Rate the Song Series: One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate One...no not the number the song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
Guys let's not try to be ironic and give this song all ones or get it to number one, rate it based on how it sounds not how many bands it saved or how many buffaloes it made run off cliffs

Surprisingly... uhh... underrated... on Interference. Too bad. Solid ten for me.

9. A minority of you are idiots. Well, usually it's the majority that is, but not in this instance.

Ugh, why do we even bother with these threads, I don't think a single U2 song is on the level of a '1' vote, let alone this eternal classic, honestly if it wasn't played at every show or such a radio hit, this would be worshipped by the diehards.

Ugh, why do we even bother with these threads, I don't think a single U2 song is on the level of a '1' vote, let alone this eternal classic, honestly if it wasn't played at every show or such a radio hit, this would be worshipped by the diehards.

i'm sure for some over-exposure may be a factor to disliking it, but ever since i first heard it i was never really taken by it and i don't think we should be chastised for having a different opinion.

Coolian I'm not saying you're wrong not to rate it a 10, I'm talking about the backlash that puts it at a 1, unless you're saying you really think it's that awful.

This must be the most controversial U2 song in diehard fandom, when the largest percentage of voters give it a ten and the second largest percentage of voters give it a zero.

8. I've never liked Bono's vocal on the studio version, but live this song never fails to move me.

I'm the opposite. The studio version always moves me, while the live versions have been so diluted and whored out that the original meaning of the song is lost entirely.

If you don't like this song, it's obviously not for musical reasons. And if it's not for musical reasons, you shouldn't be rating the song.

I'm the opposite. The studio version always moves me, while the live versions have been so diluted and whored out that the original meaning of the song is lost entirely.

Exactly! The studio version is so much better than the live ones! Especially that awesome falsetto at the end. He never ever sang as good as on the album.

I couldn't find "11" so I had to score it a mere "10"....

Yup, same here.

Anybody rating it 1 or 0 just to bring the score down is an idiot. Rate based on how much you like it.

If you don't like this song, it's obviously not for musical reasons. And if it's not for musical reasons, you shouldn't be rating the song.

Achtung Baby was the first U2 album I bought. I loved every song on it except for this and So Cruel. I've never been more bored or irritated by a U2 song until Vertigo came out, and this was before I was introduced to how wildly loved it was.

Kindly shut up and stop looking down upon every other poster on the board as inferior.

I always LOVED the lyrics and Bono's delivery. Probably some of my favorite U2 lyrics.

Unfortunately, for me, the music never quite caught up to the lyrics or vocals. The music feels a bit aimless and ramshackle to me; I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's cohesive, linear or quite as anthemic as the song demands.

Some live versions are stellar, most are not. I prefer the Achtung Baby version.

Again, for me, this song is all about the lyrics and Bono's singing. :drool:

Lambaste me if you will, but this is pretty much how I've always felt about 'One'.

10. If I'm honest I'd give it a 9 but I knew there would be too much 0's.
I think the studio version is brilliant. I have yet to see a live version that captures the emotion that studio version has. It's one of Bono's best vocal preformances.

I agree with this, at least partially. The ZooTV performances, especially the ones on the 1st leg (Tacoma 1992), still kept the intimacy and the personal meaning of the song intact. Somewhere around Popmart it seriously started to go downhill. Bono's delivery is a major point (especially the "I can't be holding on" line, the way it's delivered now is almost a symbol of the song's decline). And the bad taste of the Mary J Blige fiasco just won't go away.

Nevertheless, the studio version is a 10.

9, of course, anything less seems weird to me. Overplayed, yes, but that doesn't make it bad.

10 it was magic when i heard it first... 18.11.1991 auckland/new zealand, queen street:up: i still like it. all songs on AB are 10:applaud:

(Brief highjacking of the thread):

Achtung Baby was the first U2 album I bought. I loved every song on it except for this and So Cruel. I've never been more bored or irritated by a U2 song until Vertigo came out, and this was before I was introduced to how wildly loved it was.

It's fine to dislike the song. Nevertheless, awarding a "0" (and no, I'm saying that you did, but so far four peopel have) means that people must absolutely loathe the song. Given that you are a U2 fan, there's no conceivable way you (and no, I'm not implying that you did) could rate this song a "0". Obviously, the four who did so have rendered useless this entire thread, by virtue of their pretending to viciously hate a song that has a delightfully addictive melody and is plainly heartfelt. By virtue of this alone, there is no way anyone could honestly award the song a "0".

For example, I mentioned before that I detest Bon Jovi. But even I would have a hard time rating one of their most popular songs a "0", because at least the song would logically have a good tune, a nice arrangement, or something else that strikes a chord with people. So it is with "One", except that all of you are supposedly U2 fans, and if so, it's embarrassingly stupid to rate this song a "0".

Kindly shut up and stop looking down upon every other poster on the board as inferior.

I have no idea how your comment relates to my post, but since you brought it up, I do not look upon anyone as my inferior -- except for you and one or two others.

10. every song from U2's best album gets a 10. never got the hate for this song here. it's one of my favorites.

plus the live 1995 version = :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom