Rate the Song Series: One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate One...no not the number the song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
BD is U2 by the numbers... ?
Because of the "teach me.." Edge riff that echoes I will follow ?

BD is U2 by the numbers... ?
Because of the "teach me.." Edge riff that echoes I will follow ?

I don't think it's anything specific. It's just this feeling I get when I hear it. It's like U2 is trying to create a classic '80s anthem like Pride or Streets, but the whole thing ends up sounding like a commercial jingle (except for the whole "touch, me, teach me" part where some genuine emotion actually comes through).

One gets a one (not being ironic) from me. It's not the worst U2 song ever, and I like the live Hear Us Coming verse, but I have no desire to ever hear this song again in any setting. Any song I never listen to automatically can score no higher than 2 by my rating scheme, and One is worse than the songs I've given 2. Hence this is an easy vote.

It's bland U2 by the numbers. No wonder our numerical friend is so superiorist about it.

THIS KIND OF LOGICAL REASONING WILL NOT DO.

you're a bastard for not loving this song. evil. die! clearly you hate u2 and if you don't hate u2 then you're just being a dick and if you genuinely dislike the song you don't know music.

THIS KIND OF LOGICAL REASONING WILL NOT DO.

you're a bastard for not loving this song. evil. die! clearly you hate u2 and if you don't hate u2 then you're just being a dick and if you genuinely dislike the song you don't know music.

I think anyone who genuinely buys into such an elitist, condescending attitude (like 8675309 or whoever) is hardly worth such a hyperbolic response. I think it's perfectly fine that the Superthread has shipwrecked One's chances, it's democracy in action. I just wish Ax could see how completely, utterly wrong he is about One being bland U2-by-numbers. :wink:

I think anyone who genuinely buys into such an elitist, condescending attitude (like 8675309 or whoever) is hardly worth such a hyperbolic response.

yeah, but it was fun to say.

incidentally, i don't think one is u2 by the numbers, since there aren't many u2 songs like it. there is plenty of u2 by the numbers stuff out there, which is along the lines of shimmering rockers with a soaring chorus. certainly when it was released it was something different, but u2 have tried to chase that formula this decade, with varying degrees of success and that's probably why it is considered u2 by the numbers.

doesn't mean i have to like it any more though.

I'm glad to see that a strong majority here rates this song so highly.

I don't mind that some people don't like it, but I don't understand the zeros at all.

To me, a zero means there is just about nothing out there that I would like to hear less. And there is some pretty putrid music in this world.

It would have to be such godawful horrible music that it would be enough to make me walk out of a U2 concert if they played it.

The worst U2 album songs are better than so much of what you hear on the radio these days.

Now, some of the demos...........

some people (including me) don't like it. that's all there is to it. i've hated it since the first time i heard it. but clearly, my opinion is wrong and is only my opinion in the attempt to impress someone or something. whatever. i just can't wait until this round is over so both side can quit talking about why the other side doesn't agree with them.

some people (including me) don't like it. that's all there is to it. i've hated it since the first time i heard it. but clearly, my opinion is wrong and is only my opinion in the attempt to impress someone or something. whatever. i just can't wait until this round is over so both side can quit talking about why the other side doesn't agree with them.

I like Red Light and Trip Through Your Wires. Think of the Interference-given plight my household has faced all these years! It's just opinions. A handful of people express them poorly, just ignore them.

IOW

haters.gif

Can't stand One (or much of Actung Baby, if you look at my other votings). 0

To summarize: I couldn't care less whether you like "One" or not, but I do think we should treat the thread with some objective analysis, not just "I've heard this song too much -- I'll give it a zero!"

You're hilarious. You've had a go at me for supposedly being unable or unwilling to accept other people have other viewpoints. Pot, meet kettle. Some people simply think One is a steaming pile of crap. Deal with it.

Why do we have to have stupid arguments whenever this song comes up?

And I love how most of One's most rabid defenders have to resort to silly ad hominem attacks rather than having an actual discussion about the song's (lack of) merits.

You have every right to not like the song, but to call it "bland U2 by the numbers" shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's one of those silly ad hominem attacks I was talking about. Look, One is clearly cut from the same cloth as songs such as WOWY, AIWIY, Stay, etc. A style U2 excel at, and that has come to publicly define a not insignificant part of the band's career. Except One lacks everything that makes those other songs great to me. It's just the formula and nothing more. I've no desire to hear that.

If anything, the song transcends U2.

Pointless hyperbole. Come off it.

Would everyone from Johnny Cash to Mary J. Blige be covering otherwise?

Meaningless appeal to authority. I don't care what Johnny Cash or Mary J. Blige like or think is worth covering. I care about what I like. Forming an opinion on a song based on anything other than the reaction of my own two ears would be moronic.

Even if the One dislike was partly due to a diluted respect for or enjoyment of the song due to it's overexposure, over-application or whatever, it's still a legitimate dislike, because it has prompted the haters to have a lower likelihood to go out of their way to listen to the song. That's key. They genuinely don't enjoy the song anymore.

I'm rating on personal enjoyability of each song. Ultimately, I think that's all that should really matter in an individual's vote.

Even if the One dislike was partly due to a diluted respect for or enjoyment of the song due to it's overexposure, over-application or whatever, it's still a legitimate dislike, because it has prompted the haters to have a lower likelihood to go out of their way to listen to the song. That's key. They genuinely don't enjoy the song anymore.

I'm rating on personal enjoyability of each song. Ultimately, I think that's all that should really matter in an individual's vote.
thank you! :)

You're hilarious. You've had a go at me for supposedly being unable or unwilling to accept other people have other viewpoints. Pot, meet kettle. Some people simply think One is a steaming pile of crap. Deal with it.

As I've already said twice (on this thread), I don't reject the fact that people dislike the song. I believe that you don't like it. What I don't believe is that you think it's bad enough to rate a '0' (or a '1'). I mean, you say yourself that the song plays to U2's strengths; I therefore maintain there is no way a U2 fan could honestly hate the song that much.

Why do we have to have stupid arguments whenever this song comes up?.

I believe this is the first time I've ever got into a discussion about it, yet I recall reading hundreds of your posts on this subject. So what was that about the pot and the kettle?

And I love how most of One's most rabid defenders have to resort to silly ad hominem attacks rather than having an actual discussion about the song's (lack of) merits.

I've never attacked anybody who didn't attack me first, and only then if I had a point to make. And if you read my previous post or two, you'll see my description of the merits of "One" -- which are rather obvious anyway.

Sadly, one thing I've learned from this forum is why so many knowledgeable music people despise U2 fans.

Sadly, one thing I've learned from this forum is why so many knowledgeable music people despise U2 fans.
uh...how is it possible to be knowledgeable on something that is an opinion? the only way someone can be "knowledgeable music people" is to know when the tuba was invented. and something tells me that's not what you mean. but hey, i appreciate the implying that we're idiots for not liking the song. nice way to avoid blatantly personally attacking us. :up:

As I've already said twice (on this thread), I don't reject the fact that people dislike the song. I believe that you don't like it. What I don't believe is that you think it's bad enough to rate a '0' (or a '1').

You just proved my point. You can't accept that people really do think that. They DO. Get this through your head. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

I mean, you say yourself that the song plays to U2's strengths; I therefore maintain there is no way a U2 fan could honestly hate the song that much.

No, I said it plays to a particular template or formula. It's quite possible for me to think that U2 poorly executed the formula on this particular occasion. They normally pull off winners, e.g. WOWY, AIWIY, Stay, but in this case completely failed.

I believe this is the first time I've ever got into a discussion about it, yet I recall reading hundreds of your posts on this subject. So what was that about the pot and the kettle?

It was a general comment, not one about you specifically. And what, I'm only allowed to state my opinion once? I'm referring to the fact we have a particular argument every time somebody says they dislike One, not any more broad matter of personal opinion or expression.

I've never attacked anybody who didn't attack me first, and only then if I had a point to make.

If you have to resort to an ad hominem attack, your point must be pretty weak.

It was a general comment, not one about you specifically. And what, I'm only allowed to state my opinion once? I'm referring to the fact we have a particular argument every time somebody says they dislike One, not any more broad matter of personal opinion or expression.
yeah it's our newest rule. you can only state your opinion once. :depressed:

but hey, i appreciate the implying that we're idiots for not liking the song. nice way to avoid blatantly personally attacking us. :up:

I was actually referring to the forum in general, not this thread. I have never before seen an Internet-fanbase that goes out of its way to attack its favorite band's most acclaimed songs.

Incidentally, I would never imply that someone was an idiot for awarding "One" a zero. I would, however, state it plainly.

I was actually referring to the forum in general, not this thread. I have never before seen an Internet-fanbase that goes out of its way to attack its favorite band's most acclaimed songs.

Oh yeah, I'm always seeing people call Streets shit, and deride Bad as the worst song ever written, and how about all those I Hate WOWY threads!

Get a grip.

Incidentally, I would never imply that someone was an idiot for awarding "One" a zero. I would, however, state it plainly.

Wish I'd given One a zero now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom