Rate the Song: Peace on Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peace on Earth

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's move onto voting for the second half of All That You Can't Leave Behind today.

Please rate Peace on Earth on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

A much hated and maligned song among the cynical, this one is kind of a litmus test for how open you are to Bono's sometimes predilection for heart-on-his-sleeve sentimentality.

Taking it for what it is, and given its post-9/11 significance, I'm rather fond of it.

Inane lyrics, boring melody, below average performances. Nothing to do with being cynical or not.

In many ways, the anti-U2 song. Meaning that what I usually respect about this band - the effective but (relatively) subtle social and political undertones that can be interpreted in many different ways, being supported by emotional, energy-filled and both triumphant and dark music that you can easily connect with on a personal level - has turned 180 in this politically correct, embarrassing dreck.

So I guess I'll give it a 10. :drool:

Very nice, sweet melody but ultimately and surprisingly given the subject matter, the lyrics are unispired and overall it's just sounds dull to me.

i have actually grown to love this song. This, along with WILATW present an atmosphere that begs for TGBHF and Stateless to be included on this album instead of IALW and Wild Honey.

i have actually grown to love this song. This, along with WILATW present an atmosphere that begs for TGBHF and Stateless to be included on this album instead of IALW and Wild Honey.

I admire your opinion, but no. :D

Never big on this one, unfortunately. 4.

There's all this random Edge noodling scattered throughout this song that I really enjoy. Sounds like he's playing around with a slide. That's cool. The song itself is a bit drab and on-the-nose lyrically. 6.

I've always compared Edge's "watery" guitar sound here to that on Led Zeppelin's Down By The Seaside. So I really like that.

And I've never understood why people think this song is overly sentimental when Bono's vocal is so desperate, vulnerable, and then finally bitter. The way he spits out the final repeat of the title is rather shocking.

The vocal melody itself is also very clear and memorable, and I love Larry's drum work on the chorus.

One of the most underrated in their catalog.

lazarus said:
I've always compared Edge's "watery" guitar sound here to that on Led Zeppelin's Down By The Seaside. So I really like that.

And I've never understood why people think this song is overly sentimental when Bono's vocal is so desperate, vulnerable, and then finally bitter. The way he spits out the final repeat of the title is rather shocking.

The vocal melody itself is also very clear and memorable, and I love Larry's drum work on the chorus.

One of the most underrated in their catalog.

I swear i thought you were kidding till i saw you gave this a 9.

:up:

It took me a long time, but I've grown to respect this little song for what it is. A homage to a horrible event, it's slow but it doesn't put me to sleep liek Grace does, it calms, soothes.

My second least-favorite on ATYCLB. It's a bland song, in my opinion, but I love Edge's scattered guitar playing throughout the song, as well as Bono's vocals. Another song I don't have on my iPod. :wink: 5.

I loved this song, when I heard it the first time. I don't understand the hate, can't hear the sentimentality.

One of the things I like about U2 is contrast. Here it is the contrast in the beautiful melody and arrangement and the bitterness and anger in Bono's voice, his vocal is placed forward in the mix, so that it sounds as he is standing right next to you, singing in your ear.

I give it a 10 :yes:

Back
Top Bottom