Rascal Flatts new video is like City Of Blinding Lights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I guess... Has no one used light curtains before U2? That's an honest question.

Anyway, forget U2... I like that song, What Hurts The Most.

The light curtains look like U2's but it's hardly a "rip off' off COBL. If anything up untill the last 20 seconds it's a blatant rip off of Wake Me When September Ends by Greenday:laugh: Seriously why did that dude crash his truck. he was on a straight, dry road durrng the day. Worst crash scene ever. And what the hell did her dad have to do with it. Pretty good song, bad, bad video.

Yah I wondered the same thing about the crash, how did he crash??? But yeah, I wouldn't call it a rip off of COBL, if anything it should be flattering.

Uh I don't think the thread maker was claiming U2 was "ripped off" or anything to that effect. Maybe I read the title/post wrong but all I got was that someone was comparing a Rascal Flatts video to U2's because they thought they were similar. :shrug:

uh oh, anti-sheep police on the watch tonight! :uhoh:

:lol: I saw that the other day. Looks to me like the exact same curtains. If you look at the close-ups of them, they appear to have the same design and everything :shrug: That's cool though :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

U2 had this technology specifically designed for this tour.

Exactly.

Hallucination said:
If anything up untill the last 20 seconds it's a blatant rip off of Wake Me When September Ends by Greenday:laugh:

Yes.

U2Girl1978 said:
When is this going to stop? Seriously?

Do you mean blatant imitation, or criticism of blatant imitation? I think the former should definitely stop, but the sameness train seems out of control these days. I'd be ashamed to release this as an original piece of art, or as an expression of my band.

This is nothing unusual in the concert business. Every band out there that's either seen the U2 dvd or gone to a U2 concert probably said "wow we gotta get us one of them!" when they saw the curtain of lights. Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual). But expect to see differing variations on the technology used from now on by other bands. Much like the cool heart-shaped stage was innovated by U2 and began being used in various shapes by other bands. The Petrified Stones really turned on the xerox machine by using an ellipse in their Super Bowl halftime show.. (gee where have we seen that before.. they even put colored lights around the edges).

Everyone copies but only a few innovate.. our band seems to do most of the innovating and I take great pride in that and have since I first saw Zoo TV right up until today. "Island B-stages", creative use of cutting-edge huge video walls, full-elliptical catwalks, video curtains.. and those are just a few major ones.. I'm not even counting the numerous innovations in various forms of high-intensity lighting debuted by U2. U2 has been responsible for a great deal of the innovations that have occured in the concert industry over the past two decades and we as fans should be proud of it, not whine when someone else thinks it's cool and utilizes it.

cypress said:
This is nothing unusual in the concert business. Every band out there that's either seen the U2 dvd or gone to a U2 concert probably said "wow we gotta get us one of them!" when they saw the curtain of lights. Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual). But expect to see differing variations on the technology used from now on by other bands. Much like the cool heart-shaped stage was innovated by U2 and began being used in various shapes by other bands. The Petrified Stones really turned on the xerox machine by using an ellipse in their Super Bowl halftime show.. (gee where have we seen that before.. they even put colored lights around the edges).

Everyone copies but only a few innovate.. our band seems to do most of the innovating and I take great pride in that and have since I first saw Zoo TV right up until today. "Island B-stages", creative use of cutting-edge huge video walls, full-elliptical catwalks, video curtains.. and those are just a few major ones.. I'm not even counting the numerous innovations in various forms of high-intensity lighting debuted by U2. U2 has been responsible for a great deal of the innovations that have occured in the concert industry over the past two decades and we as fans should be proud of it, not whine when someone else thinks it's cool and utilizes it.

:yes:

cypress said:

I agree with everything you said. The light curtains used by Rascal Flats didn't bother me a bit. Useing the same technology as other bands is no big deal, I even thought the Stones stage at the Superbowl was cool even though it reaked of U2's stage. Its'a cool stage design and everytime I go to a concert I find myself thinking why aren't these bands doing what U2 does. As for the video I found it embarssingly similar to Greendays' video Wake Me When September Ends. Had Greenday's been done years ago that'd be fine but it's only been about 6 months and these guys release the exact same video. Too funny. I guess releaseing the exact same video as other artists has been around as long as Hip Hop though.:laugh:

cypress said:
Take pride in the fact that U2 was the first to use it (as usual).

Couldn't agree more , like is something to be really proud of , flattered , I mean imagine if someone starts kind of doing something u do , to me this is like a sign of admiration , not to feel bad about it , or think it's a rip off. This is a reason to be once again proud of u2 , once again why they are so great , and again showing how them are revolutionary in terms of show , they may have not get this point in making albums like beatles , but in terms of live show , dude they are going to be remembered .

J_NP said:

Couldn't agree more , like is something to be really proud of , flattered , I mean imagine if someone starts kind of doing something u do , to me this is like a sign of admiration , not to feel bad about it , or think it's a rip off. This is a reason to be once again proud of u2 , once again why they are so great , and again showing how them are revolutionary in terms of show , they may have not get this point in making albums like beatles , but in terms of live show , dude they are going to be remembered .

yeah but they do make albums like the Beatles. Even better actually:ohmy: :wink:

Hallucination said:

yeah but they do make albums like the Beatles. Even better actually:ohmy: :wink:

Dude I couldn't agree more , but I'm pretty too scared to say things like that :wink: Before people burn me alive or something like this , or another but this one is a very strong true , sorry fans of george harrison , but he doesn't compate to edge :reject: I would kind like to see his face if he heard edge's intro of the fly in brazil for example .

Last edited:
Good lord that song was shite. The song AND the video both contained the heavy-handed "HEY LOOK AT ME WE'RE BEING DRAMATIC PLEASE CRY!" drama that completely turns me off to country/country-pop.

Rascal Flats?
There's a thread involving Rascal Flats?

They sound like the frigging Chipmunks, not to take anything away from Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. The 'country' equals to the Baskstreet Boys.

Back
Top Bottom