Rate the Song: Always Forever Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AFN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Let's move on forward to rating the first half of Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1.

Please rate Always Forever Now on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

The song has some very good features, but doesn't really do it for me as much as the rest of this incredible album.

9...massively underrated, one of the finest beats Larry and Adam have ever come up with. Adam in particular is awesome on this song.

This last spring I was walking through the streets of Tokyo with my iPod on shuffle, and this came on. The streets were packed with people, and I was hurrying to get to an appointment. Almost at the exact moment the drums kick in, it started raining. People brought op their umbrellas, and all of a sudden the sky was opening. I almost ran through the streets with this incredible beat in me ears, and I had a moment of euphoria, looking around at the strange, wonderful architecture that is Tokyo, feeling so happy and content of where I was in my life. A classic "U2 and me"-moment. Ever since, the song has been pure Tokyo to me. Such a wonderful song. I give it a 9.

This last spring I was walking through the streets of Tokyo with my iPod on shuffle, and this came on. The streets were packed with people, and I was hurrying to get to an appointment. Almost at the exact moment the drums kick in, it started raining. People brought op their umbrellas, and all of a sudden the sky was opening. I almost ran through the streets with this incredible beat in me ears, and I had a moment of euphoria, looking around at the strange, wonderful architecture that is Tokyo, feeling so happy and content of where I was in my life. A classic "U2 and me"-moment. Ever since, the song has been pure Tokyo to me. Such a wonderful song. I give it a 9.

I love moments like that. The headphones and scene around you just striking at the right second!

To me, a standout on Passengers. Amazing. I would expect to hear this in the final minutes of a movie, and I think it was in Heat. Would be so good to play this song as you're walking through a metropolis - like Tokyo, as God Part III said (and experienced). Just a little bit too long. 7.

I love the string synths on the ending of this and how they continue to build up and as the song is ending they wind all the way back down (kinda similar to HMTMKMKM). Also the "always forever" voices add a nice futuristic touch. Perfect up tempo track.

After listening to this one again I liked it more than I remembered. So could you change my vote to an 8 digitize?

an easy 9 for me. superb beat and percussion, love that bass and the atmosphere of it is unlike anything i'd ever heard when i first put the album on. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed listening to OST1 as I went to sleep even with the rising and falling structure of this track, building up to this noisy climax before suddenly stripping it down to just the bass/drums/fluttering synths etc before the vocoder comes in.

Definitely a highlight for me on this album and listening to it again now it also makes me wish they'd go back and do stuff like this again. I genuinely thought they were inching towards some equivalent of OST 2 following NLOTH thanks to the much closer collaboration with Eno/Lanois on that album to the extent that they were equally credited as songwriters.

and as I'm sure I've moaned once or twice before, I reckon U2 (bono in particular) should stop worrying about 'relevance' or making "3 albums" at once...then just head into the studio with Eno/Lanois and work stress-free on another Passengers album to, if anything, recharge U2 without the weight of shifting millions of albums or filling stadiums on their shoulders. :up: then again, what do I know? Who's to say they're not already doing that on the side :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom