Rate the Electrical Storm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Electrical Storm.

• 10 - A perfect U2 song.

Votes: 13 6.3%

Votes: 23 11.2%

Votes: 74 36.1%

Votes: 39 19.0%

Votes: 31 15.1%

Votes: 15 7.3%

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 6 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1. - Bad. Not like the great song, Bad. Just bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Rate the new single, from 1 to 10, with "10" meaning you believe it's among the band's very best work.

For the moment, I would give the song a 7. I hope the song sounds a lot "fuller" when a better quality version makes its way to the airwaves; if it does, that may bump it up a bit.

A few more days' listen might help too.

This may be a song that could be greatly helped by a good video. Imagine, for a moment, U2 on the beach - bolts of lighting behind the Edge and his guitar, and reflecting on Bono's shades. NEAT.

And, honestly, this song would have gotten more my attention had I not already heard Coldplay's new album. There are quite a few songs there (In My Place, The Scientist, Clocks, Daylight...) that are simply brilliant. Once again, A Rush of Blood to the Head is the best album of the year.

Electrical Storm is quite nice - particularly Edge's closing guitar solo. ("Wah, wah, wah.")

But I've heard better from the band, and I've heard better in the last few weeks. How would you rate it?

(And, if you have the time to reply, why did you rate it that way?)

Bubba

Last edited:
I love it, and I've been listening to it all day. BUT...it is not my fave U2 song. I rate it an 8 though.

I gave it a 7.

It's a great listen, and it is making my mouth water even more for the next studio album!

It is a step below Bad, With Or Without You, One, and Walk On though. But you can't expect something THAT good every time.

Nine!!! I really dug it, the song built and grew and swelled up and I just got more and more excited by it. The beginning was kind of cool and moody and then all of the sudden the energy grew and I couldn't help swaying and throwing my arms into the air. Larry's drumming has that great military precision he mastered during "War" and The Edge's guitar -- blues, country and rock all mixed up. I cannot wait for October to come!!!

goin UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 , cause it's a new U2 tune and it's much better and different from this ATYCLB shit , much more closer to UF/Zooropa style , very kool :tongue: :up:

I gave it an 8 cause i thought the music sounds great, though weak at start, and the melody as well, and damn, Bono's voice, wow. But I really think the lyrics need a little work, I feel they get lost in the music, like Bono could be humming the whole song and I wouldn't have felt the difference. Except for this part which is just fecking perfect:

"You're in my mind all of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
There must be some way back
For love and only love"

Oh well great overall, biggest disappointment is realizing that we'll probably never hear this live cause of the vocals being so uhm difficult.

Last edited:
It takes me a while to really get into something new....so far I love it though,I'd give it a 7 at the moment..............

ok its weird but for me a U2 song is either PERFECT, SO-SO, or I DONT LIKE IT.

When I heard this song, I thought, it's PERFECT! SO I rated it a 10 but I rate 80% of U2's songs as a 10. It's just the way I am...thats why I like them so much.

It really has some of Bono's best vocals...the falsetto of the 90s, the howl of the 80s and the melody of the 2000s. The song won me over...

reason number 986 to not like a U2 song

Well after 12th.5th listen I dont like the song.U2 dont have to kiss butt of some radio station to get a hit.I'd loved it better if it wouldn't have that layered middle eight.However I do realise the significance of radio, cause they are the first to announce the electric storms.But still there is no excuse for doing that, what else we can expect COKE promo in middle of best of??

To me it sounds like a demo for a really good song. There's a lot of potential, but right now it's a little flat for me. There's a little bit near the end of the song where the guitar turns into a classic ZooTV moment for about 3 seconds (sounds kind of like the live version of 'Trying To Throw Your Arms..."), but it quickly fades into different guitar. That's really too bad, as I would love to hear the direction it was heading in for that 3 seconds. If the whole song sounded like that, it would've been an amazing tune. In its current state, it sounds very mainstream, and won't stick out at all on the radio. U2 have never really fit right into the vast radio sound before, and I fear -- if this is the version we'll get -- that they will for the first time.

As for the feel of the song, it's all over the place. In some spots it reminds me of 'Staring At The Sun', while in others it reminds me of U2's earlier period (Boy and October), with that xylophone and chorus -- "E-lec-tric-aaaL stORM, E-lec-tric-aaaL stORM..."; and in others, reminds me of many other bands on the radio today.

But, like I said, there is a lot of potential, here. Some cool sounds, great vocals (though I don't like the mix -- who produced this?). There are a couple moments where the guitars and vocals clash, but it certainly bodes well for new material. I can't wait to hear the next album.

Last edited:
I gave it a 9. Yeah, a high score. Considering its place in the grand scheme of things (single from a compilation) this is a great song, much better than the last song in its "position", "Sweetest Thing". It has a strong melody, Bono's vocal is great, I love Edge's guitar work, it's atmospheric.......it reminds me a little bit of UF. It's the kind of song that grows on you. Maybe a recording of a higher quality will make a difference.

I can't believe no one has not mentioned that the tune actually ROCKS; it's not sappy and slow....it's got real power behind it.

and the glochenspeil!!!!! back from the I will follow recording!!!!:up: :shocked:

i know this is a bit harsh, but i'm giving it a 5 right now because as much as i love this band, i think the song could be better. i agree with michael griffiths in that i think it has a lot of potential, but lacks focus. i don't know what it is, but i keep waiting for the song to start, to take off and go to 'places no one else has been,' but it doesnt for me. not yet anyways.
i will probably change my mind as soon as i hear it live though.

Back
Top Bottom