Rate the Song: Moment of Surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moment of Surrender

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
POSSIBLY the best track on there for me - and it only took me 3 years to come to that conclusion haha

but yeah, seriously good song both in terms of the music itself and the playing - made all the more fascinating by the story behind its writing/recording. I think the 10s it gets are completely justified.

Thinking of MOS makes me sad about the tour being over. The album version can't live up to the live experience. Major goosebumps and the band, especially Bono, were so much into it. Loved it everytime I heard it live, the song is a gift and blessing. Possibly one of Bono's best lyrics. I wouldn't want to have it any shorter. I wonder whether the band will ever take the "risk" of doing such a song again in the future.

If I may repeat what a fan once said about this one, "Moment of Surrender is a like a long vanished gospel that has been unearthed after centuries". Haunting in its own way, its my second favorite after the title track, and arguably their best song since Please. I do wish Edge was more prominent, especially in the verses, but even as it is there's no question about its place as a classic in the bands catalogue. Those last couple of minutes give me goosebumps.

For a while this song was the one that I seemed to avoid the most. It has it's own beauty even as I listen to it now, but I just don't like this song :shrug:. One lyric I do like is 'I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me...'

And ATM machine...:huh:

I think there's a distinction between "best" and "favourite". Motion Picture Soundtrack is my favourite song from Kid A, but it's not the best on the album.

That's a weird distinctiin to make because it implies that you can objectively measure how good a song is.

That's a weird distinctiin to make because it implies that you can objectively measure how good a song is.

Obviously, you can't completely be objective about any work of art. But can can judge components of that art against what is generally considered superior when comported to other similar works.

Obviously you can make some relatievely objective observations about the lyrical quality, musicianship, production values, vocal performance, and draw your own conclusions based on that, and not on whichever song you personally "like" better.

For a while this song was the one that I seemed to avoid the most. It has it's own beauty even as I listen to it now, but I just don't like this song :shrug:. One lyric I do like is 'I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me...'

And ATM machine...:huh:
:lol: Yes, exactly... well, at least that line reminded me to never say "ATM machine" again.

cobl04 said:
I think there's a distinction between "best" and "favourite". Motion Picture Soundtrack is my favourite song from Kid A, but it's not the best on the album.

Oh, duh. Yes, I can relate to that.

I thought they meant "favorite songs on this particular album," but "best since Please" meaning ... well, just that.

Don't know why people care so much about that line. I'm sure we've all said "ATM machine" a million times.

i actually want to smack people who complain about this line. it's technically not right, but a commonly accepted convention on something someone says.

usually complained about by people who need to find a way to look intelligent.

grates my teeth.

Yeah exactly. Also I've hardly ever said "PIN". I always say "PIN number". Yes, technically those two terms are incorrect, but who cares? Everyone says it.

And I have never, ever heard someone say, "where's the automatic teller machine?" or "what's my personal identification number again?"

Yeah exactly. Also I've hardly ever said "PIN". I always say "PIN number". Yes, technically those two terms are incorrect, but who cares? Everyone says it.

And I have never, ever heard someone say, "where's the automatic teller machine?" or "what's my personal identification number again?"

Finally, something we can agree on.

As I said earlier, considering the first person narrative of the song, using "ATM Machine" makes perfect sense, as that's how most people use the term. I don't remember anyone complaining about Van Halen singing "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" .

Of course, I don't have a link to back that up or anything. I'm just guessing.:lol:

Seriously. Moment of Surrender is about an everyman walking around having epiphanies, not Shakespeare having a normal day.

In the year of our Lord
I struck upon the numeric keypade of the automated tellere machine
My reflectione therein exposed a visage to mine unsuspecting eyes

cobl04 said:
I have never, ever heard someone say, "where's the automatic teller machine?" or "what's my personal identification number again?"

Which is why just "ATM" or "PIN" will suffice. Adding in the redundancy is sloppy, even if commonly accepted.

I suppose I'm not sure what I think of the context. It sort of depends to me on whether Bono was just being sloppy or it was an intentional addition to the character. I don't think that the latter scenario is too unlikely, but who knows for sure? Don't mind me, though; it's just one of my pet peeves.

In the year of our Lord
I struck upon the numeric keypade of the automated tellere machine
My reflectione therein exposed a visage to mine unsuspecting eyes

AWESOME.

Also, maybe he added "machine" because singing just "At the AYYYY TEEE EMMMM ....." leaves a big effing hole in the line.

Perhaps some of you would prefer he added a "baby" or an "ooh yeah" in there instead?

Back
Top Bottom