Rate the Song: Miracle Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miracle Drug

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Hello, hello… today we move onto voting for the first half of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Please rate Miracle Drug on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

One of the better tracks on this record, and I love the "beneath the noise beyond the din" chorus at the end, which saves it from getting a lower score. I personally think (and I haven't read this just suspect) that parts of this song are autobiographical for Bono...but I'm not sure to what extent, it's just a feeling.

Yes, it could have been better, probably much better, but compared to most of the rest of the album, it holds up pretty well.

i cringe every time i hear the "newborn baby's head lyric", but the slide guitar solo transition into the Edge vocals and then final chorus still sends chills down my spine.

I liked it a lot when it came out, but I don't listen to it a whole lot anymore. Still, it's got its advantages musically (especially the intro). 7.

Truly LOVE this song. The guitar, and Edge's vocals, just love it. Definitely Edge's song to me. Win or Loose, it's perfect.

As I'm sitting here thinking about the songs on this album, I find for the most part that I felt much more passionate about these tracks in the year surrounding the HTDAAB release. 2004/2005.

This one knocked me out when I first heard it. Thought it was stunning.

Edge's solo and his little verse there late in the song...the gentle lead guitar line...Bono's delivery in the verses...the big chorus.

I will say now that a couple of the lines in the song are a bit clunky and hold it back but, for the most part, I still feel very good about this tune. Just not quite as good as I did when I was rocking out to it in my dorm room back in 2004.

Would have been a 9 or a 10 then...now I'll give it an 8. Good song. Still one of my favorites on the album along with COBL, OOTS, and Vertigo.

Lol what? Lip sync? Tell me more :D:D

Oh it was hilarious. We'd have many threads here and bitchcomments on Youtube with OMG BONO LIP SYNCHS.

And of course, this was posted with 'proof' of live Miracle Drug, or under a video of it. And of course, they pointed out the part where Bono's not singing, nor holding the mic to his face..... where you can clearly hear EDGE sing. :lol: Major fail.

Some people who didn't know better had their eyes on Bono in concert, and didn't realize that Edge sang that middle bit, so because they heard singing and didn't see Bono's lips flapping, they thought Bono must have been lip synching, or that they used backing tracks for vocals.

I love the song. The baby head freedom line is ridiculous, but it's given us endless amusement and opportunities to make jokes, so it's actually a good thing.

Oh it was hilarious. We'd have many threads here and bitchcomments on Youtube with OMG BONO LIP SYNCHS.

And of course, this was posted with 'proof' of live Miracle Drug, or under a video of it. And of course, they pointed out the part where Bono's not singing, nor holding the mic to his face..... where you can clearly hear EDGE sing. :lol: Major fail.

Oh the haters :D.
I like the song it's quite beautiful. A solid 7 from me.

This is easily one of my favorites on HTDAAB - and I love the live version as well. The ending with the guitar solo and Edge's vocals is just INSANE. 10. I love it.

i cringe every time i hear the "newborn baby's head lyric", but the slide guitar solo transition into the Edge vocals and then final chorus still sends chills down my spine.

Yes. Though the slide part of the solo doesn't do as much for me as the regular part.

In my humble opinion it was the worst song U2 ever put on an album, (until Stand Up Comedy), everything about it is just boring to me.
Who on Earth decided to put it second on the album needs their head examining as it destroys the energy built up from Vertigo.

"Beautiful day" and "With or without you" collide on an ice rink making the single entity which rises from the wreckage something reminiscent of both but not nearly as good as either. Pleasant...but not terribly special. 7.

Has waned for me a bit, as has some other songs on the album but grabbed me at the time. I also found it very emotional live with the simple but effective heart rate visuals. Found the story behind the song incredibly moving and (although this doesn't always happen) fed in and gave even more beauty to the song. Especially loved the intense last minute of the song.

A solid 8 for me.

Call me a soft, trite old git (or worse) but the baby's head line has and does get me, carrying my 9 month daughter with her soft baby hair nad head under my nose every day does daft things to a man i guess. I also like the fact that Bono does not always have to appear cool or clever in his lyrics, clumsiness and heart on sleeve can sometimes be very beautiful, if not overdone to an extent to render it meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom