Rate the Song: Levitate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Levitate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
It is the very last stretch of this competition. Today, we begin voting on the first of three (planned) rounds of 2000s non-album songs. The list I am looking at right now is:

Stateless
Summer Rain
Always
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Smile
Flower Child
Big Girls are Best
Electrical Storm
The Hands That Built America
Native Son
Xanax and Wine
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Window in the Skies
Soon
Winter
Mercy

That is seventeen songs. If I missed anything, please let me know. Also, remember that The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fast Cars, and No Line On The Horizon 2 are all considered 2000s non-album songs, but have had their rounds earlier. Today we will vote on the first six songs, Stateless through Smile.

Please rate Levitate on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKYRtONpwJY

It's an appropriately titled, fun and breezy ride with some nice musical surprises along the way. At the same time it's actually a surprisingly well crafted, well produced song and it sounds like they even put some thought and effort into this one. A nice rhythm and it stays interesting throughout, which is more than you can say about the other non-album stuff they were putting out at the time.

I don't listen to it that much, but I like it.

oh i really love this one - i love the energy of it - and B-man isn't screeching with it, like he did on most of the uptempo parts of NLOTH

you know, it's decent, but why does that friggen' "new born baby's head" lyric have to be in not 1, but 2 U2 songs? it's like a bad joke that won't go away. hell, they might as well include that lyric in their next album. fuck! :angry:

you know, it's decent, but why does that friggen' "new born baby's head" lyric have to be in not 1, but 2 U2 songs? it's like a bad joke that won't go away. hell, they might as well include that lyric in their next album. fuck! :angry:

If this lyric shows up next album, I am going to kill you for making the suggestion. :wink:

If this lyric shows up next album, I am going to kill you for making the suggestion. :wink:

:lmao:

This song is great, lots of energy! The middle is awesome when Larry explodes with that mini drum solo. 'Let go of control...' genius. 9.

I accidentally rated this a 7, and it need to be changed.

My guess is that Bono was trying to insert the "newborn baby's head" lyrics into some song that made an album, hence why it showed up on an album release and an "unreleased" track. Not uncommon for lines to be recycled within any band's repertoire either. Heck, Coldplay used referenced the "teardrop is a waterful lyric" in two songs on the SAME album, haha.

And while on the subject of U2 recycling lines, how about the line "the more you ___, the less you ___"? City of Blinding Lights and Last Night on Earth, anyone? Since they seem to take a one-album break on using that line since Pop, maybe they're due to have that one make a reappearance!

7 years ago i would have given this a 10. thought it was one of the best U2 tracks I'd ever heard but nowadays it's a good 7/8 for me - very interesting to wonder what kind of album would have emerged if they'd stuck with this kind of approach.

Bono clearly wanted that newborn baby's head line to work with something though didn't he? I'm not sure I agree that it worked better when he finally used it for Miracle Drug though as it's a pretty stupid line by his standards.

Back
Top Bottom