Rare U2 video footage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not talking about stuff that has been on MTV specials and video compilations or things like that, but there must be some things that people have seen on TV from time to time by U2 and gone "eh... haven't seen THAT before!"

Of course, a lot depends on what country you're from.

The two strangest ones I think I have ever seen were:

* When Love Comes To Town from Zoo TV American indoor leg (by the looks of it), which was on VH1 in the UK the other week

* Ultraviolet, which was on a Channel 4 (UK) show years ago to do with love or something. It was taken from the Zooropa concerts with Bono in his full Macphisto get-up

any more strange ones people?

Damn it I want to see these!

It sort of surprised me that on the Spotlight on U2 on Muchmusic this evening they showed 11 O'Clock Tic Toc (that's how they spelled it) live from red rocks.. but it's nothing to write home about as they say.

Ultraviolet was a long time ago, talking about seven years ago. I guess it must have been from the Dublin Zooropa show in 1993. If so, where's the rest of this show on video?!

I'd like to see some of the Rattle and Hum outtake footage.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

The Rattle And Hum stuff is out there. I have 3 volumes of it (supposedly there are 5). Some of it is pretty cool and some of it is just plan boring. I would say the most interesting and intrusive moment is riding in Bono's limo to the hospital after he separated his shoulder on stage. You almost feel like you shouldnt be watching. The coolest thing on there IMO is the duet of Stand By Me with Bruce Springsteen in Philadelphia.

Hey Blue Room.. how much concert stuff is there on the 3 volumes you have?

The whole Syracuse 1987 show is there. Perhaps the single biggest U2 dissapointment for me is that they don't release that show on DVD or even VHS. It has its flaws, but it also has the whole "Red Rocks" type vibe to it as well. Just a whole U2 show, in front of a big crowd. Shot on video - not film.

The Tempe stuff that was used in the film is great, but doesn't give the same vibe.

Does anyone else remember the ZooTV special that aired in America around 92-93? I was 12 years old at the time so it's kind of hard to remember(wish I would have taped it).

I do remember them showing the George Bush rap.

I don't remember what network aired it either. But it was an hour program.

The making of the All I Want is You video seemed rare.

There's also a video of the recording of 'One' in the studio hidden on the official website. Propaganda said it shows how the song came together. I've never been able to find it though.

------------------
Pictures in grey...

That was a great special. Lots of Outdoor Broadcast performances, and the Mirrorball man of course. I always liked that version of Desire.

Anyone else remember a show about the "Highlights of 1993" that featured an interview with Bono amongst others? He says some of the coolest things on that one. They also had some clips from the Wembley shows and the Sarajevo uplinks.

Thank god for the VCR, eh?

Originally posted by the olive:
That was a great special. Lots of Outdoor Broadcast performances, and the Mirrorball man of course. I always liked that version of Desire.

Anyone else remember a show about the "Highlights of 1993" that featured an interview with Bono amongst others? He says some of the coolest things on that one. They also had some clips from the Wembley shows and the Sarajevo uplinks.

Thank god for the VCR, eh?

Oh yeah! I remember them showing the Mirrorball man! My parents were pissed when Bono yelled "you're fuckin beautiful"! LOL

I saw a clip of Bono and Edge being interviewed on Tom Snyder's show from around 1981 last week when NBC aired a "50 Years Of Late Night Television" special. I'd seen a clip of them playing I Will Follow where Bono goes into the audience, but I had never seen the interview before.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 10-01-2001).]

This isn't rare, but there are VHS copies of the full Popmart Las Vegas and Popmart Edmonton shows out there. They were filmed using the actual Popmart cameras and the sound is good too.

Originally posted by ultraviolet_j:
This isn't rare, but there are VHS copies of the full Popmart Las Vegas and Popmart Edmonton shows out there. They were filmed using the actual Popmart cameras and the sound is good too.

I want it!

BULLET BULLET!!!!

The C4 showin, DID it include this belly-dancer screaming????????

Also it was a night Bez was on stage completely fuked up while dancing with Shane Twain and the Hippy Stones, or whatever they were called, they sang 'Step On'.......excellent song like!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

How about the MTV live footage of Until The End Of the World. That's pretty rare. Dana Carvey(Playing Garth) was hosting the MTV awards and he played the drums while U2 played the song live in concert. I used to have it on video, but the tape ripped. Damn VHS technology!

I can't wait for the DVD writable technology to come out. I could have taped the one hour live interview they had here in Canada on MuchMusic, but I refuse to use the cavemanic VHS tapes to record these things.

oh well.

Nothing more rare than U2 "Outside Its America" shown on MTV just once in 1987 pre-Rattle and Hum footage of U2 in New Mexico, Arizona and Las Vegas. Had the video for Spanish Eyes, filmed in El Paso, where I lived at the time. Shows Bono buyin a cowboy hat and Edge & Larry picking out funky cowboy boots. There's also the impromptu "Enchilada Song" that Bono sings on the Plane. Of course I have a copy of it!

------------------
Jara sang his song a WEAPON!

Originally posted by mad1:
she called me gullah.............
suru.gif

*maddie goes off to cuddle up with herself in bed*

i worry about you... not being able to tell the difference between a man and a woman!

Originally posted by Seconds:
How about the MTV live footage of Until The End Of the World. That's pretty rare. Dana Carvey(Playing Garth) was hosting the MTV awards and he played the drums while U2 played the song live in concert. I used to have it on video, but the tape ripped. Damn VHS technology!

I think you'll find they played EBTTRT and I have that one on tape
smile.gif

I guess quite a few Europeans here will have a few songs of the Popmart in Rotterdam 1997 gig on video too.

Originally posted by ultraviolet_j:
This isn't rare, but there are VHS copies of the full Popmart Las Vegas

This one's a must for Adam fans.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Jara's Song:
Nothing more rare than U2 "Outside Its America" shown on MTV just once in 1987 pre-Rattle and Hum footage of U2 in New Mexico, Arizona and Las Vegas. Had the video for Spanish Eyes, filmed in El Paso, where I lived at the time. Shows Bono buyin a cowboy hat and Edge & Larry picking out funky cowboy boots. There's also the impromptu "Enchilada Song" that Bono sings on the Plane. Of course I have a copy of it!

I too have a copy of this. Very cool indeed! It also has what appears to be a "bootleg" of the Joshua Tree Tour in Paris, France. I question whether or not it's a bootleg due to the fact that it is shot on-stage. Either a really poor quality tour-tape, or a bust bootleg with a great view are my guesses. This concert is very interesting. Some may know more about this: While the band plays With or Without You, some fool throws a tear-gas canister on the stage. Bono doesn't really get mad, but he does say something like, "I thought there was already enough crying with this song". Interesting. I'm going to look for its date. Anyone know anything else about this show?

It's not exactly rare, but I had forgotten all about Garth (from "Wayne's World") playing the drums on "Even Better Than the Real Thing" on the VMA during ZOOTV until I saw it over the weekend on VH1's "Duets" show. I laughed out loud and managed to get it on tape this time. They also showed Bono and Frank.

Actually there is video of the first 4 songs from the Outside Broadcast show where the did the Garth duet (I witnessed this show in person) and audio on the video tape for 4 more songs.

I also have a pro shot video of the first two songs from Ames IA Outside Broadcast (another show I was at).

Back
Top Bottom