Rate the Song: Mysterious Ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysty Ways

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Now it is time to rate the second half of Achtung Baby.

Please rate Mysterious Ways on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

Very pleasant song, great rhytmn. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is the absence of the brilliant live solo that was shamefully ignored on the 360 tour.

Like going to church and the priest is a belly dancer. Sensuous lyrics accompanied by music to drink and dance to in a Turkish bazaar. Outstanding live performances during the Zoo TV and Elevation tour were unfortunately displaced by the mediocre Vertigo and downright awful 360 version.

It doesn't get much better than this.

About every song off AB improved on ZOO TV but it's most apparent with this song. I'm only giving it an 8 because it had a lot more potential (I'm basing all my votes on studio versions).

One of my all-time favorite U2 songs. Although I wish they performed the song with the slide solo on U2360, it's still incredible. It's just one hell of a song. Love Edge's riff, and the random percussion beats in the studio version.

Live, it's just incredible, as I said above. Wow, I love this song so much. Easy 10.

This song bores the hell outta me live now. I go into snooze mode when I hear that legendary opening riff. FFS U2, please do something different with this song live because it has lost all the vim, vigor and funk it had in the 90's. Still love the album version though. 8

This song bores the hell outta me live now. I go into snooze mode when I hear that legendary opening riff. FFS U2, please do something different with this song live because it has lost all the vim, vigor and funk it had in the 90's. Still love the album version though. 8

Agreed. It's lost something live the past couple tours. The 360 version was embarassing.

It may have been overplayed the last two tours, but it still has that quality about it that makes it an overall sexy song. The music video... :drool: 9.

9 in studio, 10 for most of the versions between 1992 and 2006, and something below zero for the godawful 360 version.

the 360 version was still a lot better than the rehearsed version of the song with the Edge playing an acoustic guitar.

About every song off AB improved on ZOO TV but it's most apparent with this song. I'm only giving it an 8 because it had a lot more potential (I'm basing all my votes on studio versions).

Exactly how I feel, only I'm squeaking out a 9 for it. I don't want the live versions to cloud my judgement of these songs, but the piano, extended outro, overall added energy of the ZooTV version was fantastic, and some of that added to the studio version would have improved it.

And I still remember hearing this in a club in 1995. Not a remix, the full studio version. Their most danceable song.

The studio version has started to lose its luster for me to a very small degree. It never really lets loose the way the live version does. That being said, it's unspeakably funky. 9.

If you' said even a year before it came out that U2 would try to write, record and put out as a single, a funky, bass-heavy pop song with rythem as the key ingredient, you'd have probably thought it would be terrible.
It wasn't.
Everything they wanted to achieve with this song, they did.
Great video too, capturing the bright colours and hedonistic joy of the song.
ZOO Tv version gets a 10 though.

Back
Top Bottom