Rate The Song: Red Hill Mining Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHMT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Unfortunately, I have to post today's polls a bit early - I'm about to go out of town. So today, we move on to the second half of The Joshua Tree.

Please rate Red Hill Mining Town on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

9. When JT first came out is was my favourite song on the album.

"Love...slowly stripped away" is one of Bono's finest moments on record. Pity they've never played this live (probably because he just can't hit that note).

When TJT first came out, this Streets and One Tree Hill were my instant favourites, they still are.
Beautiful vocals, great song that perfectly sums up both the dignity and degredation of the miners.

The video gets a 10 as well!

That videos pretty funny actually...and a little embarrassing. U2 taking themselves WAY to seriously, even for the JT era (though Bono admittedly looks great). And that's saying something. No wonder it never really saw the light of day back in the day. It's kind of cringe inducing in its seriouness.

Looking at the shots of the band (especially the Edge) as the camera is panning when the video begins tells you all you need to know. And WTF is Larry doing? Beating a couple sticks against the wall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRekLUX3GE

9, but the video gets a 10. :shifty:

The video gets a 10 in silliness, and a 10 possibly as a historical artifact. 10 for being a pretty big mistake. 10 for over earnestness.

The band wisely never released this as an official vid, probably b/c they were embarrassed and hated it. Which was a good move, because the plight of the people the song was about is a deadly serious one, and U2 playing air-band in a mine (re: a graveyard for those miners) probably wasn't the best idea.

Pfffffft....back to PLEBA with you!

:wink:

Busted! It is a pleba classic!

The video gets a 10 in silliness, and a 10 possibly as a historical artifact. 10 for being a pretty big mistake. 10 for over earnestness.

The band wisely never released this as an official vid, probably b/c they were embarrassed and hated it. Which was a good move, because the plight of the people the song was about is a deadly serious one, and U2 playing air-band in a mine (re: a graveyard for those miners) probably wasn't the best idea.

I give it a 10 because I want to, regardless of your opinion.

Yeah. It's the most horrible possility. Yet they refuse a name change.

:tsk: I still say it should be DEBLA. Dallas is so much more worthy than McGuinne$$.

or just:

BALE

american_psycho_16855.jpg

This is obviously a great track, but I still think it doesn't fit the album as well as all 10 other tracks. The sound of it is somehow less of a piece with the album -- even the subject matter, which was getting a little dated already by the time the album came out. But fantastic song!

Well, that goes without saying. Of course you're giving it a 10 because you want to. I didn't think Neil Jordon was holding your cat hostage.

Besides, I gave the video a 10 also, and in four different categories!

For the record, Larry told me that they actually were quite proud of the video...

:lol::shifty:

Larry's role as Guy Who Hits Some Object Off Screen With A Stick definitely competes with Guy In Man On The Train as his best film role.

I think this song best encapsulates the cinematic feeling of The Joshua Tree.

The video is hella embarrassing, though.

10. Brilliant song and one I enjoy listening to in the late evening/late night hours as the sun goes down. It's really good late, late at night too. I also love the way it ends. Very nicely with the synthesizers fading out. "Let's go out on Red Hill"

I'm finding it very difficult to rate Joshua Tree songs any less than a 7. Shows how brilliant the album really is and every time I listen to it I get this whole spiritual thing going on. I love it. I don't connect with many albums like I do with Joshua Tree. Just had to say this. :)

Back
Top Bottom