Rank Hamish Hamilton directed DVDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i watched boston and slane , i had more then enough , both were so awful
instead i have a wonderful video with good people of Brazil
:)

Boston
Milan
Slane
Chicago.

Boston, for what it's worth, is second only to Popmart in the world of U2 concert videos, as far as I'm concerned. Great performances, and I rather like the direction. It fits the U2 of the time.

Milan is the better of the Vertigo-era shoots, the energy in that stadium is unbelievable... but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of this era of U2 in general, so it's a little hard to rank this too high... the songs are great, as always, and the Edge is on fire :) but post 9/11 Bono still irritates me.

Slane was a bit of a missed opportunity, I think... the setlist that night was probably the least interesting setlist of the whole European tour, and the Elevation setup in general is a little underwhelming outdoors (that whole "moment" in the middle of the opening song is simply lost). But All I Want is You --> Streets is one of U2's all time great moments, so it's great to have that on film.

And finally...Chicago. What a mess... not only do we get to see Bono at his most longwinded and obnoxious, we get a really sterile film to match it. It looks like everyone in that arena was trying ever so hard to be serious... it's a rock show, for crying out loud. See the Rattle and Hum DVD for how to do serious properly. Hamish also manages to miss not one but BOTH blinding light moments (City and the middle of Streets)... and, to add insult to injury, the band contributes a lousy version of New Years Day. The out of syncness in Zoo Station is pretty obviously awful, but by that point you've either got over the faults or turned off the DVD... I usually opt for the latter.

T

1. Slane - anybody could have directed it and it still would have been a masterpiece...but only because of the band

2. Boston

3. Milan

4. Chicago - my least favorite. All his videos have the same look.

Are we annoyed at Hamish because his films are shot way too close, are too edit-crazy, and miss key concert moments?

For me, Zoo TV was a great DVD -- but fairly dull from a film-shoot perspective. It looks much more like video than Hamish's work.

1. Boston
2. Milan
3. Slane
4. Chicago

Strictly speaking, Milan is probably shot better than Boston, but my love for the Boston DVD knows no bounds (though honestly, it's the performances that make that one awesome for me, not the direction)

I don't know which ones are better or worse but I can definitely say that the Chicago one is the worst of the lot! The intro to the whole freaking show and he completely misses the shimmering lights at the very beginning of COBL. :|

Back
Top Bottom