Rate the Song: Miami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2 wrote Miami

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin voting on the second half of Pop.

Please rate Miami on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

6... not my least favorite U2 song by a LONG SHOT. I think this song really does add something to the overall album, but on it's own it's fairly weak. I remember this being quite a headscratcher at the Popmart show I attended in Columbus.

I love the lyrics, I think Bono was really on form lyrics wise on Pop. The live version was a lot better.
Live gets a 10 but I'm scoring these on the studio cuts.

Unlistenable. I won't give any U2 song a 0, but this is the one that would come the closest. Makes J. Swallow and Drunk Chicken sound like Mozart. Quite possibly U2's worst song.

If there's any doubt as to why U2 has essentially disowned this record, just listen to Miami. 1.

6 for the album version, but the live one is a 9.

This song has grown too much on me - I used to hate it. Now, in my opinion, Miami is a standout on Pop. Love the guitar and Bono's vocals. Really good to listen to when landing at Miami International. 8. :wink:

Oh, and live version is miles better.

Not sure what to make of this one. I've never really liked it that much since the lyrics are shit, but it is kind of, maybe sorta, listenable :crack:. 2.

U2 wrote Miami
:lol:

the number of votes on this one is quite possibly the most painful I've seen yet.

The lyrics are cool, except indeed the My Mammy. Larry and Adam create a cool groove but Edge's riff is a let down. The song should really take off when the guitar kicks in but it doesn't. 6

This song has grown too much on me - I used to hate it. Now, in my opinion, Miami is a standout on Pop. Love the guitar and Bono's vocals. Really good to listen to when landing at Miami International. 8. :wink:

Same here, cept my rating's a little lower, but it has definitely grown on me a ton. Very listenable for me now.

Oh, and live version is miles better.

:up: x's 100000

Opening night from Vegas is my fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj_EqKn73LU

sup other ten voters - wait.
unwanted.gif

I'm gonna refrain from voting on this one because I don't have enough exposure to the song to have a strong opinion.

I just listened to it for the first time in about 10 years, and it's not as bad as I remembered. There are some lyrical gems:
Her eyes all swimming pool blue
Dumb bells on a diving board
Baby's always attracted to the things she's afraid of
Big girl with the sweet tooth
Watches the skinny girl in the photo shoot
Freshmen squeaky clean
She tastes of chlorine

That's pretty great. Then, there are some clunkers:
You know some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
Miami

Ugghh!!

Anyway, it's not bad, but I have no idea what the hell I would rate it, so I won't.

6. It's an enjoyable song, but I have to be in the right mood for it. Sometimes I really hate it, other times I love shouting along with it.

Digitize gets bonus points for the poll title.

That's pretty great. Then, there are some clunkers:
You know some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
Miami

Ugghh!!

i love that line!! it cracks me up, i think it's genius, don't know why but i just do!! :lol:

i love the crazy talk on Pop, just has such a great flow to it, makes it unique... never bettered...

Haters gonna hate.

I love that the band actually went there. Lyrically, a great little cinematic postcard. Musically, I love the Jane's Addiction-esque "ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba" refrain, and then "here comes the car chase" followed by that dirty Edge part. SO GOOD. Also you have Larry's homage to When The Levee Breaks when the song kicks in.

Such a great, grimy atmosphere here. I don't understand why people won't let the band explore these musical corners and have a little fun.

Fuck off.

photo_brownim_bono.jpg

lazarus said:
Haters gonna hate.

I love that the band actually went there. Lyrically, a great little cinematic postcard. Musically, I love the Jane's Addiction-esque "ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba" refrain, and then "here comes the car chase" followed by that dirty Edge part. SO GOOD. Also you have Larry's homage to When The Levee Breaks when the song kicks in.

Such a great, grimy atmosphere here. I don't understand why people won't let the band explore these musical corners and have a little fun.

Fuck off.

I generally agree with this. Plus the live version rocks!

Back
Top Bottom