Quotes from old U2 articles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivergoat

War Child
Not sure where I should post this...

I recently scanned and posted a bunch of old pics in PLEBA, from a small collection of pop-rag magazine articles I had torn out of the magazines back in 1984-85 (or thereabouts). I got to thinking that perhaps some of the quotes from these articles probably haven't been heard by alot of folks these days, so I'll post them here. I've tried to 'time-stamp' these quotes, sometimes just by what he article talks about. Sorry for any redundancy with what's already out there.

Bono (on why U2 doesn't do many interviews anymore): "There was this guy called Bono who went on about this and that and I really didn't know him. In fact I hated him. And that's why I'm worried about you talking to our fans because there is no typical U2 fan. It's hard for me to explain, but there's this collective thing, a kind of consciousness between all of us and that's best explained through music, not words. That's the whole point, that it's indefinable - if you could express it simply, it wouldn't mean a thing. I'm not trying to be difficult, t's just the way I feel." (Unforgettable Fire tour, unknown date, Manchester's Apollo Theater)

Bono: "I've never been to a U2 concert, so I just can't think of why anyone would want to come, but I'm very glad they do." (1985 - Unforgettable Fire tour)

The Edge: "All our albums sold a million each - platinum - I think. But we're still a cult band. They say we're the biggest cult band in America." (1985 - Unforgettable Fire tour)

Bono: "I think alot of the vanity that is rock and roll at the moment is just people who are afraid to look at themselves straight in the mirror. They're afraid of what they might see. Rock and roll is just skin deep at the moment. There's not a lot of soul music being made in 1985." (1985 - Unforgettable Fire tour)

The Edge: "If we aren't feeling that buoyant when we go onstage, we're just taken up by the crowd and carried along."

All these Adam quotes are from the same article printed in Seventeen magazine Aug 85.

Adam: "Bono writes ninety-seven percent of the lyrics, since he's got to sing them - but I never listen to them. We really don't think that much about what we're doing when we're writing; emotionally, we know it feels right. All our decisions, artistic and political, are based on a kind of collective instinct."

Adam on Bono: "Bono is pretty intense, very much an Irishman. He's loud and aggressive in what he's trying to do, yet he has that lyrical side. For a long time, he couldn't decide which accent to sing in - he went from a cockney to an East Coast American accent. It took him a long time to establish his own singing voice, not authentic Irish, but with an Irish flavor."

Adam on The Edge: "He's very neat and dapper, something of an eccentric and vague at the same time."

Adam on Larry: "He likes to get on with the job and doesn't intellectualize."

Adam: "The most important thing to us was the alienation we felt, the feeling that apart from music, we were a generation that didn't have much to look forward to."

Adam: "U2 is a celebration of normality, with something deeper, about humanity."

Adam (when asked to sum up the essence of U2): "Ear to heart."

Bono: "We've taken the love that was a part of '60s rock and the anger that was a part of punk. We want a spiritual side to our music as well as a raucous and rowdy side. I think we have never achieved the balance we're looking for, and perhaps never will. But that's what we want from our music - freedom, I suppose. And a little bit of humanity." - Newsweek, Dec31 1984

The Edge: "What we're trying to do musically is to combine or bridge what I would call the post-blues approach of the punk-rock period with some of the better aspects of the earlier, more blues-oriented rock." (this quote is from a 1987 newspaper article)

just a note: much of what was in these articles was repetitive (no surprise!) Some of it I have seen elsewhere, so I didn't post it here. That's it...

}: )~

Those are some fantastic quotes. Thanks for posting them!

Back
Top Bottom