Rate the Song: Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingdom

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Wow… now we begin the very final round of this rate the song series, the last round of 2000s non-album songs. The full list of such songs is:

Stateless
Summer Rain
Always
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Smile
Flower Child
Big Girls Are Best
Electrical Storm
The Hands That Built America
Native Son
Xanax and Wine
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Window in the Skies
Soon
Winter
Mercy

Today's round will cover the last five songs, from Are You Gonna Wait Forever? to Mercy.

Please rate Soon on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

A short while after this round closes, I will post results for only 2000s songs, as usual. (Hopefully) a short while after that, I will post full results in a new thread, with a link to a PDF file filled with the full statistical nonsense. I will do my best to make both come out as soon as possible - thank God, these polls close on Saturday, the first day of my Spring Break, so I should have plenty of time with which to work on everything.

I would also like to thank everyone for participating. :) There have been some skirmishes, but overall, I think this has been a fun experience, and I'm really glad to have run it.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

There are parts of that I love, and it has a lot of potential. I want to give it an 8, but there's not enough there to rate it much higher than 7.

BTW, I thought this was called Kingdom?

Shame we haven't (yet) got to hear this on an album. Very good song, lovely concert opener. More of this kind of thing next time boys!

There are parts of that I love, and it has a lot of potential. I want to give it an 8, but there's not enough there to rate it much higher than 7.

BTW, I thought this was called Kingdom?

Indeed it was, but it was officially called "Soon" when released on vinyl with the Rose Bowl super-mega-uber-whatever deluxe edition.

Hey, let's judge it relative to full-length songs! How rational!

Whatever this is/was meant to be; a tease, a hint, a could-have-been...it's perfect. I played this in the car one day and one of my friends (a U2 hater) was asking what it was because she thought it was really cool.

9 for sounding so cool and starting the '09 shows in such an awesome way.

I mean, it's not really a song, but just like Stingray Guitar it sounds new and awesome and deserves recognition for that.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Love. Love the cascading strings most of all before the verse (or verse-like thing) comes in.

fantastic. could have been a great opener for NLOTH but the title track does the job so well...wish they'd done a few more in this kind of vein

8 just because I don't feel like I can give this a 10 over full-length songs.

But I SO wish I'd done an '09 show to get this as an opener.

well, it wasn't really an opener. they just played it over the PA as they walked under the stage. can't really say you missed out on seeing it.

I'm amazed this half-an-idea non-song has so many strong votes. But then MLK usually does well in these things too and it's a glorified outro, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Oh well, whatever floats everybody else's boat (or hive mind?). Doesn't float mine though. Doesn't do much of anything at all for me, and I found it thoroughly a non-event as intro music in 2009. The gigs didn't really seem to get properly under way until NLOTH.

well, it wasn't really an opener. they just played it over the PA as they walked under the stage. can't really say you missed out on seeing it.

Well technically it wasn't the opener, but it did differentiate the '09 shows. In '09 there was Space Oddity then Soon then the opener, whereas I did two '11 shows and they were Space Oddity then EBTTRT. I would have liked to hear Soon at my shows but hey, what can you do? :shrug:

I like this one, I remember hearing it after Space Oddity during the time they were about to the stage, and then there was the opener. But that was back in '09. Pretty good for a painfully short song. 7.

Back
Top Bottom