Rate the Song: Window in the Skies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WITS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can accept someone thinking "Hey, this might look kind of cool and arty" (even if it's a bit goofy) over someone thinking "This song is called Window In the Skies, so we should put a bunch of windows in the sky!"

At least someone was attempting to be creative, as opposed to head-bangingly literal.

Is this the one that has the line "Soul in a striptease"? I literally haven't heard it in 5 years so my memory of it is a little shaky. 2002-2006 must have been THE worst time to be a U2 fan.

Is this the one that has the line "Soul in a striptease"? I literally haven't heard it in 5 years so my memory of it is a little shaky. 2002-2006 must have been THE worst time to be a U2 fan.

"soul in its striptease"

I don't know, Bono's voice in the fifth leg of the Vertigo Tour (and really, the overall quality of that leg) makes up for a lot of that era's transgressions for me (and in my eyes, there were a lot of transgressions).

This song is awful, the lyrics, the video, the whole nine yards. I didn't like it when it first come out, still don't. 'Soul in it's striptease, hate brought to it's knees' I've never cringed so hard at lyrics before... 2.

When it comes to Beatles pastiche/homage/ripoff, I'd rather hear Oasis then this forced, precious wank.

Perhaps the nadir of 2000's U2's released material.

And fuck Rick Rubin.

I absolutely loved this song when I first heard it. Catchy, bright, big and shiny.

I swiftly got sick of it.

I do still think that first music video for it is pretty brilliant. For that, and for the instant jolt of pop joy that it gave me back five years ago or whatever, I'll give it a 6.

I'd shift that to 2006-early 2009. Once NLOTH leaked, being a U2 fan was a wonderful thing, but the Sexy Boots promotional period was rough, as was the entirety of the U218/Rick Rubin period. Fucking hell, going from a tour to that? Awful.

It's pretty bad right now too, but I didn't have NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, Fez, Breathe and Cedars to remind me of how great this band can be back in 2006.

Yeah, 2006-early 2009 sounds right.

Although I do dislike the 2009/2010 tour so I'd put that period in too, despite the fact that No Line on the Horizon is probably the best album since Pop.

absolutely love the video for this (the one with all the different bands - think the U2 one is pretty lame)

I think all videos that feature the band doing anything other than a straight up performance are embarrassing. If you're gonna feature the band in the video, fine. Have them performing the song. But for musicians U2's age, seeing them walk around an industrial park making faces acting like they're 19, or basically doing anything else but playing, is just silly. Otherwise, go the artistic route and leave the band out of it altogether.

What would happen if 25 people who think this song is 7 or better heard a song that was actually good? For their sake let's hope that never happens.

Hence the reason I put "B-side" in quotes....or did you miss that? I'm using it generically, since technically "B-side", using the literal definition, ended with the CD era. Call it a non-album track, whatever. A track not officially released on a regular studio album.

Ugh.

Well, you're saying it ended with the CD era, which means that it ended along side the end of the CD era. Their demise was concurrent. I guess you meant to say it ended with the advent of the CD era. A simple misunderstanding.

This song is much worse than any b-side I've ever heard though.

Galeongirl said:
Loved it at first listen, loved it at the 999th listen, still love it today. :love: I don't care that it's cheesy, it's uplifting and has a 12 string guitar. Instant win.

Agreed. One of the few times - Stuck in a Moment is the other - when U2 reached for the pop music skies in the 2000s and actually made it. (Original of the Species is an example of when this tactic just doesn't work.)

What would happen if 25 people who think this song is 7 or better heard a song that was actually good? For their sake let's hope that never happens.
I don't get it. Would their heads explode?

I like this song. I also like a lot of other songs, good ones too. But I must have different taste in music than you.

I really feel the urge to start listing songs and bands I like, just to make sure Hollow Island thinks some of them are good.

I NEED HIM TO VALIDATE MY MUSICAL TASTE! :panic:

Back
Top Bottom