Rare and unreleased: why lossy music and why no seperate purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beau2ifulday said:
I'm interested in who would have initially proposed the boxset be sold like this - would it have been Universal Records/Interscope, Principle Management, Apple or the boys themselves?

I would say Apple pitched the idea or it was a U2 request in the contract.

This wasnt done without the bands approval, I do doubt though that U2 know the exact details (i.e the unreleased only going to purchasers of the whole set).

and yes tons of artists have released exclusives on I-tunes before and you know what? EVERYTHING has come out illegally shortly thereafter.

Keep in mind there are a lot of "mass production" pirates out there who set it up where you can download a gig of music in one fail swoop. There is a LOT of music in this set and just converting it alone takes time.

Give it a day or two longer and watch bittorrent sites like Suprnova, this fucker will be all over the place illegally.

And for the person that says "downloading hurts the band" fuck that. I own EVERYTHING in this set except for 12 goddamn tracks. I'm sure they wont notice the loss.

Ha! This is funny. I remember buying bootlegs in the early 90's for $35-$50 per double disc set. You'd get some terrible quality stuff, and some good stuff, but all in all it was a crap shoot. You bought them, because it was the only way to hear it. Times change. For the price of 3 or 4 of those crappy concerts, I could buy this whole set: 3 concerts, all the early singles and b-sides, 10 new tunes, every single version, all the later b-sides. Yet I'll wait to steal them, thanks to the internet.

My only problem with it is that by doing this U2 are excluding a large part of their fanbase from being able to purchase it. Many countries dont have access and there are still alot of people on dial up and downloading on dial up is not an option.

Its going to be a similiar problem if they offer downloads only for their concerts next year. Whats the point of putting a show for download that took place in Poland when the fans that went to the show in Poland dont have access to the download??? Its kind of ridiculous. Hopefully they will go the Metallica route and offer several options to purchase. I'm still hopeful that eventually they will put the unreleased tracks on a CD down the road.

Bottom line is that its cool they put these demos and outtakes out there. They just need to make them more accessable to their fans.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Bottom line is that its cool they put these demos and outtakes out there. They just need to make them more accessable to their fans.

Thank you for putting in two sentences what I meant with my opening posting.

Some people need to read before writing things as "people will always complain blabla." The point is that if I want to pay U2 for the outtakes, I have to buy (lossy!) music which I already have paid for in the past so in which I'm not interested.
Now I just have to wait for the files to pop up somewhere illegally. Not my problem, but please don't complain if I get these files illegally. When they become accessable for me in the future, I'll pay for them.

So if you want non lossy music why don't you complain FIRST to your cable /DSL company about getting a bigger pipe to your house so they can feed you the 700-800 bit rate non lossy & you can quadruple the time to download.

& if you do decide to steal music it's because you've never created anything of artisitic value be4 so you've never encountered theft...or you have real self control issues.

All of which, from the looks of thing...you've haven't quite budgeted for.

After this then we'll talk. Otherwise...

Last edited:
caylan said:
So if you want non lossy music why don't you complain FIRST to your cable /DSL company about getting a bigger pipe to your house so they can feed you the 700-800 bit rate non lossy & you can quadruple the time to download.

Some of us download plenty of lossless files already. At least give us the CHOICE.

bonosleftone said:

Give it a day or two longer and watch bittorrent sites like Suprnova, this fucker will be all over the place illegally.

And for the person that says "downloading hurts the band" fuck that. I own EVERYTHING in this set except for 12 goddamn tracks. I'm sure they wont notice the loss.

Absolutely agree with you on this. If they treated their fans fair then there would be no need for fans to illegally download.

Shono said:
For a U2 fan living in Canada....where do I go to get my U2 iPod?

I understand that if I wanted to obtain some of these rare, unreleased or alternate version tracks I can go to the imusic store. It is sounding like some of them are "album" only tracks.

Any advice?:shrug:

Its pointless anyway for us in Canada. We cant access the itunes music store. Well we can access but we cant download. I have the U2 ipod but cant buy the complete U2.

caylan said:

& if you do decide to steal music it's because you've never created anything of artisitic value be4 so you've never encountered theft...or you have real self control issues.

All of which, from the looks of thing...you've haven't quite budgeted for.

After this then we'll talk. Otherwise...

LOL this is hilarious... or sad...

Anyway, I really would like to pay U2 for the rare and unreleased tracks. But no way I'm gonna pay 150 bucks for them. Just give me the standard 99cent option and I will gladly pay the band for their hard work.

Uh, hu, so you actually have to pay for U2s music now, poor you.
What do you expect, that all of U2s music should be free to download from Interference and other sites? We're all taking advantage og the net and would download everything, most notably The Bomb two weeks before its release. So what do U2 do? They try to make their music more accessible through iTunes, its their music afterall and should get paid.

I just don't think people should complain considering the amount of stuff we've downloaded that the band won't be compensated for.

JulioArca said:
Uh, hu, so you actually have to pay for U2s music now, poor you.
What do you expect, that all of U2s music should be free to download from Interference and other sites? We're all taking advantage og the net and would download everything, most notably The Bomb two weeks before its release. So what do U2 do? They try to make their music more accessible through iTunes, its their music afterall and should get paid.

I just don't think people should complain considering the amount of stuff we've downloaded that the band won't be compensated for.

:scratch:

I read through this whole thread again and I really dont see where people are demanding this stuff be free??? People are complaining because A.) there are only 12 songs they dont have and they dont want to pay $150 for 12 songs. OR B.) Dont have access to the download period because of where they live or cant afford a $350 Ipod or are on a dial up modem and couldnt download even if they had the other two items.

I think just about all of us here would purchase a 2 disc or even one disc set of the unreleased stuff for around $25 to $30 with no problem (and even that would be expensive). But we cant do that obviously and that is what people dont like. No one is asking for a hand out here.

How is this demanding everything for free anyway?? Also, I have never downloaded official material. I have purchased all of their official releases. I think most here have (which is ALSO indicated by most on this thread). Downloading has typically occurred with bootleg which you obviously cant purchase either (at least not legally). Personally I dont download, I dont like Mp3 quality material. You are kind of insinuating that all of us here just download all of their material for free. Thats simply not the case.

I'm not calling you out or anything. I just think you missed the point of what most people on this thread are trying to convey.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:scratch:

I read through this whole thread again and I really dont see where people are demanding this stuff be free??? People are complaining because A.) there are only 12 songs they dont have and they dont want to pay $150 for 12 songs. OR B.) Dont have access to the download period because of where they live or cant afford a $350 Ipod or are on a dial up modem and couldnt download even if they had the other two items.

I think just about all of us here would purchase a 2 disc or even one disc set of the unreleased stuff for around $25 to $30 with no problem (and even that would be expensive). But we cant do that obviously and that is what people dont like. No one is asking for a hand out here.

How is this demanding everything for free anyway?? Also, I have never downloaded official material. I have purchased all of their official releases. I think most here have (which is ALSO indicated by most on this thread). Downloading has typically occurred with bootleg which you obviously cant purchase either (at least not legally). Personally I dont download, I dont like Mp3 quality material. You are kind of insinuating that all of us here just download all of their material for free. Thats simply not the case.

I'm not calling you out or anything. I just think you missed the point of what most people on this thread are trying to convey.

Hmmm, I think you are right...

I guess I didn't read the thread properly, I was in a bad mood and in a hurry and it seemed like a good place for a rant... :wink:

As I read it again now I realised that I agree with a lot of you and I

Back
Top Bottom