and "Beautiful Day" I didn't like them! :ohmy: So I need time before I can decide if a song is really for me or not. Right now, I think this falls in below "The Fly" but around that of "Numb".

after approx. 30 listenings: 8,5/10
VERTIGO has grown on me over the last few days...best part is ...I can feel You're teaching me and the 'compressor' sounding guitar of the last 30sec. they did a similar thing at the last 30 sec of Beautiful Day when they speeding up the tempo and the volume.

Vertigo gets 9 out of 10. This is, in my opinion, their strongest first single since The Fly.
The spanish lyrics are simply great. Imagine this song played live in Spain and South America, it will be amazing.
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom