Rate the Song Series: One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate One...no not the number the song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually referring to the forum in general, not this thread. I have never before seen an Internet-fanbase that goes out of its way to attack its favorite band's most acclaimed songs.

Incidentally, I would never imply that someone was an idiot for awarding "One" a zero. I would, however, state it plainly.

For what it's worth, if you gave one of my all time favourite songs a 0, I wouldn't give a shit.

I don't really understand why this song always seems to cause such diverse reactions and arguments. Some love the song, some hate it. So what. Vote and move on.

Can we end this poll early? :happy:

I like the song because I find it to have a strong, memorable melody and a nice vocal and lyric. And I have a few fun, positive memories associated with the track. To another point, the biggest reason I like U2 is Bono. I find him to be an incredibly engaging and dynamic artistic performer, and he has great hair. And I think he shines on the studio version of "One", especially in the latter half of the song. The vocal delivery is fantastic, in my most humblest of opinions.

I also completely understand why people would dislike the song.

I wont complain about people giving the song zero as I know I'll be giving a zero or two myself later on..

Loved the song was I first heard back when Achtung Baby was released and I still do. Love all the videos but especially the 'Bono in bar' version! :drool: Love hearing (seeing!) U2 perform this song live!! :up:

Who voted this ZERO?!?! I have been a songwriter for years, and any writer in his mind would be exultant for a moment of inspiration and simplicity like that. A very easy, and emphatic 10 for me. Superb. Lasting across time and space and applicable to both love and social commentary, thus somewhat ambiguous. Which is what many classic songs do.

Even if the One dislike was partly due to a diluted respect for or enjoyment of the song due to it's overexposure, over-application or whatever, it's still a legitimate dislike, because it has prompted the haters to have a lower likelihood to go out of their way to listen to the song. That's key. They genuinely don't enjoy the song anymore.

I'm rating on personal enjoyability of each song. Ultimately, I think that's all that should really matter in an individual's vote.

You're damn right. I have to admit, in the beginning of my fandom I liked One. Save to say it started out very high in my favourites.

But now, after a few years? Heard it WAY too much, heard it being OVER OVER hyped WAY too much. I just.. don't enjoy it anymore. I'm sick of hearing this song and I'm sick of hearing people talk how it's U2's best song ever.

I'm not saying others aren't allowed to love this song. I'm just sayin' I don't.

Bono had long hair when he wrote the lyrics to One, though! He was GOD at the time! YOU CANNOT DENY THE AWESOMENESS OF THIS SONG.

i see no point in trying to convince people that don't like it into liking the song. i also see no point in trying to convince people that do like the song in not liking it.

Shit, I've missed my chance to give it a 5, putting me in between the camps that say "BEST SONG EVAH" and "WORST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER HEARD."

:(

YouTube - U2 One Live From ZooTV Sydney

I understand disliking a song because you think it is derivative of other U2 songs, having simplistic lyrics, disliking the melody, etc, etc,. But when it can be performed at such a high level as it was this night, the amount of passion the band puts into this version seems to me deserves enough respect to give it more than a 0. A 0 would be unlistenable and I'm not sure if anyone had been at that concert would have said that this version was unlistenable and they would rather be hearing any other U2 song at all besides One as Bono went into the "Hear Us Coming" verse.

YouTube - U2 One Live From ZooTV Sydney

I understand disliking a song because you think it is derivative of other U2 songs, having simplistic lyrics, disliking the melody, etc, etc,. But when it can be performed at such a high level as it was this night, the amount of passion the band puts into this version seems to me deserves enough respect to give it more than a 0. A 0 would be unlistenable and I'm not sure if anyone had been at that concert would have said that this version was unlistenable and they would rather be hearing any other U2 song at all besides One as Bono went into the "Hear Us Coming" verse.
funny choice. the popmart mexico city version is the only reason i didn't give it a zero!

it and zoo tv sydney (although sporadically) are the only versions that don't make me instantly hit next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom