Rate The Song: Rejoice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Song: Rejoice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today, we shall begin rating the first half of October.

Please rate Rejoice on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Also, if you have yet to do so, please vote in the still-opened polls for The Ocean, A Day Without Me, Another Time, Another Place, The Electric Co., and Shadows And Tall Trees.

Polls for Gloria, I Fall Down, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, and Fire are now open as well.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours. Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate it; I hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Giving it a 7. It's a good song. Lyrics are crap as most tracks on October. But I love the energy on this one.

Agree, the energy carries the song (just). It's a little adolescent in lyrics, but in a nice way. There's a moment after the second "chorus" at about the 2:00 mark, where you're expecting a musical bridge and instead you get a pointless Larry drumroll for about 20 seconds = songwriting fail. (To be fair, they had to make albums in a hurry in those days.)

This track is okay, but sort-of encapsulates the problem with October -- the singer has nothing much to say, and the guitarist over-compensates for his band-members with fairly good but very generic 'stadium-rock' kind of riffs.

Give this a 6.

cobl04 said:
Pretty juvenile stuff, but I really like that line "I can't change the world / but I can change the world in me". 6.

I would give it a 7 normally, but I'm giving it an 8 for that line. It's a real firecracker of a song, wish it had remained a staple for a longer period than it was.

Baby-Edge riff worth a LOT in this one. I love the term "firecracker" that LemonMelon used... they took it up a notch even over Gloria on this one. What a brilliant kid that David Howell Evans was - this song is great.

10. Completely underrated in my opinion. Coulda been a setlist contender for longer.

And yes, if Bono wins the Nobel, it will be for that line alone.

Wow, this has a heavy riff!

A little juvenile maybe, but I can see what a young Bono was getting so worked up about. :-0

This seems like a song that would have absolutely been killer live, to bad it didn't get that far. The bass is awesome and the lyrics are cool despite juvenile undertones, so I give it an 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom