Rate The Song: New Year's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New Year's Day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin rating War! We're moving along fairly quickly in this Rate The Song Series.

Please rate New Year's Day on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

10 from me. I think it's one of the best raw compositions of the 80s.

Got a great yet basic music video, great bass line, and it's just a door opening on War showing you what U2 is capable of in the future. Multiple home runs on one album, and it's just that. They hit a home run with this, IMO.

Perfect 10!
Great bassline, kickass chorus, sweet guitar solo, and that keyboard part is to die for! Plus the fact that Edge does double duty of guitar and keyboards so effortlessly makes it awesome x 1,000,000,000.

Of all the "warhorses", this is one that should be played MORE OFTEN, instead of sparingly like it has been on the last 2 tours.

I gave it a 9. The bass line is phenomenal, and the keyboard riff and guitar work is fantastic. It's also one of U2's greatest live tracks.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of 10 is because I'm reserving 10 for the two or three U2 tracks that are perfect to me. This isn't quite, but close.

Perfect 10. This was the one song I wish I heard live at the Miami show this summer. Should have been played more frequently on U2360.

Other than that, their best song in the pre-Unforgettable Fire era. Love it, love it, love it.

I'm tempted to give this one a '9' because it's been whored-out far too much in endless live performances of the same, tired, boring arrangement that hasn't changed since Pac-Man and E.T. were all the rage, but it's simply too good to not give it a '10'.

I'm tempted to give this one a '9' because it's been whored-out far too much in endless live performances of the same, tired, boring arrangement that hasn't changed since Pac-Man and E.T. were all the rage, but it's simply too good to not give it a '10'.
good, because i was half tempted to ask precisely what the hell actually needed changing.

Seriously? This rocks live.

Seriously? This rocks live.
I agree. But I don't like how they drag it out in EVERY SINGLE U2 concert video and concert, in general. I mean, surely "New Year's Day" is the #1 most performed song in U2's history...? It wouldn't be so bad if they actually changed the arrangement even slightly in a quarter-century, but it still sounds exactly like it did in 1982.

Damn good song, though.

If anything, they don't play NYD often enough! It's all a matter of opinion, though. I have seen 5 shows and it wasn't performed at any of them.

Anyway whether it's overplayed or not this is absolutely a top 5 song from the 80's for me. Totally driven by that awesome bassline, this belongs to Adam as far as I'm concerned. One of his best, and complimented so well by Edge's stellar piano and guitar work. Well deserved 10.

They barely played it on 360. It's one of those songs that I think I'm sick of, and then I hear the opening chords, either in concert or the album version, and it still sounds fresh and amazing.

I agree with Panther here. The song rocks the socks, but having been played for 28 years in the same arrangement, it's a bit tiring. That said, I'd much rather hear that than Pride, which also hasn't changed all that much.

FTR, I Will Follow and Pride are the most played songs IIRC.

I'm giving it a 10
Because I just love the song, clip & of course when I got to hear at the 2nd 360 show in Sydney ;) & of course it's the best song to hear first thing on New Years Day

I agree. But I don't like how they drag it out in EVERY SINGLE U2 concert video and concert, in general. I mean, surely "New Year's Day" is the #1 most performed song in U2's history...? It wouldn't be so bad if they actually changed the arrangement even slightly in a quarter-century, but it still sounds exactly like it did in 1982.

Damn good song, though.

I have only seen it once. I wasn't expecting it at all (Montreal 2). I remember seeing them on the Vertigo tour in Minneapolis and someone in the crowd said "What about New Year's Day?" So, I guess it all depends on what shows you have seen.

As Cori said, I don't think it needs any changes at all. :up:

Would you prefer they drop the affecting piano and awesome solo for a reggae beat and some bagpipes? :down:

Nothing less than a 10.

Isn't it ironic that Montreal got New Year's Day and then I got New Year's Day at the Panthers v. Montreal Canadiens game tonight on New Year's Eve?

While in conversation with a U2 fan via Facebook, who happened to be at that show and got NYD. Who is also a Canadien fan?

More reasons to give it a 10.

Apparently, the song is somewhat less played than I thought (I confess I haven't paid any attention to live U2 since 2006). "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is sort of fine, but they did "fix" Bullet The Blue Sky and other songs that didn't necessarily need fixin'. Some change is good. (On the positive side, Bono can sing "NYD" really well still, but not so much "Pride".)

NYD is absolutely demolishing the competition in this contest so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom