R U2 Sell Outs???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vox626

The Fly
That will be the question everyone is going to ask if they play the Super Bowl!!!! Well I say, HELL NO!!!! GOD BLESS THEM!!!!! I hope they play where the streets have no name and blow the fucking roof off the stadium!!!!! A rock group seems to have only 2 options these days.....

1) Dont get popular, play clubs and bars and maybe a SMALL arena and you wont be a sellout!!

2) Write songs that people like, in fact like so much that they would want you to play them in front of lets say........50,000 people at the super bowl, but then your a sellout!!!

Fuck that, if being in a band means you cant play large events, especially when people are coming up to YOU and asking, then everything sucks. The only way I would consider U2 to be sellouts is if they sold their songs to commercials, why????? because the whole point of a commercial is to SELL a product and that is lame!!! The super bowl performance would be ENTERTAINMENT! There is a difference. SO for anyone who would rather U2 still be that BOY/October group they once were.....FUCK YOU! They have earned respect and have gotten so huge that they are OFFERED to play these events. They wole idea of music is to spread it to the masses, not to play it to the same 15 people every year!!!

Originally posted by vox626:
That will be the question everyone is going to ask if they play the Super Bowl!!!! Well I say, HELL NO!!!! GOD BLESS THEM!!!!! I hope they play where the streets have no name and blow the fucking roof off the stadium!!!!! A rock group seems to have only 2 options these days.....

1) Dont get popular, play clubs and bars and maybe a SMALL arena and you wont be a sellout!!

2) Write songs that people like, in fact like so much that they would want you to play them in front of lets say........50,000 people at the super bowl, but then your a sellout!!!

Fuck that, if being in a band means you cant play large events, especially when people are coming up to YOU and asking, then everything sucks. The only way I would consider U2 to be sellouts is if they sold their songs to commercials, why????? because the whole point of a commercial is to SELL a product and that is lame!!! The super bowl performance would be ENTERTAINMENT! There is a difference. SO for anyone who would rather U2 still be that BOY/October group they once were.....FUCK YOU! They have earned respect and have gotten so huge that they are OFFERED to play these events. They wole idea of music is to spread it to the masses, not to play it to the same 15 people every year!!!

Ahh. I give you the proverbial Baptistian A----Men... Well said, I completely fell heads first for U2 when I bought the U2 Sarajevo boot, and Was sad to read the backlash to pop, when I just loved it, With ATYCLB, They came out with a f#cking awesome album, excellent songs, and excellent songs that were still U2, but ones that everyone loves, You should see the reaction to Beautiful Day at a Dorm party up here.. And I'm so happy to see them getting the laudations they deserve for it.. I couldn't stop smiling after the grammy awards.. And as long as they keep giving out U2, like with the new album, just as long as it's not ATYCLB 2.. There won't be any public backlash like I hear happened after Rattle n hum

Does anyone see any sort of parallel to what's happening now and what happened during the Joshua Tree tour and R&H era? You couldn't go anywhere without seeing or hearing U2, the press either loved or hated them, etc. I just hope what happened then doesn't happen now. I think that's what a lof of us have been afraid of here especially after they extended the Elevation tour, but this time around I think they're being a lot smarter about it. It's been over a year since ATYCLB came out, and no hints at a backlash yet.

------------------
A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around

A Sellout would be if they told all the fans to go screw themselves because they have made all the money they need to make and don't feel like entertaining the likes of us anymore. Playing shows like this only prove that they are totally in it for their fans and not the money. They spoke about this the other night, they still have things they want to do, hell they don't NEED to do anything, they WANT to do this. A sellout would quit touring and stay home and count the money--NOT U2!!!

U2 aren't sell outs, although making a deal with Best Buy for an exclusive promo cd doesn't excactly support that opinion.

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
U2 aren't sell outs, although making a deal with Best Buy for an exclusive promo cd doesn't excactly support that opinion.

I look at it this way the DVD at Best Buy cost me 17.99 plus tax under 20.00 and if a deal with Best Buy keeps the price down for the fans then I am all for it. Best Buy paid U2 to the rights to sell the DVD and I must admit I did buy three CD's while I was there. A win win for the fans, Best Buy and U2.

I don't think playign the superbowl classifies them as sellouts..but it is slightly on the lame side considering that aerosync crap they pulled last year.

Sellouts?? No, selling out is not sticking to what's important to you. Selling out is producing something and selling it only to make money. It just so happens that what U2 likes to produce musically just so happens to be what we want.

I'm a big fan of DMB, but I feel they sold out on their last album. Too much pressure from the record company I guess. In case noone knows, DMB had a record almost done with our man Steve Lillywhite as the producer (now known as the Lillywhite sessions). DMB's record label thought it was too "dark" and wouldn't sell. So they hooked him up with another producer and released "Another Day". Without the record company's influence, DMB would have released the Lillywhite album.

So has this happened to U2? No, don't think so. They are ultra buddies with Jimmy Iovine, head of interscope. In case noone knows the connection there, Iovine produced Under Blood Red Sky and Rattle & Hum.

So to recap this uncanny post, U2 aren't sellouts but they love to sell.

------------------
Not CK

[This message has been edited by Krasno The Great (edited 11-27-2001).]

if tehy were sellouts...it wouldn't be a recent thing...and just cos a band wants to make some money..doesn't mean tehy are sellouts...with zootv and popmart you got an amazing product with a pretty low ticket price..how many bands would tour the world twice and not want to see big money???..this kind of crap sickens me

Ok, now I think I am getting pissed. WTF are you all talking about selling out and doing it for the money? They could give a rats ass about the money they will make from the SuperBowl gig I am sure. I mean it's not like they NEED more money. Did any of you stop to think that maybe this is another way they can let some of the fans see them that wouldn't get to see them otherwise? and hey, it's a freebie that is on television to those of us at home. It's called MARKETING and obviously they are very good at it. How many other bands give rooftop concerts to anyone that wants to come listen? I sincerely believe they just want to let as many people hear their music that want to hear it they may not be able to otherwise. There are thousands of people out there that would love to go to a concert but can't afford to or simply can't get tickets, maybe this ones for them. Just a little food for thought, so chew it up good, swallow it and quit worrying about U2 selling out.

Originally posted by dangerous&Honest:
Ok, now I think I am getting pissed. WTF are you all talking about selling out and doing it for the money? They could give a rats ass about the money they will make from the SuperBowl gig I am sure. I mean it's not like they NEED more money. Did any of you stop to think that maybe this is another way they can let some of the fans see them that wouldn't get to see them otherwise? and hey, it's a freebie that is on television to those of us at home. It's called MARKETING and obviously they are very good at it. How many other bands give rooftop concerts to anyone that wants to come listen? I sincerely believe they just want to let as many people hear their music that want to hear it they may not be able to otherwise. There are thousands of people out there that would love to go to a concert but can't afford to or simply can't get tickets, maybe this ones for them. Just a little food for thought, so chew it up good, swallow it and quit worrying about U2 selling out.

A little hint....it helps to read more than the topic line. I believe everyone here was talking about how they weren't sellouts.

By the way, I agree with you about it being a great opportunity for the fans that can't attend the concerts to be able to see them. I've never been able to go to a concert and I love catching them on t.v. every chance I get.

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 11-27-2001).]

why would U2 be considered sell outs?

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
why would U2 be considered sell outs?

Because they sold out arenas. Damn them! I'm no longer a fan.

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Well, I would never say that they are "sell outs" ...until they sign an exclusive deal with Burger King and put out glass goblets with their faces on it a'la Lord of the Rings.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
Well, I would never say that they are "sell outs" ...until they sign an exclusive deal with Burger King and put out glass goblets with their faces on it a'la Lord of the Rings.
wink.gif

are you calling 'Lord of the Rings' a sellout, if that's even grammatically correct?

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Wouldnt it be cool if they kicked ass at the Super Bowl and decided to do another stadium tour after their new album was released? Cmon... It COULD happen... Lets get the wheels of enthusiasm goin here... stadium tour!! WOOOO

I don't get this... why does it matter if a band sells out or not?! isn't it about the music? first we were chirping over the "rediculous" ticket prices... then some of us were chirping about the 3rd leg, and now we're chirping about a Super Bowl performance... why does it matter?

I thought it was about the music, but I guess I'm dead wrong.

------------------
Hey Nico, stay strong in this world.
My girl, ignore their cold words.
The song of your heart's so true, the sai is a way for you.
Hey Nico, stay strong in this world, my girl.

SlipStream Soul

No, I am not insinuating that Lord of the Rings is a "sell out" (if you can even say that?)

Lord of the Rings + Burger King = A Whopper with extra cheese.
wink.gif

------------------
The idiot who put the DVD on his Christmas wish list. What was I thinking!?! That is a WHOLE month away!

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
No, I am not insinuating that Lord of the Rings is a "sell out" (if you can even say that?)

Lord of the Rings + Burger King = A Whopper with extra cheese.
wink.gif

who among us wouldn't want an adam glass goblet?

------------------

Back
Top Bottom