Random thoughts on the new record.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I really, really hope this album is more energetic than ATYCLB. That's what I think makes U2's live sound so special; it's about unbelievable energy, emotion and passion. If they could channel this energy, and achieve that sound on record... wow.

This record will be a challenge for U2. I think it will make or break the rest of their career... The media will jump on it if it's even the slightest failure; the backlash would be huge. But at the same time, they are in quite the unique position... people are going to buy this record, and they're going to want to see what U2 has to say at this point in time. I also believe they're waiting to see what U2 can do musically. Pressure's on Edge! :)

Will it be politically charged? Or will it be more personal?

I wonder what the record's underlying themes will be...

Lyrics... come on Bono... give us your best.

Despite everything I've just said, the band really only needs to be true to theirselves in order to make a great record. Hope this happens.

Last edited:
Finally a new thread on this side og the forum.

It's imposible to say what kind of album we will see, but a more energetic album will certainly be welcome. But i don't think media or critics will make or break the rest of their career - i think we will... the audience, the fans.

ElectricalVoice said:
Finally a new thread on this side og the forum.

It's imposible to say what kind of album we will see, but a more energetic album will certainly be welcome. But i don't think media or critics will make or break the rest of their career - i think we will... the audience, the fans.

True, but I think the two can go hand-in-hand. Just look what happened to Pop.

This album will be U2 holding nothing back... in terms off full-on garage rock. It will be Edge to the max on everysingle track. I think it will do very well and be well recieved. It will be a 180 from ATYCLB and will fit well with the war going on right now. The album will be very agressive.

I promise you. If not I will cut out my right nut and present it to you on a pillow.

Dorian Gray said:

True, but I think the two can go hand-in-hand. Just look what happened to Pop.

Like many other fans here, I happen to like POP (well most of it anyways) and I really hated how that show on VH1 "Legends", treated it like it was the biggest failure of all time........ok, not to get off topic.....

I'm really looking forward to much more energy on this album than ATYCLB, although i loved it I really want to see them do something different and I certainly don't believe they're too old to be more energetic.

Don't you hate it when on every appearance recently especially on "Larry King Live"...they were asked if they're gonna quit anytime soon to which I love Bono's answer that after a couple of crap records we're gonna call it quits, but it hasn't happened yet...and I don't think it's gonna happen soon....can't wait till the new album no matter what it sounds like.

bayernfc said:

Like many other fans here, I happen to like POP (well most of it anyways) and I really hated how that show on VH1 "Legends", treated it like it was the biggest failure of all time........ok, not to get off topic.....

I love Pop actually... what I meant is that the media took the idea of U2 supposedly going techno and blasted it. Soon, everybody was criticizing it, and the album subsequently flopped. (in the US)

I just hope this doesn't happen for the next record.

Last edited:
taken from atu2.com

Bono describes the new album thusly: "It's full-on, a full-throttle record. It's like punk rock made on Venus. It is a mad sound The Edge is making. People are saying, 'Bono, people are sick of you. You've been around, you've been winning all these awards. You have to go away for a while.' This record is so good that it won't even matter that people are sick of U2. And by the way, I'm sick of Bono - and I am Bono." The article says Bono "hopes" the album is out by the end of this year.

Well, it does sound encouraging. Of course this is coming from Bono, and we know how he hyped ATYCLB to be this giant gutiar/rock record.

And of course I see that the timeline for the album has moved back as well. I rememeber reading on here a long time ago that people thought this album would be out in Fall 2004. Well, I wouldn't be surprised.

I do hope it's everything Bono says. I just wish we could have it sooner.

You know what I have never heard Bono to sat ATYCLB was supposed to be a big guitar record. People on this forum have been saying this. The only people I ever remember saying this were the media and people close to U2. It was reporters during the recording setions that kept saying these things not Bono. Bono always eluded to a soulfull more molodic record which it was. Yes there were songs they were working on that were more guitar drivin and harder but they were saved for latter. The reports from the people at the studio were listening and repoting. Bono just talked about how this record was a culmonation of all the years they had been working together.

Gickies Gageeze said:
anything but another atyclb will be fine with me. im pretty sure, anyway.

Agreed.

Hopefully a one-word title... you know, for T-shirts and crap.

They really have to make a ball-buster for a next album (sorry for the pun gherman)... otherwise what's the point. If they seem to be enjoying it, why won't we enjoy it as well?

Personally, and as a fan, I don't want to hear a "reflection" album. After two best of compilations, it's time to move on. Push out that envelope and make something significant.

Screw the media... they couldn't report their way out of a wet paper bag.

Hmmm... this gives me an idea for a new record title:

Wet Paper Bag.

BEAL -

I second the comment that neither Bono nor U2 ever said it was going to be a big rock/guitar record. They always referred to it as a soul record. I don't even know where the guitar record rumour came from, but it wasn't Bono or U2. I think it was fueled the most by the fans, to be honest. I remember, actually, a rumour on Interference that cited someone close to Interscope who had heard the record and that it was allegedly "more hard rocking than expected". It was never the band.

Last edited:
I disagree... Bono has said from day one it would be a guitar record on every interview he did... see Full Metal Jacket etc...

I think on u2.com he said they were banging on trash bins or something... hard rock indeed.

I'm pretty sure Cujo is talking about ATYCLB too. I'm not sure.

I remember Bono saying it would be a rock album/guitar record too. I thought I remembered reading that. Who knows, I'm confused.

OK, sorry the posts are a little out of sequence... been dipping into the Pilskies eh Mikey?

I know he talked about atyclb as a hard rock. it was in a magazine. he also said that it would be the best rock record of the year.

Bono described ATYCLB as the "best rock record of the year," which didn't categorize it as hard rock. I mean, even Fleetwood Mac is considered "rock"! Bono also described the overall record as being a "typical joyous U2 record, with white soul, trip-hop, hardcore." (I take this to mean 'Elevation'.) I remember this was actually in an Italian magazine, translated, so who knows what he really said. The one thing the band kept calling it was a soul record -- which it is.

Last edited:
I'd love to see more songs like Mofo. Mofo had a ton of strength and edge to it, and I think that kind of approach would serve the band well with the next album.

Back
Top Bottom