Rank the JT Side 2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

There's a whole generation now, that has never owned a record or cassette. All they know is CDs. There are no "sides" on CDs. So unless they are the few that still buy vinyl, they'll never really know what we're talking about.

I don't think that's true. Most people of my generation still understand what is meant by album "sides", that is prodived they even know what an album is :rolleyes:. It's just "Oh yay! I Nickelback's new cd the other day! WOOOOO!" No, you bought Nickelback's latest excuse for an album. You bought A cd with their album on it.

But yeah, those who know even a little bit about music understand what "sides" are.

1. One Tree Hill
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. Exit
4. In God's Country
5. Mothers of the Disappeared
6. Trip Through Your Wires

I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me. I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere (or maybe this was just wishful thinking on my part) but were U2 thinking about putting Heartland on The Joshua Tree. I believe they were thinking about putting it on instead of Trip Through Your Wires.....I could just be completely wrong here though....But if they did do that, then I think JT would surpass Achtung as being my favorite U2 record...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There's a whole generation now, that has never owned a record or cassette. All they know is CDs. There are no "sides" on CDs. So unless they are the few that still buy vinyl, they'll never really know what we're talking about.

I kind of see what you mean. I really don't like CDs for the fact that they just lump everything together whereas with an LP you have a sense of an album in two parts...giving one the impression that this is just another 'rank the songs' only with half an album :wink:

1. Red Hill Mining Town:drool:
2. One Tree Hill
3. Mothers Of The Disappeared
4. In God's Country
5. Exit

Besides Trip Through Your Wires (which is a good, but not great, song), those songs on the 2nd half of The Joshua Tree are amazing.

I actually prefer the 2nd half of JT much more than the first (although the 1st side is still special because it has Where The Streets Have No Name and Running To Stand Still on it :drool: )

U2One said:
I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me. I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere (or maybe this was just wishful thinking on my part) but were U2 thinking about putting Heartland on The Joshua Tree. I believe they were thinking about putting it on instead of Trip Through Your Wires.....I could just be completely wrong here though....But if they did do that, then I think JT would surpass Achtung as being my favorite U2 record...

Yes, U2 were initially considering including Heartland on JT, but one of them (Bono, I think) felt that it would make the album overly serious and critical of America, and he wanted to include a 'lighter' song instead. Thus, Trip Through Your Wires was included. I cannot understand why they used TTYW instead of Spanish Eyes.

I understand the version of Heartland on RAH is somewhat improved from the earlier version that would've ended up on JT.

Axver said:

I cannot understand why they used TTYW instead of Spanish Eyes.

I think it's because TTYW sounds meatier. It's a fuller sounding song with verse chorus bridge et all. Don't get me wrong.. I love Spanish Eyes and personally prefer it to TTYW but there's not much to SE lyrically except for that amazing intro and chorus! :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

I think it's because TTYW sounds meatier. It's a fuller sounding song with verse chorus bridge et all. Don't get me wrong.. I love Spanish Eyes and personally prefer it to TTYW but there's not much to SE lyrically except for that amazing intro and chorus! :shrug:

There doesn't need to be much lyrically. Spanish Eyes has the whole package. :heart:

The first three are a hard choice

1. In God's Country
2. Exit
3. Red Hill Mining Town
4. One Tree Hill
5. Trip Through Your Wires
6. Mothers of the Disappeared

Zootlesque said:

I think it's just because TTYW is more 'bluesy' and 'American', which Bono was fascinated with at the time. Remember, he wanted JT to go even further sonically in that direction. Also, it was written for Frank Sinatra to sing, so I imagine it meant more to Bono.

Nonetheless, I disagree with your assessment - I think TTYW's not that great, the only uninspired song on JT, while Spanish Eyes is fantastic and not just album-worthy, but single-worthy too. If it had been released as an a-side, I imagine it would have been very successful as it's so catchy and has that fantastic ringing guitar.

Lancemc said:

I don't think that's true. Most people of my generation still understand what is meant by album "sides", that is prodived they even know what an album is :rolleyes:. It's just "Oh yay! I Nickelback's new cd the other day! WOOOOO!" No, you bought Nickelback's latest excuse for an album. You bought A cd with their album on it.

But yeah, those who know even a little bit about music understand what "sides" are.

I didn't say there was a whole generation that didn't know, I said there was a whole generation that hasn't ever owned anything with "sides". Out of that generation it's interesting to think about how many don't know the concept.

I mean if you asked me what songs are on what side post AB, I would have no clue, for I haven't bought anything but CDs since then. Most you could guess and just divide it in half, but that's not always true...

gareth brown said:

I really don't like CDs for the fact that they just lump everything together whereas with an LP you have a sense of an album in two parts...giving one the impression that this is just another 'rank the songs' only with half an album :wink:

See I disagree. I think the CD has forced artists to approach the whole a lot differently. In the 80's some artists got lazy. Cassettes were the main format, and the format as a whole was a bitch because if you didn't like a song you had to fastforward and guess when the next song started. With CDs and records you could skip a lot easier... Therefore the 80's were filled with albums that were top heavy on one side, leaving the 2nd side inferior. Now that its all one, artists are going back to thinking of the whole again. You'll find a lot more albums now where the singles are spread throughout and not always in the first 5 songs.

[In response to Axver and Becky]
Also, maybe they felt Spanish Eyes would sound a bit too upbeat and happy between 2 serious masterpieces, In God's Country and One Tree Hill. Sure TTYW is upbeat too but not as much as Spanish Eyes! :hmm: :shrug:

Whatever it is, I'm listening to JT side 2 right now.. except I replaced TTYW with SE and it's awesome! :love: :combust:

1. Red Hill Mining Town
2. One Tree Hill
3. In God's Country
4. Exit
5. Mothers of the Disappeared

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I owned many cassettes as a youngster. Can I still play? :wink:

1. In God's Country
2. One Tree Hill
3. Red Hill Mining Town
4. Exit
5. Mothers Of The Disappeared

1. One Tree Hill (specially live) some solos on LT tour :drool:
2. In God's Country (again live is just ) :drool:
3. Exit
4. Mothers
5. Trip Through your wires
6. Red Hill

This is so hard..

1. One Tree Hill
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. In God's Country
4. Exit
5. Mothers Of The Disappeared

1) "Mothers of the Disappeared"
2) "Mothers of the Disappeared"
3) "Mothers of the Disappeared"
4) "Mothers of the Disappeared"
5) "Mothers of the Disappeared"
6) "Mothers of the Disappeared"

1. One Tree Hill
2. Mothers Of The Disappeared
3. Red Hill Mining Town
4. In God's Country
5. Exit (although the live version rocks)
6. Trip Through Your Wires (I love this song, but it can't top the others)

Back
Top Bottom