Rank U2's new songs of 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WITS has to be the worst thing U2 has released in a long time. It belongs on X&Y. Seriously. 2/10 because it shows Bono can in fact rhyme.

Saints is a good remake, but it isn't their song. 7/10

Nube Gris said:
Rubin won't bring anything great to U2 in the future, U2 must see this clearly and bring back the producers who have brought the best in them......i think its too risky to try and experiment with new producers at this stage in their carreer.....at least WITS its not what we expect from U2

1) Just because this isn't top notch (though, in my opinion, damn close) doesn't mean the best isn't yet to come; compare Elvis Presley and America to Acrobat.

2) What are Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite (terribly appropriate name) going to do at this point? They were all great and fresh 15-20 years ago, but now it's all kinda eh.

3) The incredibly poor choice of time to change producers was for UF, though they got lucky and it started their 7 best years. Now is the time when they can have fun and people will still buy the albums and/or see the shows. See Aerosmith (but hopefully with less tribute act qualities.)

Last edited:
1. Window in the skies 11/10
2. The Saints Are Coming 10/10

Window in the skies is now one of my all time favourite u2 songs, and considering all the others are off boy and war I think thats saying something.
And I think hearing the saints are coming live has really improved the song in my opinion. It absolutely rocks live, and okay it may only be a cover song but man its one hell of a version!

partygirlvox said:

And I think hearing the saints are coming live has really improved the song in my opinion. It absolutely rocks live, and okay it may only be a cover song but man its one hell of a version!

When I saw Saints live the night the superdome opened I loved it immediately, cover or not. and I Absoutely love the video.
But can't say that about WITS. I liked it when I first heard it and it's good to hear it when I do, but I guess I'm waiting on the video.
Saints 9/10
WITS 6/10

Alright, using songs like the Fly or With or Without You or Stay or Streets as the gold standard 10/10 yardstick:

Window - 2/10
Saints - 4/10
Saints live - 6/10

Whoever said Window belongs on X&Y - nice one.

Saints live 8/10
Saints studio 7/10
WITS 6/10

I will grant that WITS is catchy, but it's catchy in the way a Coldplay or Maroon 5 tune is catchy, not in the way Vertigo was catchy. Vertigo had bite. This is Peeps.

I don't even count Saints. But if I had to, it's a failed experiment. I'd actually rather hear Billie Joe's voice than Bono's on that one. When Bono's voice enters the mix, it is too bombastic and destroys any subtely or build-up the song had going for it. The best thing about the song is the double drum attack. So I'd say 3/10.

Windows on the other hand, is decent. Not my favorite song by any means, and the chorus is really really REALLY annoying (this is a song u have to listen to once in a blue moon. If you keep this one on repeat u are gluttin for punishment). However, I like the arrangement (sans Edge's uninspired, phoned-in performance), and the band can play it well. The middle parts of the song are pure melodic heaven, and the verses aint bad either. Why in God's name did they butcher the chorus? If they went about the chorus in a different way, it could've been a great song. But for now, it's average. So I'd give it a 5. And for U2 these days, a 5 is actually pretty good.

Did someone say Vertigo has bite? I'd say it has a lot of bark. Not much bite. And it has also been neutered. And it's a chiwawa. A very noisy one. But no threat by any means.

I'm not suggesting that Windows has bite. It aims to be a cheesy pop song, and in the end that's what it is.

Some interesting thoughts expressed by you all.......

1. If I were in a band with an opportunity to record at Abbey Road, and I had even an inkling of interest in the Beatles, I'd probably arrange a song something like a Beatles song. So, Windows in the Sky earns a 7/10 because, while it's not exactly original, it's nicely articulated, and the references are clear as day light.

2. Recording with Green Day is a great idea. While fans of either U2 or Green Day aren't dwindling at all, there is a sort of cross-cultural-roads meeting of sorts on this particular song. Since I appreciate the music of both bands, Saints sort of makes me feel a level of comfort knowing both bands appreciate one another. 7/10 for finding the connecting vein.

:wink:

1. WITS (is that the sound of C. Martin and N. Gallagher crying their hearts out?)
2. Saints

No thoughts on "Tower Of Song"? Like "Saints" it's a cover/collaboration........from 2006......or are you all lazy and haven't heard it?

And what if Leonard Cohen did an album with U2 backing him? You know you'd like.

BigMacPhisto said:
No thoughts on "Tower Of Song"? Like "Saints" it's a cover/collaboration........from 2006......or are you all lazy and haven't heard it?

:yes: I did find the link though and will listen to the song.

:up: Niiiice.

According to the screenshots for the movie that used this song, would that be Bono on keyboards?

Last edited:
Tower of Song would actually earn an 8/10 from me. I'm sorry iTunes didn't see fit to let us buy it as a single. Another strikeout from them.

WITS - 8.5 - Not the best beginning but it really picks up last half of the song is brilliant

TSAC - 7.5 - Very good cover but I still prefer the original

Just as an aside, I hear Saints on the radio about 10 times a day, while I heard Window a few times in one week but not at all since. I think once it's formally released Window will replicate that - well in it's first week (!!New U2!!) then drop off the radar rapidly.

Earnie Shavers said:
Just as an aside, I hear Saints on the radio about 10 times a day, while I heard Window a few times in one week but not at all since. I think once it's formally released Window will replicate that - well in it's first week (!!New U2!!) then drop off the radar rapidly.

Saints has been out already so alot people have heard it and know it, so i would expect it to still have more airplay... I think after January 1st when WITS is released the tide will turn.

I know Saints has the backing of being a # 1 single, plus has the backing of having GreenDay on board (those two things alone guarantee it far more airplay than Window), but for a song that sounds like it's virtually designed to be a radio single (Window) to just drop off the face of the earth like that... I know it will bounce back onto the radio once the single is released, video gets further out there etc, but all I'm saying is that it's my prediction it will disappear just as quickly again.

Put it this way, if the song were that good, and the public had that kind of reaction to it, you'd still at least hear it every now and then between it breaking on air and getting decent airplay (which it did originally) and the release of the single. It's completely gone, and did so quite quickly.

Just my prediction: Window will initialy fly, but will never soar.

I won't rank saints
Windows...7/10...but just b/c I've been in a good mood lately...it's a happy sort of song

Back
Top Bottom