Rate The Song: Running to Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTSS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
And today we move on to the first half of The Joshua Tree.

Please rate Running to Stand Still on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

As I posted this poll, I kind of realized how amazing of an album The Joshua Tree is. Streets-Still Haven't Found-With or Without You-Bullet the Blue Sky-Running to Stand Still all in a row? That's a pretty nice run of songs.

Great song, spine chilling words, the twangy guitar at the beginning, the subtle piano. I'll give it an 8, but only because I know there are better ones out there. Would go for 8.5 if I could.

Rarely does a song deserve a perfect 10 as much as this one. Bono's best lyrics as well.

The 'hammy' live performances of this song where Bono pretends to shoot himself up turn me off in a big way, but the song itself is sublime. The studio original has never been beaten (although the -- slightly edited -- version in Tempe in the Rattle & Hum film is stunning). Yet another '10'.
[I've now rated the first half of Joshua Tree a collective 48 out of 50 -- hmm, maybe the best side of a vinyl record ever?]

The 'hammy' live performances of this song where Bono pretends to shoot himself up turn me off in a big way,

:up: Yep.

but the song itself is sublime. The studio original has never been beaten (although the -- slightly edited -- version in Tempe in the Rattle & Hum film is stunning). Yet another '10'.

Absolutely. One of the few U2 songs that hasn't been topped live.

One of my favorites on The Joshua Tree...so good, yet I wish it was like the live versions, especially ZooTV. Amazing song, great lyrics. Giving it a 9.

Cactus Annie said:
is there anymore Rate A songs? Is it Digitize who's responsible for all these polls?

Yes I am. I post half an album's worth of song-polls every other day.

Glad it was Cactus who gave this obvious 10 a 3. :wink:

Don't have much to say re: the first five tracks of this album because it's all been said before, but this one is my favorite of the batch. Slays most every U2 song lyrically, and the melody is simple and powerful. A+ track by any and all criteria.

I don't even know where to start. I still remember the first time I heard The Joshua Tree - it was my Dad's birthday, and I was blown away by this track immediately, and have been ever since. I find it hard to get through sometimes. It inspired me to write a short story. Everything about it complete perfection. Bono's best lyrics. Great subtle guitar from Edge, the piano too. Larry's drumming adds amazing texture. Bono's vocal is terrific. The harmonica. The final minute.

They really don't make em like this anymore.

The 'hammy' live performances of this song where Bono pretends to shoot himself up turn me off in a big way

Please hand in your fan cards at the door. They've been revoked due to extremely poor taste.

RTSS/Streets from ZooTV is the pinnacle of the band for me.

Although one of the Point Depot versions, with the Dirty Old Town snippet, and the crowd singing every word, comes very close. What it must have been like to be there.

Timeless perfection. Like the Mono Lisa it will never age nor blemish. In a hundred years time it will still be as potent and haunting as it is today. 10. (Btw did some guy give it a 3?!)

Extremely classy, understated song. The slow burning build up has become a U2 trademark, albeit a great one, a trademark that has rarely been bettet than this.

In particular, I love the first "singing ha, ha la la la de day", so subtle.

Great great lyrics, beautifully sung:

" You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice. You know I took the poison from the poison stream, then I floated out of here...."

prizes for anyone who can tell me what "ha la la la de day" means :D :lol: :heart:

(it's my favourite song in the world)

Back
Top Bottom