Quite unbelievablely, today I decided that ATYCLB is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
my favorite U2 album. I loved it from the moment it came out, but I always put off declaring it the "best." But now, it truly is my fav. I never thought anything could top AB (and in sheer terms of coolness nothing ever will) but as an album, from beginning to end, I truly think that it is U2's finest effort. Not that this post is in any way groundbreaking, but I am a longtime U2 fan (well, 8 years anyway)who loves AB, UF and the Joshua Tree and I really think ATYCLB will go down as U2's finest hour, and to have thought that U2's finest hour was still to come back in 97 during the POP backlash....I mean who would have thought it possible?

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Good for you! I didn't love it immediately, it took a few listens because I was so numb at first. I mean we waited soooo long that my expectations were beyond.

I think that maybe ATYCLB paved/is paving the way for their best record ever, the next one!!!!!!

We shall see.

BTW, I do rank ATYCLB about equal to JT and AB. All three timeless and masterpieces, it really depends on your mood.

Damn Hitman!

I feel the same way. It just hit me about a week ago when I was going through a dilemna with a girl and I still haven't taken it out of my car stereo.

I used to love it, but it has not aged well in my mind. It now ranks as one of my least favorite U2 albums (perhaps the least favorite)

Originally posted by mug222:
I used to love it, but it has not aged well in my mind. It now ranks as one of my least favorite U2 albums (perhaps the least favorite)

This is almost exactly how I feel about "Pop." I really liked it when it was released, but when I listened to it lately, it just didn't sit well with me. I didn't even want to hear "Pop" songs that much in concert! That's not to say I dislike "Pop" - but it's just not the album I'll be reaching for again soon.

Beautiful Day, Walk On and Kite are among my favorite U2 songs, but overall I don't feel the album is as strong from top to bottom as JT, AB, Zooropa or Pop... so I guess it would rank as about my 5th favorite; sorry, I am just not that crazy about songs like Grace, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World and Elevation -- they are decent songs, but I rarely play ATYCLB from start to finish anymore

ATYCLB has been gathering dust on my shelf for about a year now...I can't imagine what would compell me to put it in the CD changer. I'd listen to live airings of Kite or Walk On occasionally but that's about it.

Zooropa and POP, on the other hand...well let's just say I'm listening to Lemon as I write. Truly albums that are ahead of their time.

I will probably be always biased towards ATYCLB because it was the first U2 album I bought and loved, but after year and a half I still think that it's the strongest bunch of tunes the guys ever put out (When I Look At The World is the only song I'm indifferent to). It's certainly not their most daring work and the least sonically interesting album they've ever done, but I just can't count it against it when you have such beautiful joyful music with tons of hooks and soul, all soaked in Bono's weathered intimate vocals.

I must say that it's Zooropa and POP that slipped down my personal U2 album rankings. At first I was completely intrigued by how incredibly different they sounded from U2 that I've heard before, but after the "oh my God is this really U2" novelty wore off most of the songs themselves just didn't prove strong enough, especially on Zooropa. I still love Lemon, Stay, The First Time and Dirty Day live, though. In comparison, Boy & October are the two albums I've come to appreciate much, much more with time; who knows, maybe I'll even grow to like War someday.

I loved all the song on ATYCLB right away, and I played it over and over and over again when I first bought it. Then I kind of had to put it away for awhile because I just needed to hear SOMETHING else. For me, it was weird liking all the songs from that album right away. For example, it took me a little while with basically all of their 90s albums, but once it hit me, that was it. I hope this makes sense...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

ATYCLB is not that big a deal.Kite is a big deal now thats ground breaking but the rest is alright.achtung baby is the best and all the rebal u2 records from boy to unforgetable fire.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

As for some, my ATYCLB has been getting some dust, its still AB to me, Zoroopa, Pop and JT there, and ATYCLB a bit below.
That is the thing with U2, it has something for every one, I still know people that think War is their best work, or others that love R&H, matter of tastes.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

ATYCLB is by far my favorite too! I can't stop listening to the first 7 songs. They are all so fresh sounding and full of life that other U2 songs are lacking on Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree for me. I think its their best!!!
smile.gif

I think ATYCLB could have been U2's best album, but the whole thing just feels a little diluted. I think it is their least experimental and alternative record, but it still has soem strong songs.

IMO, it goes JT, POP, AB, UF, ATYCLB

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

I don't know why Pop is so unsung - its gutsy, passionate, and playful. Maybe it was cause the tour was unpopular, and also because apparently, it didn't sell too well, and lots of people judge an album by its sales numbers.

But that record (Pop) has some of their greatest work to date. Its a shame they didn't use more of it on the Elevation tour, when I saw them, both times they played Discotheque/Staring at the Sun, and it was a really stand out song, how Edge makes those delicious sounds, I will never know.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

You are right. Discotheque/Staring At The Sun was one of the highlights for me of the last tour also.

ATYCLB is better live - similar to most U2 albums. Beautiful Day and New York are my favourites, the SIAM CD single capturing the live performances perfectly.

Originally posted by wertsie:
Wow! Somebody listing POP as their second-favorite. I salute you!

Start saluting about 50% of the people on this board!

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by NShaik:
I think ATYCLB could have been U2's best album, but the whole thing just feels a little diluted. I think it is their least experimental and alternative record, but it still has soem strong songs.

IMO, it goes JT, POP, AB, UF, ATYCLB

Wow! Somebody listing POP as their second-favorite. I salute you!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

ATYCLB is a very interesting album in that it is, perhaps, their most quiet album, their most subdued work -- yet, and perhaps because of this, is able to creep under the skin and kind of ooze to that place where it becomes infectiously warm. It's like an extroardinary tale wrapped around ordinary events, like a book you can't put down in spite of its simplicity.

Bono was right on, when he said, before the album came out, "It's like a Beatles record...". It very much reminds of of Rubber Soul in that its warmth permeates itself around the listener. The attraction doesn't come from the sound so much as it does from the feeling that surrounds this record. It's like a warm blanket. Your very favourite warm blanket. And the more you sleep in it, the more you live in it, the more you understand its tenderness, and the more you are willing to open your eyes to the beautiful detail within the fabric. And you begin to see colours you never knew existed in it.

You begin to hear the subtle backdrops inside the songs, the swirls of sonic twists seeping through the walls in the bridge of Beautiful Day, for example. You begin to get lost, you feel yourself on the edge of the harmonies, against the backdrop of screaming guitar, just when the chorus kicks in again -- and all of a sudden it feels familiar to you.

This is why I keep coming back to this album.

Is it there best to date? I couldn't argue the point, but I can't say it is, either. That's the remarkable thing about U2. You can't put them into any kind of box. If you do, they usually have you asking many more questions than the answers you thought you came up with. And now I'm just talking nonsense....

------------------
The Tempest

Michael Griffiths, it is nice to see you posting.
smile.gif
Very good analysis. And yes, it made sense.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom