Ranking the HTDAAB songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
I did this for the Trews's album...so here it is for HTDAAB.

Rank 'em based on first listen and let us know why it is where it is.

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
The first and only U2 song to ever make me actually cry. All I could think about was my grandfather the whole time and I had to pull the car over until the song ended.

2. Miracle Drug
Everything I thought it would be from the leak. Put me into a complete stupor on the first listen and welled me up before the floodgates burst on SYCMIOYO. That slide solo is incredible.

3. Love and Peace or Else
Awesome, crushing song. I cranked the stereo and was banging on the steering wheel of my car when this bad boy came on. Constantly yelling "fuck yeah!!"

4. A Man and A Woman
This is a damn sexy song. Adam was right when he said that women would love this one. I love it too. I might play this one for a lady sometime. This song recalls a couple of b-sides: Always (this song even takes a line right from Always) and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

5. All Because of You
Love the double-tracked vocals. But what really owns this song is the kick-balls solo. Where the hell did Edge bring that out of? Best solo since The Fly/UTEOTW.

6. City of Blinding Lights
We knew this was a good one from the leaks. It's a great song, but it seems to lack that punch that would make it unforgettable.

7. Crumbs From Your Table
What were the reviewers thinking when they said this was a weak song? I love this one...great message and a great melody line. Reminds me a lot of Walk On.

8. Yahweh
The best closer to an album since Love is Blindness. It seems like a cross between 40 and Heartland. :up:

9. Vertigo
A bloody good song, but should NOT have been the album's first single when compared to other ones here. The guitar riff is a beast though!

10. Original of the Species
Got some great lyrics, and I like the strings, but it hasn't really stuck with me so far.

11. One Step Closer
It's a bit forgettable, unfortunately. I do enjoy it though, it gives me a bit of an Unforgettable Fire vibe. I think this would have been better as an album closer or something like that.

:D

This is the best album since AB, by far for me. 9 out of 10.

It's still better than anything else anyone else is doing right now though.

Anyways, other people definitely need to get in on this too!

:D

1. miracle drug
1. yahweh
1. original of the species
2. sometimes...
3. crumbs from your table
4. love and peace or else
5. one step closer
6. vertigo
7. city of blinding lights
8. all because of you
9. a man and a woman

i love them all, this album is amazing- this is how they sit with me right now. everyone is intitled to their own opinion- i think one step closer is awesome.

I can't. It's too soon. I try, and I can't.
I think OOTS is probably my favorite, along with maybe COBL, ABOY, and LAPOE. The rest are all somewhere at the same level for me right now. ALl too good to rank. I will say, however, that I do prefer One Step Closer to Miracle Drug, as unpopular as that sentiment is. :shrug:

I'm not going to make another list, but I have to say 'One Step Closer' is one of the best songs on the album. This will become more obvious as time goes on. Let it sink in first.

Miracle Drug
Love and Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
One Step Closer
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Original of the Species
Vertigo
All Because Of You
Yahweh
A Man and A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table

1) Original of the Species
2) Yahweh
3) City of Blinding Lights
4) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5) All Because Of You
6) Crumbs From Your Table
7) Miracle Drug
8) Vertigo
9) A Man and A Woman
10) One Step Closer
11) Love & Peace or Else

Well, since i don't have anything but vertigo and i am desperate for it, i think i am going to leave my address all over the places (no one is replying anymore in the requests thread).

Please drop the bomb (except vertigo) in:

rgirao@mail.telepac.pt

thank you so much

Ok, My state of paranoia have passed.

Here's the real rating

1) Crumbs :wink:
2) SYCMIOYO
3)Yahweh
4)Miracle Drug
5) LPOE
6) COBL
7)ÃBOY
8)Vertigo
9)AMAAW
10)One Step Closer (OH, I love this one but the other ones are even better)
11)Original of the Species. (Ok, that's the song I won't be listening in this album so frequently. I'll always skip it for now. I know, I understand and I love that fact the U2 have done Beattle even better than Beattle themselves. But I really don't like the song. Well the chorus is amazing... ok I don't hate the song... I't my least favorite song. I'll give it an 7.8/10 :wink: )

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm not going to make another list, but I have to say 'One Step Closer' is one of the best songs on the album. This will become more obvious as time goes on. Let it sink in first.

I agree.

1. Miracle Drug
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3. City Of Blinding Lights
4. Original Of The Species
5. All Because Of You
6. Vertigo
7. Crumbs From Your Table
8. Love And Peace Or Else
9. Yahweh
10. A Man And A Woman
11. One Step Closer

man and woman is a good song but is up there for me with the Corrs.
sorry not to hate but not a song I will play often.

the rest of the album great!

TOP SONGS;

Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make it on your Own.
Original of the Species
City of Blinding Lights
Love Peace or Else.

sorry thats based on one listen.

let me get back to burning it out a bit.

alex

1) Original Of The Species - 10/10
2) City of Blinding Lights - 10/10
3) Miracle Drug - 10/10
4) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 9/10
5) Love And Peace Or Else - 9/10
6) All Because Of You - 8/10
7) Vertigo - 8/10
8) Crumbs From Your Table - 8/10
9) Yaweh - 7/10
10) One Step Closer - 7/10
11) A Man And a Woman - 7/10

This was much more difficult than I would have thought. Seeing AMAAW at the bottom of the list hurts, because I actually really like the song, but I felt the same way no matter how I tried to order it. This is truly proof to me that there are no weak songs.

Also, I think it's very cool how diverse our rankings are. That really says a lot about the quality and strength of every track that composes HTDAAB. I really don't even think our track rankings for JT or AB would be quite so diverse.

