Rate The Song: Gloria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate The Song: Gloria

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Today, we shall begin rating the first half of October.

Please rate Gloria on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Also, if you have yet to do so, please vote in the still-opened polls for The Ocean, A Day Without Me, Another Time, Another Place, The Electric Co., and Shadows And Tall Trees.

Polls for I Fall Down, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice, and Fire are now open as well.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours. Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate it; I hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Easily my favorite song on October, as well as one of my favorites in the pre-Unforgettable Fire era. Great track from start finish.

It's earliest live versions are just great, though I didn't like how Bono sang it when it was revived for the Vertigo Tour. Either way, I give it a 9.

Easily a 10. Their best song up to this point. I love the arrangement, which features a swirling fade-in and an epic bass solo; it's highly sophisticated and does a great job of building the song up to a frenzy. The outro is just awesome.

Easily a 10. Their best song up to this point. I love the arrangement, which features a swirling fade-in and an epic bass solo; it's highly sophisticated and does a great job of building the song up to a frenzy. The outro is just awesome.
Again, I concur, Costello.

This song really doesn't get enough attention, even though it's the most celebrated October track. It's very unlike any other U2 "hit" in my opinion. The fact that it has a bass solo alone is very un-U2-ish. But it's just a thrilling ride of a track. Lillywhite's production really worked to build-up the final choruses, which are incredibly fab.

A million. OK 10. The song that got me into U2 waaaaaaaay back in the mists of time, hearing that fade in takes me instantly back and hearing that guitar riff :drool: Also best use of random kitchen instruments in a rock song by miles.

Awesome song. It's very addictive and energetic. I'd give it 10 a thousand times over if I could. The bass is spectacular, and it's just a song that you could blast through your stereo at any time.

My favourite of all their early singles and one of the greatest hyms of the 20th century.
Incredibly beautiful and uplifting.
Easy 10.

I for one does not think it's that special, to be honest. I like the main guitar riff and the bassline, but I think the vocals are somewhat cringeworthy (at least on the studio version) and the lyrics not all that great IMO. It's still ok, but not more than 6 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom