Rate the Song: Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A mole digging in a hole

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
The 90s are over! We are almost done with this competition. Today begins the first voting round of the 2000s, as we rate the first half of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Please rate Elevation on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

7. The album version is pretty darn meh, I'd give that a five. But the Tomb raider remix is already better and live it's a party.

Live I'd give it a 9. So much fun in the pit!!!

The album version, yeah, I won't go there....

Solid rocker that can, and did, achieve orbit live. Amazing show opener...those Elevation tour concerts were among the best I've ever seen.

Live it's often a 10, the album version is probably an 8, but today I'll give it 9.

Tomb raider mix is certainly better, live as well. The songs good fun, but it doesn't really do it for me.

Just a very bland rocker. Lyrically, Bono not so much phones it in, he texts it. Atrocious. I don't know what Edge is trying to accomplish with that grunting fuzz, but it is the most irritating noise that has ever sprung forth from his fretboard. Zero

Fuckin great rocker live (especially if you're in GA). Studio version is a complete meh. Tasteless studio version. I love the Elevation tour versions with Bono kinda doing that cheesy rap over the end. Also love the Influx Mix just as much, if not more, as the album version.

The album version is ugly. A very generous 5 for that, I'm honestly considering 4. The guitar doesn't kick; hell, just about every instrument feels glossy and weak. The lyrics are horrible. But it has a tremendous hook, and live it really rocks. I would probably give that a 9. Influx Mix is enjoyable too.

A MOLE!

DIGGING IN A HOLE!

I can't roll my eyes any further into the back of my head lest they pop out and start sliding across the carpet.

How can you go - in 5 years - from stuff like Your Blue Room, Slug, Please, Gone to Elevation?

I'd say i prefer mature, interesting music. Basically, this "song" is the opposite of what i enjoy in music.

Album version = 7
Live version = 10+

I never liked the album version, but wow, Elevation is just so different live. Definitely more of a rock anthem, gets the crowd jumping like mad. I love it.

Still a great song with cheesy lyrics. 7.

Yes, Edge rescued it from disposability, live. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's cheese on a stick.

Still, a nice tune, so I'll give it a 5.

Loved it when I was 13 when it came out and was with Tomb Raider. It's cheesy, but I still love it. And gets everyone up and involved live.

One of the very few U2 songs I sometimes skip. Boring on the album, which is bad news for a rocker, and whilst it is a lot better live there's a million other songs/rockers I'd rather hear.

Liked it at first few listens, but gets worse everytime I hear it. Poor. 5.

Ah god. This song live. Makes me want to cry because I miss 360 so much.

SO much fun live, none of you can deny that.

:up: I agree 100% - Elevation was just amazingly fun live. Seeing the whole crowd go crazy was one of my highlights of the 360 show I attended.

:up: I agree 100% - Elevation was just amazingly fun live. Seeing the whole crowd go crazy was one of my highlights of the 360 show I attended.

Elevation and City of Blinding Lights. I go NUTS when Elevation comes on... it's just such an exciting moment in the show. And City of Blinding lights was a song I never appreciated until I saw it live. Still gives me chills to watch it over again. Just an amazing crowd moment, especially from the front row twice. To turn around and just see everyone around you going through the motions... Just the most magical thing I ever did see. To feel connected to so many people like that... I didn't feel like I deserved to live in a moment that perfect.

Back
Top Bottom