Last edited:
1. Original of the Species
2. All Because of You
3. Yahweh
4. One Step Closer
5. Sometimes
6. Love and Peace
7. Vertigo
8. Miracle Drug
9. City of Blinding Lights
10. Man and a Woman
11. Crumbs from the Album (er, table)

1. Miracle Drug
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. Original of the Species
4. Sometimes....
5. Yaweh
6. All Because of You
7. Crumbs from your Table
8. Love Peace or Else
9. Vertigo
10.One Step Closer
11.Man and a Woman

I love all the songs though.

1. A man and a woman (yep, I love it that much)
2. Miracle Drug
3. Crumbs from your table
4. Sometimes
5. All Because of you
6. Yahweh
7. Original of the spieces
8. City of blinding lights
9. LPOE
10. One step closer
11. Vertigo (bottom, purely because I found 10 NEW songs to listen before it)

1. Original of the Species
Emotional but breaks new grounds concerning U2 emotion songs. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is trying to be One, this one is much better - and "Baby come on - show your soul!" is one of the greatest moment in any U2 ever.

2. City of Blinding Lights
I like it better than Where The Streets Have No Name. The minute between the first verse and the first chorus "I'm getting ready to leave the ground..." Is so amazing. Top 10 ever U2 to me.

3. All Because of You
Oh my. This is the rocker of the album, the beast - the tune. I love it. It's not big emotion, but it's incredibly catchy and just a great rocker. And Edge owns it.

4. Love and Peace or Else
Last song about peace was Peace On Earth.
Too slow, not very exciting. This is a monster, and it reminds me of Pop. It's so hard, so incredibly loud. I love it.

5. Vertigo
Why do you all underrate this? No other song could've been the first single. Compare it to Beautiful Day and it might not be as good - but much more heavy, much more catchy, and it's a great opener. FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!

6. Crumbs From Your Table
It took me time, but I've grown to love it. The lyrics remind me of So Cruel, but the theme is taken to a new level by the pace and feel of the song. It's a great song. Incredible.

7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Great. Very downbeat, and there aren't many tracks like this on the album, let alone all U2 have done. It's great. But if it hadn't been for Edge shaking things up a bit after the second verse, the song couldn't stand alone.

8. A Man and A Woman
Reminds me of Staring At The Sun. "She was already mine, you were already mine" sounds brilliant, great singing by Edge, and I love that each verse starts out with "Little sister."
Great song, which has now begun to grow on me quite a bit. I get the feeling it will rise.

8. Miracle Drug
It doesn't cut it for me. It's good, but it pales so much compared to the rest.

10. One Step Closer
Well, slow, not very evolving... I like it, first time I heard it I hated it but it's changed. It's OK.

11. Yahweh
I hate the chorus. "Yahweh yahweh yahweh."
Not very inspiring. Great lyrics though.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
1)Crumbs
2)Crumbs
3)Crumbs
4)Crumbs
5)Crumbs
6)Crumbs
7)Crumbs
8)Crumbs
9)Crumbs
10)Crumbs
11)Crumbs
12) Crum... ups there is no 12 track

LOL :laugh:

This is how i rank the songs! Sometimes ranks in the top 3 because of the 3 minute point! That is just awsome! MD ranks number 1 I love this song and aboy is up there too in number 2! Yehweh has great guitars but for some reason its not clicking on me! Hopefully its a grower!

Miracle drug 10/10
All becouse of you 10/10
Somtimes you can't make it on your own 9/10
Crumbs from your table 9/10
City of blinding lights 9/10
A man, a women 8/10
Love peace or else 8/10
Original of the species 8/10
Vertigo 7/10
Are you ganna wait forever (B-side) 7/10
One step closer 7/10
Yehweh 6/10
Fast Cars ?

Nico

1) Crumbs 99/100
2) Vertigo 90/100
3) COBL 90/100
4) Miracle Drug 85/100
5) ABOY 85/100
6) SYCMIOYO 82/100
7) OOTS 80/100
8) LAPOE 75/100
9) Yahweh 72/100
10) AMAAW 70/100
11) OSC 65/100

Ive never felt like this about an album or music in general like this before. This is my favorite, and may just the best album I'll ever encounter in my life. This is amazing. I cannot wait til Nov 23. U2 should wait 4 years more often lol.

City of Blinding Lights
I don't know what my fixation is with this song, but damn I love that chorus. OH - YOU - LOOK - SO - BEAUTIFUL TONIGHT... :heart:

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Not the only U2 song that's ever made me cry, but it is one of not very many. (And if you ever really need to cry, just listen to this one and Tomorrow in succession. :sad: )

A Man And A Woman
Don't ask me to explain this. I'm sure it'll be one of those songs I get sick of after a while, but for now: :up:

Vertigo
It has a special place in my heart. And it ROCKS. Still.

Love And Peace Or Else
In part because I was worried it was going to be very Peace On Earth-ish. Which, thankfully, it obviously isn't. Another rocker.

Miracle Drug
Feeling a little left out that this isn't on the top of my list, but I dunno, I think the hype was a little much. Maybe it needs a week or so to grow.

Original of the Species
Can't make up my mind about this one. It's low because sometimes I love it and sometimes I really don't. :shrug:

Crumbs From Your Table
Again, no explanation for you. This is all gut first-impressions.

All Because of you
One of those songs where Bono should probably shut up and let Edge take the stage, because... that's the good part.

Yahweh
Getting down to the bottom. This one... well, it has its merits. I know it does. They're not coming to mind, because I'm listening to the radio, but I know they're there. :|

One Step Closer
Dunno... just don't really feel it. Not that I don't like it. Just not my first pick. (In case you're completely blind...)

I'm going to look at this post sometime later and think, 'WHAT WAS I THINKING???' But that's okay. I'm like that about most things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom