Racial Stereotypes...this worries me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I know this is beat to death and you all want to talk about other thingts, but I have kept my mouth shutm for the most part, and i want to touch on something.

I found this event sooo disturbing and horrific on MANY levels, and I am not from the states. One thing that grated me was that high US officials said the terrorists were 5 muslims...why??? Becuase they're names were on the passenger list. That very predjudiced, is it not? Could it not be one of the white ones?

I gringe to think of how a group of 3 or 4 muslim teens will be treated from now on as they board a plane on New York or Boston!

Listen, I have been impacted by this immensly, I have grieved and I have even wept a little, but it seems to me that Bushes "Hunt down and punish" policy is becoming the centre of everyones objective for the coming weeks.

I know this may sound harsh but I hope they find out it was just a group of average men who have been planning this for years. Not a country, not a terrorist organization...just 9 or 10 men all dead now anyway. Where would our sweet revenge be then?I've heard many people saying on TV that all terrorists nations should be nuked!! Yes, NUKED!! That is soooo scary, nuclear war is my worse fear, I wish all nukes could somehow be dismantled, but its just not possible.
I've heard one man say all the islam people should be terminated!

I have so often thought about the Bible in these last few days. The Bible keeps mentioning how the middle-east will be the centre of attention in the last days and is it pure coincidence that, indeed, that is the case? In the end, I can almost garuntee you this tragedy will shift its focus almost entirley to the middle-east ONCE AGAIN. This is just too scary for me, I have been thinking non-stop lately about my life.

------------------
"We got no style...swagger...but no style"

WHY??
1. Several passengers on the doomed planes reached their families before they died. They all reported the terrorists to be middle eastern, wearing red headgear and carrying knives.
2.Voices heard from the cockpits had middle eastern accents
3.Intercepted messages between the terrorists and Bin Laden or his cohorts which reported 'target destroyed.' This was leaked by US Senator Orrin Hatch and upset Colin Powell when he heard it came out.
4.Several men taken into custody in connection are all Arabic and had been taking flight lessons in the US.

It is unfortunate that innocent middle eastern people have been terrorized, but we cannot for our own national security ignore them all out of fear of being called 'stereotyping' (PC-ness) to the point where the actual guilty parties escape. I think the reason the horrendous terrorist acts were allowed to occur in the first place is because those suspicious of the eventual terrorists failed to take action or even speak out in fear of being accused of racial 'stereotyping'. (POLITICAL CORRECTNESS) These guys paid $25,000 for flight lessons and yes the school was suspicious. Maybe these evil men could have been stopped if some people had not been afraid to speak up. PC is censorship. It became deadly.

YES- most middle eastern people are good and peace loving and they should not all be lumped into one category or terrorized! But we can't let our touchiness over worrying over their feelings stop us from tracking down the guilty ones. I have been so afraid this would happen and it would hinder the investigation. I am very angry at those who attacked those Muslims, not only because it was a bad thing to do but they may have hurt our investigation by bringing too much PC touchiness into it(in plain language-being afraid to be suspicous of Arabs and questioning them out of fear of being called racist!) This is a matter of national security here, it's VERY important.

I agree that we need to be very careful about judging people just because we think they look like the people who did this. But please understand that US officials' claim that the terrorists were muslim was based on actual evidence, not just assumptions or stereotypes.

I too wish that they would have found that this was 9 or 10 men working on their own, but the FBI has already found that it goes way beyond that.

There are idiots out there who are responding in idiotic ways (blaming all muslims for this, wanting to "nuke all terrorist nations), but thankfully these idiots aren't in control and are definitely in the minority.

Originally posted by Basstrap:
One thing that grated me was that high US officials said the terrorists were 5 muslims...why??? Becuase they're names were on the passenger list. That very predjudiced, is it not? Could it not be one of the white ones?

i agree with you almost entirely but it seems apparent that authorities had more to go on then the simple apparent ethnicity of names on a passenger list. they probably did not need to mention the muslims part, but i am quite certain they did not begin their search by looking for ethnic names on the list.

Back
Top Bottom