Rate the Song: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SYCwhatever

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Hello, hello… today we move onto voting for the first half of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Please rate Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Beautiful, poignant lyrics can't really save a frankly musically boring and uninteresting song. A genuinely disappointing mediocrity, like most of the rest of this album.

I guess I'll give it a 6 in respect to the subject matter, but really it's the very definition of a 5.

6. i liked the song most the first time i heard it, and i seem to like it less and less every time.

very emotional song, but it just doesn't stand up to some of U2's slower tunes.

6. i liked the song most the first time i heard it, and i seem to like it less and less every time.

very emotional song, but it just doesn't stand up to some of U2's slower tunes.

I mostly agree with that. The SNL version was pretty killer though. 6.

First listen I thought it was about a romantic relationship. Then thought it was about Bono's daughters (love the ambiguity in His lyrics). When I realized it was about his dad, it totally choked me up. Powerful stuff. 8

Obviously a very important song for Bono, but musically dull as dishwater ( I haven't heard it for years). Emotionally charged but totally uninspired. 4

I adored this track for most of 2004/2005. I found it to be very powerful...the lyric especially...and Bono's big glory notes... ("Can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, etc.)

Sort of lost its luster for me after a while, though I still think of it fondly for the most part. The sentiment in the lyric is beautiful, and I relate to some of the lines in terms of my own relationship with my father. So, that has always added an extra emotional punch for me.

Good song. I just don't find myself compelled to listen to it much anymore.

Probably somewhere between a 7 and an 8 for me.

After a period where I didn't like the song anymore, it came back around. The studio version is really powerful. Really well done.

In my opinion, the most powerful song on HTDAAB. Another song I terribly love, and this song reminds me on how my relationship with my father has gotten better, on the subject of this song written for Bono's dad. 10.

I remember liking this song a lot more than I do now. It had been a few years since I'd listened to it, but I put it on during my commute to work today and it felt a bit... flat. More-so than I remember it. Great guitar parts, but perhaps after a while, there just isn't anything new to find in it, as opposed to Achtung Baby, which I still hear new things in to this day.

Couldn't decide between an eight or a nine. Gave it an eight... I used to like SYCMIOYO more than I do now... back before I had heard U2's full discography.

So Beautiful and so powerful, love the live version when i saw it live when Bono seems to look up and roar at the skies/singing for his dad, really hit me that night on a summers night at Twickenham stadium.

Also touches me in the way me and my own father have had such big things, difficulties and pain between us but are now somehow with a lot of effort, give and take making it work, he was not dead exactly but the relationship has now come to life again amd more special than before. We are very alike and that has been part of the problem as well as meeting point.

Have to be in the mood but when it hits, the melody, the lyrics,
the vocal a 10 for me. one of their top ten songs for me from the 00's albums.

Beautiful, poignant lyrics can't really save a frankly musically boring and uninteresting song. A genuinely disappointing mediocrity, like most of the rest of this album.

I guess I'll give it a 6 in respect to the subject matter, but really it's the very definition of a 5.

Finally we're in agreement. I don't give a fuck how personal this song is, it's neutered and sounds too close to Coldplay for comfort. That falsetto is cringe-inducing.

It gets some points for Boner's vocal and the passion he brings to the song, but this just bores me to death (no pun intended).

Stunning.
It has that great, slow burning build up leading to epic crescendo thing that U2 are masters at.
Great vovals and lyrics, a successor and equal to the almighty Tomorrow, which is saying something from me.

8. Good song, but music can get a bit boring after a while. Kind of a mood piece for me... I can't listen to it all the time, but sometimes it really hits me hard.

This is Bono's song, ultimately. His vocals make up for the music.

It drags, some of the guitar is a little...cut & paste isn't quite right, but...almost U2-by-numbers, some of the lyrics are really clunky, and yet...it's still very moving & uplifting. Makes me quite wobbly if it listen to it in the wrong (right?) mood.

So an 8 - a standout song from HTDAAB (albeit that's probably in context - it's an album with a few duffers imo).

I really like HTDAAB, but for me this is one of the weaker tracks. Nice idea, and there's a half-decent tune there -- the falsetto part is nice -- but overall this track just sounds too AOR for its own good. It just has a generic sound, something I'd almost never associate with U2.

I know we're not allowed to have different opinions, but I gave this a 9. Loses a point for the bridge, which I don't really like, but otherwise, I fucking love it. Great passionate vocal from Bono and the music is awesome too.

Plus it was in an ep of The OC.

Back
Top Bottom