Rate the Song: If You Wear That Velvet Dress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IYWTVD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today we shall begin voting on the second half of Pop.

Please rate If You Wear That Velvet Dress on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

6... low point for me. However, the guitar solo in the middle 8 is probably my favorite section on the whole album, so it's hard to figure this one out.

The intro to this song is sex on a stick.

Didn't care for it live - Bono singing the whole thing in his usual range as opposed to an octave lower on the album turned it into something rather ordinary. The mood didn't translate live, and that meant for me the song didn't work live at all. (although I liked the transition from Discotheque into the song)

Hmm, for a song as sexy as this is in many ways, it's still a bit boring. The live version really sucks though. Still, it does have it's charms

Beautiful. Listening to this song in a dark room is a unique experience when it comes to U2. 9

The Bono/Jools Holland swing version is also pretty good.

My least favorite song on Pop, by all means. It's quite beautiful, and in my opinion, the live version is much better. Just a bit too bland and slow, but still good. Props to Adam for the great bass. 6.

Beautiful. Listening to this song in a dark room is a unique experience when it comes to U2. 9

The Bono/Jools Holland swing version is also pretty good.

Definitely. I love the Jools Holland version, it take the eerie beauty of this song up a notch. 9.

I've handed out one 10 and three 9's already, I never thought about how good this album really was...

U2 are generally bad at doing sexy songs. They can do sex, but not "sexy". There is a lot of foreplay here but it generates very little heat. 5

U2 are generally bad at doing sexy songs. They can do sex, but not "sexy". There is a lot of foreplay here but it generates very little heat. 5

Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Your Blue Room, this one... They were very good at doing this.

Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Your Blue Room, this one... They were very good at doing this.

True dat. I think I even made an argument that So Cruel could be one of those songs on the official site's message board, but someone there said "So Cruel's too SAD to be a sexy song! :(" Kinda funny!

Never really liked the album version, but the Jools Holland version does have some stuff going for it musically.

Love it. Especially Edge's beautiful guitar that comes in later. I've had the great experience of sitting in my bedroom one night, trying hard to sleep, with all the lights off and a bright shining full moon was cutting in through my bedroom window. It was quite literally a "mirrorball that flickered across the hall". It was completely lighting my room up all by itself. So I grabbed my iPod and put Velvet Dress on and had a very cool, sexy moment there. Unfortunately there was no lady in a dress to share the sexy moment with me but I guess there'll be another time. :D

djerdap said:

Don't forget Hawkmoon 269.

They shouldn't try to be sexy anymore though. Oh God now that image is in my head SHIT

I think this is a great song, because it sounds like no other U2 song but still has a nice melody, a lovely arrangement, fat bass, and an awesome vocal. A bit too modest to score a 9 or 10, but I'll give it an 8 -- for its modest place on the record, it's about as good as it can be.

Generally speaking, when Bono invokes the moon in a lyric, it's a good song.

Didn't care for it live - Bono singing the whole thing in his usual range as opposed to an octave lower on the album turned it into something rather ordinary. The mood didn't translate live, and that meant for me the song didn't work live at all. (although I liked the transition from Discotheque into the song)

Oh yeah, pretty much this. Those whispered words, the entire song is pretty much like velvet in your ear. Live they failed to capture that, but oy vey the Jools Holland version! :combust:

the only velvet dress i ever owned was a cheap crushed velour/fake velvet punk mini dress which i wore with DMs and certainly doesn't go with the mood of this song and is more Clash lol so the song confuses me and just makes me go meh really LOL

but it's ok for background music when i'm not paying attention

i give it a 5

eta: oh fuck no i'm wrong! i just remembered i also have a drop-dead gorgeous figure-hugging floor-length black velvet evening dress i've only ever worn a handful of times! it was a tiny size and i didn't eat for a week to get into it - ok that was/is a sexy dress!

so, change my vote to a 7 please :D

Every word of this.

Back
Top Bottom