Rate the Song: Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just can't agree that Mercy is a weak song lyrically (perhaps inconsistent, but there are a number of high quality lines worth salvaging), especially when compared to Winter. I can get behind the premise, but there isn't much worth keeping here. The good lines are derivative of others, and the bad lines are among Bono's most awe-inspiringly awful.

Mercy's big lyrical weak point is that he uses the word "love" too many times. Synonyms, Bono.

To protect the ones
We put bullets in guns

I'm trying to think of a worse U2 lyric. Failing.

Also, what baffles me is that when U2 redo songs, Bono seems to ditch the best lines while keeping the most embarrassingly awful ones.

I'm trying to think of a worse U2 lyric. Failing.

Also, what baffles me is that when U2 redo songs, Bono seems to ditch the best lines while keeping the most embarrassingly awful ones.

Agreed.
"Where I grew up, there weren't many trees.
Where there was we'd tear them up and use them on our enemies"

That always struck me as pretty terrible too. :wink:

"I know I'm weedkiller honey...and you're sugar"

"If you were ice...I'm water"

"And with your telescope...I can see further"

And those are all from the same song!

1st runner up (different song):

"You are a pocket full of sunshine"

"I know I'm weedkiller honey...and you're sugar"

"If you were ice...I'm water"

"And with your telescope...I can see further"

Only the weedkiller line is vaguely as bad as the "butter on toast" and "bullets in guns" lines.

Only the weedkiller line is vaguely as bad as the "butter on toast" and "bullets in guns" lines.

Both lines you mention are, of course, clunky. But as a whole, the lyrics for Winter are superior to Mercy (which is just bad throughout)...there's some decent stuff in there:

We made no mark,
No shadow at all,
On the ancient holy streets,
Where I learned to crawl.

In any event this line has been interpreted incorrectly:

"To protect the ones
We put bullets in guns"

It should read "To protect the Ones". "Ones", is obviously a reference to "One", the One Campaign, and its courageous volunteers who work selflessly to promote human rights causes the world over. You might have seen some of them at your local 360 concert...they were the "Ones" wearing the Aung San Suu Kyi mask while U2 performed their seminal "Walk On." In Winter, using a clever double entendre, Bono sings of protecting "The Ones" who serve this cause in dangerous and war-torn areas.

Members of The Hive™ who mock this line are spitting on the tireless efforts of these brave volunteers, not to mention ONE Campaigner Nelson Mandela.

Bad lyrics Coldplay-esque blah blah blah.

Either version is still less of an embarrassment than Crazy Tonight, and better than the pseudo-rawk wank of Stand Up Comedy.

Bad lyrics Coldplay-esque blah blah blah.

Either version is still less of an embarrassment than Crazy Tonight, and better than the pseudo-rawk wank of Stand Up Comedy.

Pseudo-rawk wank, that's so awesome, if I ever release an album I'm going to call it that!:wink::heart:

It should read "To protect the Ones". "Ones", is obviously a reference to "One", the One Campaign, and its courageous volunteers who work selflessly to promote human rights causes the world over. You might have seen some of them at your local 360 concert...they were the "Ones" wearing the Aung San Suu Kyi mask while U2 performed their seminal "Walk On." In Winter, using a clever double entendre, Bono sings of protecting "The Ones" who serve this cause in dangerous and war-torn areas.

Members of The Hive™ who mock this line are spitting on the tireless efforts of these brave volunteers, not to mention ONE Campaigner Nelson Mandela.

Hahahahaha sarcasm? I hope so. Either that's a massive reach on your part or horrible, horrible word choice on Bono's. I have personally never heard him refer to the poor, sad individuals wearing the masks as the ONES, and if he did, it's about as baffling a truncation as THE 2!

Dammit Nick, I might hate the line more now, even if it means well.

After that, I'm just wondering if Nick66 is a very committed troll. Seriously, reach any further and you'll pop your arm right out of its socket.

Rule of thumb: if you're not sure whether or not a line is terrible, and 95% of the lyrics surrounding it are terrible, that one line is probably terrible too.

200px-ONE_Campaign.svg.png

9a3fbd02dc549c53f7c26391cc1a1596-0-.png

Nick, do you have any evidence or reasoning behind that interpretation of the lyrics?

Nick, do you have any evidence or reasoning behind that interpretation of the lyrics?

Of course not.

Earlier someone said to me...

The Hive has a sense of humour.

...I was just testing that assertion. :)

Though, you know, they're just song lyrics. They can mean anything you wish, and are open to a myriad of interpretations. I'm still trying to sort out what lines the end of Cedars means. :hmm:

Oh, that's The Panther aka Numbers Man aka Nipples. He was always shirtless in his old avatars, so we call him Nipples.

In my sitcom, Nipples might actually be a monkey though, I haven't decided.

Oh, that's The Panther aka Numbers Man aka Nipples. He was always shirtless in his old avatars, so we call him Nipples.

In my sitcom, Nipples might actually be a monkey though, I haven't decided.

Ah. Still not getting the reference to a supposed shared sense of humour between Panther and I? Care to explain that?

I guess not knowing mysteries like this is one of the consequences of not being a member.

Back
Top Bottom