Rate the Song: Slow Dancing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow Dancing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
We're really moving along! Today, let's begin voting on 90s non-album tracks. The following tracks shall be included:

Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1
Lady with the Spinning Head
Salomé
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Slow Dancing
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Sweetest Thing (new version)
Blow Your House Down
Heaven And Hell
Oh Berlin
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Everybody Loves A Winner

This round will have the first six songs, Alex Descends through Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

Please rate Slow Dancing on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

I tried to like this song. Then I heard the Willie Nelson version and my ears cried. I guess the Bono vocal version is okay, but it's just waay too slow for me.

I really like the Willie Nelson version. Original is great too, better than The First Time in my opinion.

Willie version is not even a "version"; it sounds like the bearded one dropped into the studio for a joint and suddenly Bono ran up with the chords to this (by then, 7-year-old) song and forced him to murmur his way through it in one take.

On the other hand, the 1993 recording is sublime, and beats everything on the Zooropa album (except "Stay"). One of their best post-1980s tracks. The only reason it got buried as B-side status is that there was no way they could make it into a hipster/ironic/90s-ish U2 track.

On the other hand, the 1993 recording is sublime, and beats everything on the Zooropa album (except "Stay").

carla.gif

This seems like a recurring criticism for you.

Yeah, I noted that. When I look at my favourite U2 songs, and the reason why I dislike other, tempo plays a big part in it. I tend to prefer the upbeat, up tempo songs. For the slower ones, I have to be in a particular mood. Usually I'm a bit hyper active, and my mind works really fast, so I enjoy songs that go along with it. For me to appreciate a slow song, I'd have to be calm myself I guess.

Though I do appreciate some slower songs a lot, Zooropa, for instance.

On the other hand, the 1993 recording is sublime, and beats everything on the Zooropa album (except "Zooropa" and "Stay").

Fixed. Otherwise I absolutely agree with you. It's stunning in all its simplicity, and one of their most beautiful songs. I don't really listen a lot to the Willie Nelson-version, but the one on the Stay-single is a definite 10. :love:

I love Bono's vocals on this one, as well as the backing vocals. Nice, beautiful song. Not one of my favorites, though. 6.

Fixed. Otherwise I absolutely agree with you. It's stunning in all its simplicity, and one of their most beautiful songs. I don't really listen a lot to the Willie Nelson-version, but the one on the Stay-single is a definite 10. :love:
It's no big deal in this case, but I am quite uncomfortable with people altering my quotes and then making it appear that I wrote something I didn't. That's just acting in bad faith.

Zooropa is a slow song? :scratch:

You need some Luther in your life! :wink:

Well slow from my perspective, yes. :wink: And it starts slow, most of the time when I'm in my regular hyperactive mood I don't give slow starters a chance, I skip to the next song.

Back
Top Bottom